Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NY Teacher Place on leave for Assigning students a lesson about hate.

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • 111 Replies
1 mom liked this

NY teacher who assigned Nazi letter put on leave

The Associated Press

Saturday, Apr. 13, 2013 | 12:57 PM Modified Sat, Apr 13, 2013 02:08 PM

ALBANY, N.Y. -- A high school English teacher who had students pretend to be Jew-hating Nazis in a writing assignment has been placed on leave.

The teacher at Albany High School caused a storm of criticism after having students practice the art of persuasive writing by penning a letter to a fictitious Nazi government official arguing that "Jews are evil."

District Superintendent Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard held a news conference Friday to apologize for the assignment.

The Times Union newspaper reported ( http://bit.ly/ZTc4PU) on Saturday that the teacher was not in class on Friday and had been placed on leave by the school district.

The district has not named the teacher, who was described as a veteran.

US Nazi School Assignment
Mike Groll

AP Photo - Albany Public Schools Superintendent Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard speaks about a Nazi-themed assignment given to students during a news conference on Friday, April 12, 2013, in Albany, N.Y. Vanden Wyngaard said a high school English teacher could face disciplinary action for giving the writing assignment that asked students to make a persuasive argument blaming Jews for the problems of Nazi Germany.

The writing assignment was done before a planned class reading of the memoir "Night," by Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel.

For the assignment, the teacher asked students to research Nazi propaganda, then write a letter trying to convince an official of the Third Reich "that Jews are evil and the source of our problems."

"Review in your notebooks the definitions for logos, ethos, and pathos," the teacher's assignment said. "Choose which argument style will be most effective in making your point. Please remember, your life (here in Nazi Germany in the 30's) may depend on it!"

Wyngaard said she didn't think the assignment was malicious but "it displayed a level of insensitivity that we absolutely will not tolerate."

Many of the students were dismayed by the assignment. Some refused to write the essay.
Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/04/13/3256397/ny-teacher-who-assigned-nazi-letter.html#storylink=cpy

I can understand why the concern over this assignment was so controversial.  First of all this assignment comes on the heels of  Yom Shoah ..The start of the holocaust, as well as the coming of  Israel's Indepedence Day. 

And yet not even a month earlier another "Stupid" assignment was given by a professor of  FAU.  IMaybe I just don't understand where "education" is going these days, but I disagree with Wyngaard, both of these exercises were offensive, and malicious and insensitive, especially to students who have family members that survived the holocaust, and families that are extremely religious in their devotions to their belief in Jesus..

Florida Atlantic University  Apologizes for ‘Jesus Stomping’ Classroom Exercise

Boca Raton, Florida – A university in Southern Florida that came under fire this week after a student claimed that he was suspended for refusing to stomp on a piece of paper bearing the word “Jesus” has issued an apology.http://christiannews.net/2013/03/24/florida-atlantic-university-apologizes-for-jesus-stomping-classroom-exercise/

butterfly on headlynda  

by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't know..... I'm reading a book right now that periodically takes the perspective of the nazi. I think this assignment could be a deep, thoughtful, and eye-opening one. Poor teacher.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't know.  I think she could have come up with another topic to use.  

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

True, but this one is so.... interesting isn't the right word... Deep when looking at the history and psychology of the perpetrators. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Quoting desertlvn:

True, but this one is so.... interesting isn't the right word... Deep when looking at the history and psychology of the perpetrators. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Yes, it is.  I don't know.......it doesn't sit right with me, for obvious reaons, but then again, I am only reading an article.  To hear this woman explain and the direction in which she wanted this assignment to go, perhaps I would change my some what wavering opinion.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I think so too, there are a lot of subject being debated, Persuasion gun rights, marriage equality, immigration, priests/nuns allowed to be married or not.  And these are only modern issues.  There are other issues from the past that weren't so touchy that didn't murder/affect  so many people..and not just the Jews, but Poles, Russians, Romas, Gays/Lesbians, Mentally/Physically handicapped, people of high moral standard that would not allow Hitler's immoral code of conduct how they were going to live . etc.

butterfly on headlynda  

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Heaven forbid we give assignments that make people uncomfortable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:40 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't think people are intelligent enough to know that this was a teacher's attempt at stimulatimg the intellects of students by using Nazi propaganda methods as a teaching tool, probably to show what we have to be looking for and avoiding in the future. The IQ's of too many people have slumped lately. They probably know how to score big time on  their X-box games though.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:40 PM

So do you think it would be as "deep" if the subject matter was a different religion or nationality?  Or was it because Europe was so rich with anti semetic attitudes throught it's history that it made it so easly pickins for the nazis?  And forgive me for the Righteous Christians that did put their lives on the line to hide and save the Jews that they did.

Quoting desertlvn:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

butterfly on headlynda  

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Think about this for moment ladies, had Hitler not concentrated on his propaganda and hatred of the Jews, and not utilized all that energy on the camps and "rounding them up" so to speak, he most likely would have won the war, and we (well not me and some of us) but most of you would be living under nazi rule.

butterfly on headlynda  

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a coworker who feels passionate about teaching the holocaust from the nazi perspective exactly because of what you are saying. In fact, she teaches seminars about it.

Quoting lga1965:

I don't think people are intelligent enough to know that this was a teacher's attempt at stimulatimg the intellects of students by using Nazi propaganda methods as a teaching tool, probably to show what we have to be looking for and avoiding in the future. The IQ's of too many people have slumped lately. They probably know how to score big time on  their X-box games though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN