Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lawmakers Want Army to Apologize for Attacks on Christians

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM
  • 80 Replies

At least a dozen members of Congress have signed a letter demanding the Secretary of the Army rescind and apologize for a briefing that labeled Evangelical Christians and Catholics as religious extremist groups, Fox News has learned.

“This is astonishing and offensive,” read a draft of the letter written by Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-CO). “We call on you to rescind this briefing and apologize for its content and set the record straight on the Army’s view on these faith groups by providing a balanced briefing on religious extremism.”

Material presented to soldiers at training session.

Material presented to soldiers at training session.

Lamborn is referring to an Army training session conducted last year that featured a presentation listing Evangelical Christianity and Catholicism as examples of extremism – alongside Al Qaeda and Hamas.

Army spokesman George Wright later said it was an isolated incident not condoned by the Dept. of the Army. And the slide, he said, was not produced by the Army nor did it reflect their policy or doctrine.

“To say that Evangelicals or Catholics are somehow in the same league with Al Qaeda or the KKK is outrageous,” Lamborn told Fox News.

He said it appeared the Army was using material gleaned from the Southern Poverty Law Center.

“I’m amazed that the army would listen to voices of intolerance that would play fast and loose with these kinds of labels,” he told Fox News. “I’m concerned this group has any sway with the Army.”

The training briefing is just the latest in a number of incidents involving attacks on the Christian faith within the ranks of the military.

Fox News obtained a copy of an email written by a lieutenant colonel at Fort Campbell identifying the Family Research Council and American Family Association, two prominent Christian ministries, as “domestic hate groups.” Read the email by clicking here.

Rep. Steve King (R-IA) told Fox News he believes there is an anti-Christian movement within the military.

“There’s been an effort for a long time to marginalize Christianity,” King told Fox News. “I wonder why that is?”

King said the latest incidents remind him of when the Army banned Bibles from Walter Reed Army Medical Center. The rule was later rescinded.

“They said it was done out of ignorance,” King said. “I don’t believe it was. I believe some anti-Christian wrote that in.”

King is among the lawmakers who signed the letter to the Secretary of the Army and he’s prepared to call military officials to Capitol Hill to explain the recent incidents.

“If we’ve got to have the FBI going through federal documents scrubbing out anything that might be critical of Muslims, we surely can’t allow an anti-Christian movement taking place within our own United States military,” King said.

Army spokesman George Wright denied there is any anti-Christian movement in the military.

“The notion that the Army is taking an anti-religion or anti-Christian stance is contrary to any of our policies, doctrines and regulations,” said Wright. “Any belief that the Army is out to label religious groups in a negative manner is without warrant.”

Lamborn’s letter to the Army acknowledges that religious extremism is a serious topic.

“But equating these major world religions with violent extremist groups is simply not acceptable,” Lamborn wrote. “This briefing reveals an anti-religion bias rather than a rational approach to religious extremism.”

Some of the nation’s top religious leaders have condemned the military’s attacks on Christianity – and all of them place the blame on the Obama Administration.

“This is reprehensible,” said Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission. “The people who are responsible should be severely reprimanded.”

Land called for an investigation to determine if there is an anti-Christian movement afoot in the military.

“It’s not only warranted, I think it’s essential,” Land told Fox News. “It’s absolutely required. This needs to be stopped and we have to have guarantees that it doesn’t happen again.”

source

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM
9 moms liked this

But they are religous extremists. Since when is calling a duck a duck reason for an apology?

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

They are extremists when you don't agree with what they stand for and wanty to stifle their freedom to say so.

Quoting UpSheRises:

But they are religous extremists. Since when is calling a duck a duck reason for an apology?

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm surprised these folks aren't up in arms about Israel or Judaism being on the list.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Couple things, Candle.

1- Lamborn seems to suggest that only non-major religions should or could be considered violent or extremist. Because Christianity is so factionalized- it isn't difficult to discern that there could be groups within (any major religion) that are more extreme or violent than the general member of one of those religions. 

2- We get a nice 'reprehensible' from Richard Land who got yelled at by the Southern Baptist Convention and removed as ethics commission leader after he said this kind of thing- 

“Instead of letting the legal process take its independent course, race mongers are anointing themselves judge, jury, and executioners,” Land said. “The rule of law is being assaulted by racial demagogues, and it’s disgusting, and it should stop.”

Land also stated a black man is “statistically more likely to do you harm than a white man.”

MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Some of them are. Just like SOME Muslims are. There are even extreme Amish people, remember the ones who just went to jail for cutting others' hair? I don't see the issue with listing something some may not realize that they need to be aware of. WBC would be an example of a group that considers themselves Christian, but they are absolutely terrorists.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I wouldn't consider Catholics all extremist, but there's definitely alot of extremist members
parentalrights1
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Hahaha I've never seen an extremist Amish but the image was funny.

Quoting MamaJess9:

Some of them are. Just like SOME Muslims are. There are even extreme Amish people, remember the ones who just went to jail for cutting others' hair? I don't see the issue with listing something some may not realize that they need to be aware of. WBC would be an example of a group that considers themselves Christian, but they are absolutely terrorists.

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM
A pack of amish were recently convicted of hate crimes against fellow amish people and were sentenced to prison.

Quoting parentalrights1:

Quoting MamaJess9:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM
It was a huge news story. Google it. They broke into some other Amish people's homes and cut their hair and beards because they didn't think they were living according to the Amish way like they through they should. I guess the long hair and beards is symbolic so it was a huge insult to cut them. If I remember correctly they either threatened or did charge them with a hate crime even.

Quoting parentalrights1:

Quoting MamaJess9:

lga1965
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I say they aren't attacking all Christians. They are pointing out that there ARE Extremists who are Christians ......I don't know about Catholics but I DO know there are way too many conservative ,fundamentalist Christians who  are members of groups that discriminate and threaten ......gotta be honest about this.

This guy at Fox ( your source) is a little extreme himself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN