Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She's Living a Bedbug Nightmare!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

How do people handle this? My DD lives in an apt. building in Brooklyn. The whole building is infested, or soon will be. She's had her apt. exterminated, bagged up everything in it, including her clothes, shoes, towels, the pictures on the wall - everything. 

She has the classic bites: Three in a row. A tell-tale sign to any New Yorker that you have bedbugs. 

Everytime she and her roommate go in or out it's like a HAZMAT operation. All their clothes are in trashbags in the kitchen on the tile floor. They take off their clothes when they come in and bag them. Then they take laundered clothes out of a "clean" bag and put them on. They reverse the drill when they leave.  

She can't wear her coats, which need to be drycleaned. And if she wears them again she can't bring them into the apt. until the infestation is gone. She has to wash all her clothes on hot and dry them on hot. Which will ruin or shrink everything. 

She's worried that all the apt's haven't been exterminated and the bugs will come back.

The super saw residents talking to one another in the hall and told them they had to disband. He asked to see DDs apt., and when he got her in there, yelled at her for telling the other tenants. She told him she had a right to say whatever she wanted. 

He must not realize NYC passed a law in 2010 requiring landlords to provide a bedbug history to prospective tenants. A new tenant in DDs building was in tears. No one told her.

The landlord came out and did an inspection. He talked to DD and she told him she exptects to be reimbursed for the exterminator's fees. They don't have to do it, according to law. But they do have to deal with it after it's been reported.

People in NYC need to call 311to report an infestation to the city authority that deals with it. It's the law that landlords provide a vermin-free place to live. And they have about 30 days to exterminate.

This landlord faces fines. In addition to not notifiying new tenants - including when my daughter moved in two years ago - his super harrassed her for telling the others. Also against the law. 

I hope she survives. She called this morning and is running on empty. She bought mattress and box spring covers that have to stay on for at least a year. 

I only hope all their efforts aren't for naught.

by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM

She should move.

MentorMom1
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Well, yes, ideally. But it's easier said than done. 

Quoting futureshock:

She should move.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Has she caught the bugs and knows for sure that's what they are? Fleas bite in 3's.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM
She has to move. I work with families who have bec bugs... she has to move.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Really...she can burn the house down or move. It virtually impossible to get rid of them

Quoting MentorMom1:

Well, yes, ideally. But it's easier said than done. 

Quoting futureshock:

She should move.

Yurixsi
by Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Diametrious earth. You can get it at lowes it worked for me put it in all corners
Shoota
by Lauren on Apr. 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM

That is awful! Nobody should have to live with that. i hope the landlord is held responsible!

MentorMom1
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Thanks. Yes, she's done her homework. They all know it's bed bugs.

Quoting EireLass:

Has she caught the bugs and knows for sure that's what they are? Fleas bite in 3's.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I own a tiny house in the mountains we used to rent as a vacation home, and we had a complaint of bedbugs once.  Cost well over 1k to fumigate and have all the linens and furniture professionally treated.  We still don't know if we ever actually had them, but we yanked the house off the rental list the next week.

I can't imagine living in an apartment building with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured