Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New Pope Continues fight against American Nuns

Posted by   + Show Post

Pope Francis reiterates 'radical feminist' criticism of US nuns' group

Max Rossi / Reuters

Pope Francis, shown Sunday, reaffirmed the church's official criticism of the group representing most U.S. nuns as having 'radical feminist' doctrine.

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis has reaffirmed the Vatican's criticism of a body that represents U.S. nuns that the Church said was tainted by "radical" feminism, dashing hopes that he might take a softer stand with the sisters.

Francis's predecessor, Benedict, decreed that the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR), a group that represents more than 80 percent of the 57,000 Catholic nuns in the United States, must change its ways, a ruling that the Vatican said on Monday still applied.

Last year, a Vatican report said the LCWR had "serious doctrinal problems" and promoted "radical feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith," criticizing it for taking a soft line on issues such as birth control and homosexuality.

The nuns received wide support among American Catholics, particularly on the liberal wing of the church, as LCWR leaders travelled around the United States in a bus to defend themselves against the accusations.

On Monday the group's leaders met Archbishop Gerhard Ludwig Mueller, the new head of the Vatican's doctrinal department, and Archbishop Peter Sartain of Seattle, who has been assigned by the Vatican to correct the group's perceived failings.

"Archbishop Mueller informed the (LCWR) presidency that he had recently discussed the doctrinal assessment with Pope Francis, who reaffirmed the findings of the assessment and the program of reform, " the Vatican's statement said.

The Vatican reminded the group that it would "remain under the direction of the Holy See," the statement said.

It was the nuns' first meeting with Mueller, who succeeded American Cardinal William Levada as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Levada, who retired last year, oversaw the Vatican's investigation of the U.S. nuns.

A statement from the LCWR said the "conversation was open and frank" and added: "We pray that these conversations may bear fruit for the good of the Church."

In April 2012, the doctrinal department criticized the LCWR for challenging bishops and for being "silent on the right to life," saying it had failed to make the "Biblical view of family life and human sexuality" a central plank of its agenda.

The nuns supported President Barack Obama's health-care reform, part of which makes insurance coverage of birth control mandatory, while U.S. bishops opposed it.

Many nuns said the Vatican's report misunderstood their intentions and undervalued their work for social justice.

Supporters of the nuns said the women had helped the image of the church in the United States at a time when it was engulfed in scandal over sexual abuse of minors by priests. They were praised by many fellow Catholics and the media for their work with the poor and sick.

Monday's Vatican statement expressed gratitude for the "great contribution" American Catholic nuns had made in teaching and caring for the sick and poor.

Neon Washable Paint

by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Replies (351-358):
loverbug75
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM
What are you talking about????
The Catholic Church has changed their views about a million things! Take purgatory for one! The Catholic Church charged people to get their loved ones out of purgatory. The charged the poor and the starving who they themselves had brain washed into to believing such CRAP!

Quoting candlegal:

It sounds to me that you haven't believed the Catholic Church in a long while so don't put this off on anyone from this board.   If you are calling the Churchs' beliefs hate, you have no idea what the Catholic Church is all about anyway.  The Church has not changed on any of this in 2000 years.

Maybe this is the first time you have ever heard the truth about the Church.

What has changed is the world is getting more depraved and you apparently don't have a problem with that.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I have been Catholic for 43 years and have one foot out the door. It is because if people like you and others in this board that have helped me start to leave. I have a dd still in Caholic school and that is the only thing keeping me there at the moment. I understand the catholic church and I can no longer reconcile what I consider hate with what I believe in religion. For years and years, I justified my belonging by decidin it was okay to just privately believe what I believe. I love the community aspect of my parish. I love the priest at my church. Everyone in my community goes to this parish. It is not a preachy parish. So, as long as my kids are involved, I will not rip them out of this community of people they grew up with. However, I no longer can personally reconcile what I believe with what the Church as been doing. My oldest dd feels the same. My youngest ones still goes to the parish school and loves it. I will not take that away from her. I get angry everyday that this church has ruine religion for me for a lot of reasons I won't go into on here

Quoting VeronicaTex:

For all you haters, and there are quite a few on this post, you would need to understand, first of all, the Catholic Church.

Very few of you do:  it is evident by your callous remarks.

To understand the Papacy, you need to understand that Jesus chose men to be his apostles: Peter being the first Pope, to now Pope Francis: Men.

I now want to focus on women:  specifically nuns:  they take vows to be brides of Jesus, so to speak.

That means, they are subject to the authority of Rome.

What these particular women have done is to upset the balance, of what Jesus actually instituted.

This group is being defiant.

No one will deny that to help the poor is being useful and necessary.

However, this group is using it as an excuse to push their own agenda:  which includes birth control and homosexuality.

It is no surprise that "80% of the 57,000 nuns in the United States support this movement.

It is a sign of the times....a decline in morals and the rise of liberalism that has swept this nation, supported by the Liberal Democratic administrations of this country.

You truly would have to be a Roman Catholic, understanding how the Catholic Church on earth was begun by Jesus Christ to understand the severity of this situation.

I agree totally with the Pope.

Pope Francis is obviously a Pope whom was elected by men who prayed for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in this papal election.

They did NOT select this particular Pope on the basis of what the people of the world might be clamoring for, but on the basis of what God wants for a leader in the Catholic Church.

Veronica 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DestinyRoseLC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Jesus was not Jewish?

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Where do you get your information full of lies?

On second thought, I already know where it comes from and who motivates you.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting pixie92:

wait umm Jesus never started a church. Not once did he start a church or try to start a new religion his whole purpose was to fix his religon and church which was the Jewish temples and the belief. He was a jew not a christian or a catholic man, nor did he try to be. When he died he wanted his word to be taught for these same purposes not for what it was turned into. Then again he wanted Marys story told also but instead we just blow off two very important facts, one Mary was trusted and thought of as more loved by christ and that they were married because he held standing in the temples which only real men could do (back then real men meant married men). So much truth lost by the church and so much changed by it and yet so many claiming its all true and correct.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I feel grief for many of you women who are so critical about the way some of us post on here.

We tell the truth about the Roman Catholic Church.

We are obligated to by followers of God.

We also do it for great love for Him.

That is our mission here:  to be true to the Church that was started with Jesus here on earth, with Peter as its first Pope.

It is lamentable that your spirits are so rebellious that you hearts have turned to stone.

Veronica

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes.

But I love you in a gay way.

Call the pope!!!

Quoting Billiejeens:

Because one shouldn't be a member of a group while actively working to undermine that group.

If I was a friend of yours who worked to undermine you, would you remain my freind?

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Why? Because you cannot be religious and still
accept Homosexuality?

Quoting Billiejeens:

I think that you probably should look into that social club that NWP spoke of.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Despite my oldest growing up in Catholic school, I am glad I was able to instill in her right from wrong. She organized a gay pride day at her school yesterday because her best friend.. A gay male was being bullied by a couple of kids and she wanted to show him support.

Quoting NWP:

If you mean by raising a self-reliant, independant female that can think for herself without having to have a man to tell her what to think or do, then you are correct.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Wow, your father really did a number on you didn't he.

Quoting NWP:

Girls who don't do what they are told by the man in charge are radical feminists who need punishing.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

All hail the men while we continue to push women down. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Holy shit.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I need to correct you, from AtoZ.

In the Catholic faith, taking the Blessed Body and Blood of Christ is not symbolism.  It is real.

It is most beautiful to me knowing that a priest, having consecrated hands, being given that honor when Jesus Christ was at the Last Supper and instituted the Priesthood, blesses unconsecrated hosts and wine to become the Sacred Body and Blood of Christ.  

It is Jesus Incarnate.

Veronica

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting pansyprincess:

I always thought that was some crazy shit.  Who would want to drink blood and eat body?  I guess Catholics are a bunch of cannibal vampires.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Hi, Linda.

The Catholic/Christian part is easy:  We Catholics and Chrisitians both believe Jesus Christ came to earth as a human, taught on the earth, died and rose from the dead.

If you have ever seen a Catholic Mass, and seen the second part of the Mass, (the first part being the Liturgy of the Word), the Liturgy of the Eucharist celebrates that sacrifice, changing the bread and wine into the real body and blood of Christ.

That is what transubstantiation is.

Veronica

Quoting LindaClement:

What does that mean? I've never heard of it...

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I want to share with you I am Catholic/Christian.

More precisely, I am Catholic Charismatic.

Veronica

It is the symbolism that is important.  Thinking it is actual is inaccurate.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Bwahahahaha.

Amy-scared of the crazy.

Quoting shannonnigans:

One would, therefore, expect to find human DNA or some other indice of a human body, but that would entail placing science above mythology, and we can't have that.

Shannon - Total Charisma

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I need to correct you, from AtoZ.

In the Catholic faith, taking the Blessed Body and Blood of Christ is not symbolism.  It is real.

It is most beautiful to me knowing that a priest, having consecrated hands, being given that honor when Jesus Christ was at the Last Supper and instituted the Priesthood, blesses unconsecrated hosts and wine to become the Sacred Body and Blood of Christ.  

It is Jesus Incarnate.

Veronica

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting pansyprincess:

I always thought that was some crazy shit.  Who would want to drink blood and eat body?  I guess Catholics are a bunch of cannibal vampires.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Hi, Linda.

The Catholic/Christian part is easy:  We Catholics and Chrisitians both believe Jesus Christ came to earth as a human, taught on the earth, died and rose from the dead.

If you have ever seen a Catholic Mass, and seen the second part of the Mass, (the first part being the Liturgy of the Word), the Liturgy of the Eucharist celebrates that sacrifice, changing the bread and wine into the real body and blood of Christ.

That is what transubstantiation is.

Veronica

Quoting LindaClement:

What does that mean? I've never heard of it...

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I want to share with you I am Catholic/Christian.

More precisely, I am Catholic Charismatic.

Veronica

It is the symbolism that is important.  Thinking it is actual is inaccurate.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Is that why all those child molesters in the church are not in jail just waiting for their next victim? God is protecting them? Seems legit.

Amy-notbuyingyourbullshit

Quoting VeronicaTex:

This is the secular world doing this.

Sadly, this was going to happen, knowing the forces of evil and the power of an untruth.

God will protect the people that respect and love Him.

Veronica

Quoting 12hellokitty:

By (@matthewbjaffe)

VATICAN CITY March 15, 2013

A Vatican spokesman hit back today at accusations that newly elected Pope Francis is in any way to blame for the kidnappings of two Jesuit priests during Argentina's military dictatorship decades ago.

Since his election Wednesday to become the new leader of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Francis has been hailed as a compassionate new pontiff, but the spotlight of the papacy has now renewed questions about his role in the 1976 kidnappings of Orlando Yorio and Francisco Jalics during Argentina's "Dirty War."

The two priests spent much of their time working with the poor in a Buenos Aires slum, but they were kidnapped in a raid by security forces. In the ensuing months, the two men were reportedly tortured, kept in shackles and even threatened with electrocution. While they were eventually freed after five months, Yorio later said that he faulted Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio for the incident. Bergoglio took the name Francis after his papal election.

Pope Francis Through the Years

Bergoglio, according to critics, was accused not only of staying silent about the government's brutality, but of being partly to blame for the kidnappings by withdrawing church protection for them. Before Yorio died, he told Argentine journalist Horacio Verbitsky, "I don't have any reason to think that [Bergoglio] did anything for our freedom."

Such accusations, Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi said today, are simply not true.

"There has never been a credible accusation against him," Lombardi stated at the daily Vatican briefing.

In fact, Lombardi continued, Bergoglio tried to protect many people from the military junta and the criticism of his actions during that time stem from "anti-clerical" and "left-wing" elements.

Jalics issued a statement today saying that he has reconciled with his former cardinal.

"It was only years later that we had the opportunity to talk with Father Bergoglio ... to discuss the events," Jalics said in a statement. "Following that, we celebrated Mass publicly together and hugged solemnly. I am reconciled to the events and consider the matter to be closed."

In 2010, Bergoglio testified about his role during that period. In his testimony, later posted on an Argentine human rights website, Bergoglio said that when he learned of the kidnappings he "acted immediately," contacting the police and the armed forces in an effort to help the two priests. It was, he said, "a moment of desperation."

Pope Francis was never suspected of ‘Dirty War’ human rights violations – President of Argentine Supreme Court of Justice

Ricardi Lorenzetti, the President of the Argentine Supreme Court has categorically stated that Pope Francis was never suspected of involvement in the dictatorship’s ‘Dirty War’ human rights violations and that there has never been a concrete legal accusation.

Vatican Insider reports:

‘Today, the President of the Argentine Supreme Court of Justice, Ricardi Lorenzetti said that pope Francis “is completely innocent” and was never suspected of being involved in violations of human rights committed during the military dictatorship (1976-83).

“Although some people disagree or claim that he may have done this or that, the fact remains that there is no concrete accusation” against former cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, Lorenzetti said in a radio interview.

