Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

WWYD...falsely accused of being a sex offender

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM
  • 69 Replies

How would you handle this situation.  

Some people I know applied for an apartment and had to go through a background check.  The next day the landlord called the woman and told her they didn't get the place because her boyfriend was a registered sex offender.  THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE.  The boyfriend has never had any sort of claim ever made against him, and has never even been arrested and absolutely is not a registered sex offender.    

The girlfriend of course flipped out thinking that it was something he was hiding.  If this situation were to happen to you, what would you do?  If you are too smart to ever get in that situation, what advice would you offer to the person who did?    

ETA:  The boyfriend is not on the sex offender registry, the company claimed he was from the East Coast, which is also not accurate.  

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellydancinmama
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

You don't get put on the SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY by accident...just sayin.  

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM

he isn't on the sex offender registery.  The company made a false connection.   Thanks for the bump.  

Quoting bellydancinmama:

You don't get put on the SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY by accident...just sayin.  

bellydancinmama
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM

How do you know for a fact he has never been charged or arrested or convicted?  People go to great lengths to keep those skeletons in the closet.  I'm guessing he is rightly so on the SOR.

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I've known him for over 30+ years.  You can try to change the facts of the situation but I know beyond all shadow of doubt that he is not a registered sex offender from the East Coast.  

You can guess all you want, but you would be incorrect. 

Thanks for the bump...again.  

Quoting bellydancinmama:

How do you know for a fact he has never been charged or arrested or convicted?  People go to great lengths to keep those skeletons in the closet.  I'm guessing he is rightly so on the SOR.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would look for another apartment and also do my best to follow up with the accusation and clear my name.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you realize that multiple people who are in now way connected can have the same or similar names and information can get linked to the wrong individual.  It is not unusual to have something like this happen to an individual.  Sometimes it is as simple as a collection account wrongly charged to you other times it is much more devastating.

Quoting bellydancinmama:

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I'm not sure how to fix that big of an issue.  

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I've told them to get the name of the company used and start there.  But holy crap, that's a big mistake.  

Quoting Peanutx3:

I'm not sure how to fix that big of an issue.  

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I would first check public records to make sure he wasn't a sex offender. I would then call the company and let them know of their mistake.

Did they use the guys name only? Or SS#? If it is showing up under his SS#, he needs to look into the ASAP!!

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM
This is so true! DH and his dad had the same name and when we applied for life insurance, all of his dad's ailments came up as his. It was a pain but we were able to clear it up. I would contact the company they used and clear it up so it doesn't happen again.

Quoting Peanutx3:

Do you realize that multiple people who are in now way connected can have the same or similar names and information can get linked to the wrong individual.  It is not unusual to have something like this happen to an individual.  Sometimes it is as simple as a collection account wrongly charged to you other times it is much more devastating.

Quoting bellydancinmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)