Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

We Might See The Aurora Borealis Tonight In The Mid Atlantic? Really?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 11 Replies

Would be cool if we do! Planning on viewing if possible although the article says there's a possible seven hour deviation lol. Oh well if we do it will be cool. If you're in this area, go out and look at 8pm! 

Forecast Discussion for April 13, 2013

April 13, 2013 » 10:00 am EDT

Josh Owens, Severe Weather/Short Term Forecaster

Let the weekend begin, hello and good Saturday everyone! Today is our first day of feeling true spring temps with temps ranging from the mid 60s to low 70s in the metros. Clear skies will prevail with a few scattered clouds sprinkled on top, a slight breeze will help keep the air fresh as well. Overall the pattern for weather is rather dull and boring until Monday rolls around and we see our first legitimate chance of rain.

Have you ever seen the Aurora Borealis? You MIGHT get a chance to see them tonight according to AccuWeather. Normally dont use AccuWeather products in our discussions, but this warranted a mention. A powerful solar flare came off the sun early Thursday morning and is now on its way to earth. Luckily the earth has a magnetic field surrounding it that shields up from this “Coronal Mass Ejection (CME)” that comes from the sun, in return it dazzles us with a light show that it simply captivating. We may get a chance to see this tonight in our area for a breif time. “The lights are currently estimated for 8 p.m. EDT Saturday arrival, with a possible deviation of up to seven hours. If the radiation hits much after dark settles on the East Coast the lights may be missed and will instead only be visible for the West” mentions Samantha-Rae Tuthill of AccuWeather in a article written earlier this morning.

If you get a chance to see the northern lights, be sure to try and snap a few photos for us! The best veiwing area will be when most if not ALL lights are off in your area so you can see the sky clearly. Barring any cloud cover and given this comes in strong enough, we MIGHT be able to see a awesome show tonight. Have a great day all!

by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Cool!

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Definitely recommend trying to see them, they're amazing! I can't imagine never having seen them dance in the sky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM
I haven't seen them! I'm in a fair viewing areas so maybe i will get to see then once it gets dark out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Apr. 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I saw it in Ohio several years back...was incredible!

x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I wish im in the dirty south.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM

How cool is that?  

My bucket list contains the Aurora Borealis and the Australis Borealis.  The latter maybe wishful thinking as it is hard and not as easy to view as its counterpart.  

Still Ive been saving madly to go to the Antartic...so I will have to cross every finger and toe that it happens.

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Im in the good area. So far nothing. Its a tad cloudy. I hope it comes. My hubby is fascinated by the northern lights. Its his dream to see them. I hope he gets his chance. :-)
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM
It says for my area we need a kp of 7 and its a 2 right now. Guess we wont be seeing it.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM

If you get a chance to see it, go do it. It's amazing. We visit family in Western Canada just about every summer, and we always get to see it. It's like nothing you've ever seen before. 

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:18 PM
I have to admit I have taken it for granted, but now I miss it! Nothing more peaceful then night time, snow, no wind and northern lights!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)