The President of the High Court stressed the need to respect the principle of innocence, even in Pope Francis’ case, adding that “this is a man who has never been convicted” of violations during the dictatorship.

Protect the Pope comment: The anti-Catholic media, including the BBC and The Guardian, have attempted to create a ‘Hitler Youth’ moment in the first week of Pope Francis’ election in the hope of discrediting him from the beginning of his pontificate. They attempted do the same at the beginning of Pope Benedict’s reign falsely accusing him of being a ‘Nazi’ due to his compulsory enrollment in the Hitler Youth ignoring the fact that his policeman father was a reckless and outspoken anti-Nazi. The anti-Catholic media have appointed themselves the public court that condemns Pope Francis out of hand, ignoring the basic facts outlined by the President of the Supreme Court – that there is no concrete legal accusation against Pope Francis and that he is an innocent man.

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/world-news/detail/articolo/francedco-francis-francisco-23329/

Quoting NWP:

I have several but am on mobile and still figuring out the mobile interface. I can post when I get home. Or you can just google it. It is no secret.

Quoting 12hellokitty: Source?

Quoting NWP:Do you know nothing of his involvement with the two kidnapped priests during the Dirty War? He had pulled their security under pressure from the military leadership after the priests refused to stop their missions with the poor. After their capture, he did make efforts to have them released and most likely saved their lives. But the question remains if they would have been captured in the first place had he not removed their security over political pressure. Most folks are unaware if the Dirty War so you may know little about it.
Quoting VeronicaTex:
I cannot believe the audacity and LACK OF respect coming from your brain and fingers.
"Learned his lesson" indeed.
Thank God you are only here in this group.
I shudder to think if you did this in real life.
Veronica-Respecter of Popes.

Quoting NWP:
Their mission work with the poor is important and staying focused on that mission does not give them a bad name.
And hopefully this particular Pope has learned his lesson about trying to pull his people off of their mission with the poor for political reasons. He learned that lesson the hard way during the dirty war and is apparently contrite about that terrible mistake.
Quoting VeronicaTex:
"Not putting them in the front lines of homosexuality and birth control."
This is not a good idea.
They are purposefully using the work with people to justify their feelings of homosexuality and other issues.
I do not say something like this often, but these women give all nuns and Catholics a BAD name.
All of us Catholics are called to be on the front lines!!!!....
Veronica

Quoting Lizard_Lina:Do not agree with what? I didn't stay an opinion.
Quoting VeronicaTex:
Thank you for clarifying that, Lizard_Lina.
I still do not agree.
Veronica-Roman Catholic
Quoting Lizard_Lina:"Jesuit" is a real thing. He is a jesuit. The first jesuit in the papacy in fact. And what I meant was maybe because of that background he will take them off the front lines of "fighting the evils" of homosexuality and birth control and allow them to return back to missionary work where they are truly needed. If you would pay attention, you would see the second part of the quote where I said I don't see him changing the official stance on the subjects.

loverbug75
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this
If Jesus was here I'm guessing he would say something like

" Snap! Veronica you just got served"!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

For those of you who are using this post to ridicule me and what I stand for as a Roman Catholic, I will leave you with this message:

You are SO blinded by hate you cannot see. 

You at this time have no idea just what you are saying in your ridicule of me, the Pope and the Catholic Church.

You will, someday, unfortunately, reap what you sow: unless you change your ways.

There is nothing more for me to say.

My purpose in this post is finished.

Veronica-Devout Roman Catholic

Again, assumptions and assertions.  

Your purpose?  

You will also, some day, reap what you sow; unless you change your ways.

You do not like it when people call you out on your words and your ways.  Yet you have no problem doing the very same thing and in doing so condemning people and acting as if YOU have the authority, or the power, in which to TELL people what to do and how they must do it.

You are not God, Veronica.  You are merely a woman.  You do not speak for God, Veronica.  Although you think you do.  You have made that clear.  God has not chosen you to save the world.  Although you think He has.

Any message of good you may feel you have.......has been lost in your boasting and your pridefulness.   

You are not in the perfect State of Grace with the way you condemn and the way you judge and TELL others what is right and what is not.  

Believe as you will.  We all have that right.  Live your life as you see just and right for your own beliefs and for what you believe God is wanting of you.  

DO NOT expect every one else to believe as you do, do as you do or think as you do.  No matter how deeply you feel every one should, not every one does.  YOU do not have the right to make the attempt to hinder the free will of others.  God certainly does not do that, otherwise He would not have given us that gift of free will.

Stop concerning yourself with the hellish ways others live and act and instead......clean up your own backyard prior to attempting to preach to others what is righteous and what is not.

Your delivery in any 'message' is lost because of the way in which you deliver it.  Speaking to others about God, the overall message of Jesus, can be a good thing and a wonderful thing and for some, a message delivered and heard and heeded.  But not in the manner in which you do so.  

I have not told you you are going to Hell for I do not know that you will and I would never presume to know. 

I do believe you have a heady love in your heart for the Lord.  But I also feel, from every thing you have ever posted, that you are not able to take a step back and realize your own failings, your own sins, as  you set out to deliver every one from the evils of the world.   

No one has made any attempt to pull you away from your faith.  You are strong in your faith and I don't see that every happening.  But you could certainly do better if you were not so conceited in your ways and acted yourself a little more like Jesus did.  He was humble and kind and listened to others, He did not dismiss them due to a differing of opinion of views. 

You can assume we are all going to the bowls of Hell because we have not heeded YOUR word.  YOUR message.  That will get you where, exactly?  Closer to God?  

You do the Lord a disservice with your pride.  

I would beg of you to take a step back and realize that my words are not because I find you to be a dis-likeable person.  Nor am I bullying you, as you like to say.  I am reaching out to you as some one who hopes you truly can find a way to say how you feel, what you believe, in a manner in which is not hate filled and not so prideful.  Do not judge in others what you do yourself.  That is your biggest fault.  You judge others for what you do yourself.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I am talking about the fact that sodomy is a sin and their views on homosexuality.

Quoting loverbug75:

What are you talking about????
The Catholic Church has changed their views about a million things! Take purgatory for one! The Catholic Church charged people to get their loved ones out of purgatory. The charged the poor and the starving who they themselves had brain washed into to believing such CRAP!

Quoting candlegal:

It sounds to me that you haven't believed the Catholic Church in a long while so don't put this off on anyone from this board.   If you are calling the Churchs' beliefs hate, you have no idea what the Catholic Church is all about anyway.  The Church has not changed on any of this in 2000 years.

Maybe this is the first time you have ever heard the truth about the Church.

What has changed is the world is getting more depraved and you apparently don't have a problem with that.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I have been Catholic for 43 years and have one foot out the door. It is because if people like you and others in this board that have helped me start to leave. I have a dd still in Caholic school and that is the only thing keeping me there at the moment. I understand the catholic church and I can no longer reconcile what I consider hate with what I believe in religion. For years and years, I justified my belonging by decidin it was okay to just privately believe what I believe. I love the community aspect of my parish. I love the priest at my church. Everyone in my community goes to this parish. It is not a preachy parish. So, as long as my kids are involved, I will not rip them out of this community of people they grew up with. However, I no longer can personally reconcile what I believe with what the Church as been doing. My oldest dd feels the same. My youngest ones still goes to the parish school and loves it. I will not take that away from her. I get angry everyday that this church has ruine religion for me for a lot of reasons I won't go into on here

Quoting VeronicaTex:

For all you haters, and there are quite a few on this post, you would need to understand, first of all, the Catholic Church.

Very few of you do:  it is evident by your callous remarks.

To understand the Papacy, you need to understand that Jesus chose men to be his apostles: Peter being the first Pope, to now Pope Francis: Men.

I now want to focus on women:  specifically nuns:  they take vows to be brides of Jesus, so to speak.

That means, they are subject to the authority of Rome.

What these particular women have done is to upset the balance, of what Jesus actually instituted.

This group is being defiant.

No one will deny that to help the poor is being useful and necessary.

However, this group is using it as an excuse to push their own agenda:  which includes birth control and homosexuality.

It is no surprise that "80% of the 57,000 nuns in the United States support this movement.

It is a sign of the times....a decline in morals and the rise of liberalism that has swept this nation, supported by the Liberal Democratic administrations of this country.

You truly would have to be a Roman Catholic, understanding how the Catholic Church on earth was begun by Jesus Christ to understand the severity of this situation.

I agree totally with the Pope.

Pope Francis is obviously a Pope whom was elected by men who prayed for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in this papal election.

They did NOT select this particular Pope on the basis of what the people of the world might be clamoring for, but on the basis of what God wants for a leader in the Catholic Church.

Veronica 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)