Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thoughts?

http://www.ibtimes.com/barbie-chihuahua-new-mexican-dolls-world-barbie-carries-passport-sparks-outrage-1186077

Barbie Chihuahua: New Mexican ‘Dolls Of The World’ Barbie Carries Passport, Sparks Outrage

mexican-barbie-chihuahua

A new Mexican Barbie in Mattel’s “Dolls of the World” series has sparked outrage for what opponents argue is an offensive depiction of Mexican culture.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM

And an animal too.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Every generation of women needs a new reason to hate Barbie.

When I was growing up, it was the fact that the black barbie doll's features looked nothing like the features of actual black women.  Then, at some point, it became Barbie's ridiculous proportions.  Also, I remember there was once a Barbie doll that said "I hate math." It was recalled after some amount of outrage.

Barbie can never get it right, can she?

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I want one...

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
They all have passports. I'm not seeing the big deal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Linda on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this

The problem with the idea of having 'contemporary images' of the countries today is that 100% of the 'countries of the world Barbies' will look like this:

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM
3 moms liked this
Lol. Spring break Barbie.

Quoting LindaClement:

The problem with the idea of having 'contemporary images' of the countries today is that 100% of the 'countries of the world Barbies' will look like this:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

The waist of those shorts is way too high for today's standards, and where is the obligatory continental divide? 

Quoting jessilin0113:

Lol. Spring break Barbie.

Quoting LindaClement:

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I'm confused why its a problem that she carries a passport. How is that an offensive depiction of Mexican culture, bit not any other culture? ALL of the world dolls have them. Methinks someone wants some favoritism.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Probably because of laws places like Arizona tried to pass (or did pass) that were basically targeted at Mexicans, needing papers and so forth.

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm confused why its a problem that she carries a passport. How is that an offensive depiction of Mexican culture, bit not any other culture? ALL of the world dolls have them. Methinks someone wants some favoritism.

Billiejeens
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

False:

She said "math is hard"

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Every generation of women needs a new reason to hate Barbie.

When I was growing up, it was the fact that the black barbie doll's features looked nothing like the features of actual black women.  Then, at some point, it became Barbie's ridiculous proportions.  Also, I remember there was once a Barbie doll that said "I hate math." It was recalled after some amount of outrage.

Barbie can never get it right, can she?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured