Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Wearing Saggy Pants Now Illegal In Lousiana Parish

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 90 Replies

Wearing Saggy Pants Now Illegal In Lousiana Parish

article image
By Paul Eide, Sun, April 14, 2013

Residents of Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, will no longer be allowed to wear saggy pants in public.

Sagging is defined as, "Appearing in public view while exposing one's skin or undergarments below the waist is contrary to safety, health, peace and good order of the parish and the general welfare," the ordinance says.

An important distinction is that violating this law does not give police the authority to arrest violators or do a "full search," the ordinance says.

"There is nothing positive about people wearing saggy pants," said Jerome Boykin, president of the Terrebonne NAACP. "This is not a black issue, this is not a white issue, this is a people issue."

Wearing saggy pants comes from a prison mentality, Boykin said.

"Young men who were in prison who wanted to have sex with other men would send a signal to another man with his pants below his waist," he said.

The ordinance was passed on a vote of 8 to 1. The one member who voted against it was Chairwoman Beryl Amedee who argued that it violates free expression.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana sent a letter to the council explaining that the ordinance is unconstitutional and urging them not to pass it. But other council members referred to an ordinance that passed six years ago in Shreveport that the new sagging ordinance mimics.

Sources: WWLTV.com, Bangalore Mirror

by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bad_mama2011
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM
4 moms liked this

Doesn't anyone realize that style started in prisons and it means you want to have butt sex with another man? The lower your pants, the gayer you are.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Doesn't anyone realize that style started in prisons and it means you want to have butt sex with another man? The lower your pants, the gayer you are.

lol. I never knew that and I bet most of the people sporting that look don't either!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM
8 moms liked this

While I think wearing pants in such a way is completely asinine......I am not too sure I agree with passing ordinance against it.

If some one chooses to look like a fool they should be allowed to do so.  If that person isn't wearing underwear and is exposing themselves, that may be something to look in to.

What's next.............passing one stating that a female can't wear a neck line too low because she looks like a hoochie?  Oh wait........the men won't do that.  

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this

There is nothing attractive about seeing someone's underwear.  It's called underwear for a reason.

Cover it up.  Nothing looks more ridiculous than a young man who can't walk correctly because he has to shuffle to keep his pants off the ground.

It is stupid to need a law though.  People have no sense anymore. 

karenbeth214
by New Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Good! I seriously hope they pass that law all over, and soon over here in St. Martin Parish. I'm so tired of riding through St. Martinville and seeing people's boxers and butts. Not something I really enjoy.. It's gross and trashy.

CafeMom Tickers
lga1965
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Saggy pants are really icky. That picture makes me sick.

But....illegal? LOL.

Hopefully the guys who want to show us their underwear will grow up and recognize that they are making themselves look like a$$es.

lga1965
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Somebody better tell those guys!   If they all knew that, it would be a more effective deterrent than havng a law against it!

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I don't agree with laws that legislate what people can and cannot wear. It's stupid. Let them look like idiots. Whatever. The government should have no say in this. 

GeekMommi
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I vaguely remember hearing that in the 90s. lol So its true! Thats Snopes site says Not True. But who knows...

http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp

Quoting bad_mama2011:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I don't know. Is it illegal to walk around outside in your underwear?

If it is then I support the ban. Equal is equal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)