Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Columbia University Hires Convicted Cop Killer as Adjunct Professor - Good Idea or Bad Idea? Why?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM
JRM
  • 81 Replies
Hometown Outrage at Boudin Hiring
Posted April 11th, 2013

Orangetown condemns Columbia for hiring terrorist; resolutions seek Boudin firing, parole denial for Bohovesky killers
BY ROBERT KNIGHT
CITY EDITOR
ROCKLAND COUNTY TIMES
http://www.rocklandtimes.com/2013/04/11/hometown-rage/

Shocked at last week’s Rockland County Times revelation that Columbia University has hired convicted, jailed and released Weather Underground terrorist Kathy Boudin as an adjunct professor, a furious Orangetown Town Board Tuesday unanimously approved a resolution of condemnation, and has demanded the university terminate Boudin immediately and send letters of apology to the families of the three officers killed during the infamous 1981 Brinks armored truck robbery in Nanuet and Nyack.

In a similar resolution the Town Board also continued it years-long effort to keep the killers of Pearl River teenager Paula Bohovesky in prison for the remainder of their lives, despite upcoming parole hearings for convicted murderers Richard LaBarbera and Robert McCain.

The strongly worded two-page resolution on Boudin was drafted by Councilman Thomas Diviny (R-Blauvelt), an attorney and a member of the four-man GOP majority that currently controls the Town Board. The resolution was not only supported by fellow Republican Councilmen Thomas Morr and Paul Valentine (Councilman Denis Troy was absent), but it received equally strong support from Supervisor Andrew Stewart, a Nyack resident and the council’s only Democrat.

The resolution asserts that the full board “hereby condemns Columbia University for its irresponsible and insensitive decision to employ Kathy Boudin as an adjunct professor (and) requests that Columbia sever all ties with Kathy Boudin and offer a written apology to the victim’s families and the Orangetown community.”

It goes on to authorize certified copies of the resolution be sent to the families of the three deceased officers killed in the terrorist attack and to other persons in order to “properly effectuate the purpose of this resolution.”

The old Kathy and the “new” Kathy. Which one is the real Kathy?
The attack

Diviny said he was “absolutely stunned” when he learned a few days ago that Columbia had hired Boudin to teach a social services class at the famed New York City university, on the topic of how to re-integrate released prisoners into society. Besides being on the adjunct (non-tenured) faculty at Columbia, she is also reportedly on the staff at New York University, but her duties there have not been revealed so far.

Diviny said Columbia in particular showed “incredible insensitivity” to the Orangetown community by hiring Boudin, especially in view of the fact that one of its largest colleges, the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, is located tax-free in the township, in the hamlet of Palisades, where it has been based for more than half a century.

His resolution notes that Boudin was an active member of the notorious radical group the Weather Underground in the 1970s and 80s, at the time the terrorist group bombed both the Pentagon and the United States Capitol in Washington.

“In 1981,” the resolution continues, “Boudin, together with other members of the Weather Underground robbed a Brinks armored car at the Nanuet Mall.” Brinks guard Peter Paige was shot and killed in the heist, and Boudin drove the get-away car in which the gang temporarily escaped the scene, only to be stopped at a roadblock on Route 59 in Nyack, as they attempted to get on the southbound entrance of the New York State Thruway and get back to their base in Manhattan.

In a furious exchange of gunfire with Nyack Police at the roadblock Nyack Sergeant Edward O’Grady and Officer Waverly “Chip” Brown were shot and killed.

Deceased Nyack Officer Waverly Brown and Sgt. Edward O’Grady, killed during the infamous Brink’s robbery in 1981. Locals say Rockland was never the same
Aftermath

The terrorists were captured by dozens of village and area police who responded to the scene, and gradually each was tried and convicted of both armed robbery and murder over the next several months.

Boudin entered a guilty plea to the charges, including one count of murder, and was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison.

In a budget cutting move about two decades ago the Village of Nyack disbanded its own police department, on which Brown and O’Grady had served, and it was merged into the larger Orangetown force. A bronze plaque honoring the three slain officers is permanently mounted at the Police Department entrance at Town Hall in Orangeburg, and a memorial service to the men is held on the anniversary every year at the scene of the shooting in Central Nyack, where a candle-lit monument and flagpole is now located.

Despite pleas from the Nyack, Orangetown, Rockland County and law enforcement communities at the time, Boudin was released from prison in 2003, after 22 years in jail. She was subsequently hired by Columbia as an adjunct professor in their School of Social Work, where she apparently continues to serve, as well as at NYU.

Resolution

After briefly describing the history of the event, Diviny’s resolution goes on to describe the town’s revulsion at the Columbia action.

“Whereas Columbia University has a large presence in the Town of Orangetown through its’ operation of the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, and

“Whereas Columbia University avails itself to the Orangetown Police Department, who took over police operations for the Nyack Police Department, for policing and safety issues, and

“Whereas, as a member of the Orangetown community, Columbia University should strive to be a good neighbor and be respectful to community sensitivities, such as the impact the Brinks robbery and Kathy Boudin had on the victims’ families and the Orangetown community as a whole, and

“Whereas the members of the (Orangetown) Town Board believe that they have a responsibility to honor the memories and heroic actions of (the three slain officers), as well as a responsibility to their families,”

The board continued with a unanimously approved resolution containing two “Resolved” clauses, the first condemning Columbia for the hiring, demanding her termination and demanding letters of apology; and the second authorizing the wide dissemination of the resolution to various interested parties.

As each councilman offered separate words of revulsion, Stewart summed up their unanimous viewpoint by noting that neither the board nor Orangetown residents “are ready to forgive yet.”

In addition to her crimes against the people of Rockland, as a member of the Weather Underground, Boudin displayed loyalties to the Soviet Union and reportedly received some financial assistance from America’s then-mortal enemy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I don't care for her at all, hopefully the college will receive enough pressure to fire her.

Her hiring is more of a hindrance than anything else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM
8 moms liked this

She admited her guilt and served her time. I find it to be a bold move on their part. I get that people are outraged. IMO the woman deserves a chance to provide for herself and live her life to the fullest until her passing. If she was sentenced to death for her crimes this wouldn't be an issue, but she wasn't.

I sure hope that dumb citizens don't band together to take their anger and outrage into their own hands and do something foolish. Sometimes stupid people just need a cause to act on their stupidity.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I can certainly see why many would take issue with this.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Would you take issue with it?

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I think it was not a well thought out decision to hire her.  As I read about what exactly she did I'm pretty freaking disgusted by her.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Would you take issue with it?

I might.  It's hard to say, considering I am not in that position.

I can certainly see her hiring being an absolute hindrance rather than bringing about any thing positive.

Why she would even want to take a position, under such circumstances, baffles me really.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Quoting katy_kay08:

I think it was not a well thought out decision to hire her.  As I read about what exactly she did I'm pretty freaking disgusted by her.  

I know that I am, too.

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM
3 moms liked this

She is an "expert" in her field, she served her time, whats the big deal? I think it would be an interesting class and the students would love to ask her questions. If she is qualified and the students are safe then I really don't see the big deal. It's been over 30 years, people can change.

tscritch
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm with VVV  on this. I can completely understand that they are upset. HOWEVER, isn't the point that she served her time for the crime. Should she only be allowed to work at McD's for the rest of her life? Also, "Columbia had hired Boudin to teach a social services class at the famed New York City university, on the topic of how to re-integrate released prisoners into society" seems to me like she would be quite knowledgeable with first hand experience on this topic.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM
6 moms liked this

I agree with this. I could see the outrage if this woman had never served any time for her crime and just landed a nice, cushy university job. But she admitted her guilt and she served time.

This is part of the reason we have repeat offenders in this country. Once someone serves their time, they should be given the opportunity to work and support themselves and be treated like human beings. When people are continually viewed as nothing more than convicts or felons, they will eventually resort to their old ways. 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

She admited her guilt and served her time. I find it to be a bold move on their part. I get that people are outraged. IMO the woman deserves a chance to provide for herself and live her life to the fullest until her passing. If she was sentenced to death for her crimes this wouldn't be an issue, but she wasn't.

I sure hope that dumb citizens don't band together to take their anger and outrage into their own hands and do something foolish. Sometimes stupid people just need a cause to act on their stupidity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured