Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

And From the land of WTF! Convicted Killer Sues Victim's Wife

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

Just wrong.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Convicted-killer-suing-the-wife-of-the-man-he-killed-17-years-ago-202419591.html

Convicted killer suing the wife of the man he killed 17 years ago

By Elisa JaffePublished: Apr 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM PDTLast Updated: Apr 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM PDT

SEATTLE -- Even from behind prison bars, a convicted killer is haunting the wife of the man he shot 17 years ago.

The murder occurred in Tacoma in 1995, but the killer is now suing his victim's frightened widow.

Paula Henry says she's moved several times because she's so afraid of her husband's killer. She doesn't even live in this state anymore but he tracked her down.

Now, 17 years after her husband's murder, Henry says a knock on door brought everything back when Bob Kenry's killer served a lawsuit from prison.

"I was shocked, it took me days to stop shaking," Henry said.

In 1995, as Bob Henry left work in Tacoma, a masked man shot him in the face. Three years later, the murder weapon was found.

Paula Henry suspected her co-worker at Tacoma Public Utilities -- her husband's former business partner Larry Shandola. It took another few years to connect Shandola to the shotgun.

When he asked to move to a prison in Canada where he was born, the Department of Corrections contacted Paula Henry.

"I couldn't keep track of him if he's in Canada, so I didn't want him to go to Canada," she said.

Paula, her friends and her victim's advocate wrote letters to the DOC, and now the convicted killer is suing them for defamation of character.

"He chose my two best friends from college," Paula Henry said. "It's not an accident who got sued here. It's a simple case of using the courts as harassment."

She and her attorney are fighting to dismiss the lawsuit.

"You're entitled to speak to the government without being sued for your comments," said former prosecutor John Ladenbug.

Ladenburg is recruiting prosecutors and lawmakers to change the law.

"A convicted murderer should not be able to sue the surviving spouse of the victim," said Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist. "That highlights an absolute absurdity in the law -- we need to fix this."

Ladenburg wants state law to require inmates convicted of violent crimes to get permission from a presiding judge before filing a suit, and let the judge determine if it's valid or frivolous and costing the victim's relatives and taxpayers money.

Paula Henry is also seeking a permanent restraining order against the killer.

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Ridiculously wrong.  Change the law.

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM
He's suing because she doesn't think he should got to canada for a crime he committed in the states? What an ass. I agree that a convicted crimminal should get permission to sue a victim of his/her crime.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Say what???? Unbelievable!

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Cases like this reinforce the need for tort reform.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I heard about this on our morning news.  I just don't even understand how this is not illegal in our state.  How do you defame a murderer?  

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Why didn't the judge throw this out? Just because it isn't specifically against the law to sue the people keeping you in prison doesn't mean that the case already had any merit. A judge could have easily thrown this out saying justice couldn't be served by this but civil suits must have very low requirements to meet minimum merit. Either the judge is trying to make a point/be famous or they must have said some very nasty things about him that can't be proven.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DixieL
by Dixie on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM

In my opinion, a convicted killer has no rights at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)