Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Comparing the yields of organic and conventional agriculture- A real science article!

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
krysstizzle
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Shoot, just obesity and obesity-related illness cost us hundreds of billions of dollars per year as a society, not even counting other diet-related illnesses. That's enourmous. The whole system is a vicious, sickening cycle. It's either brilliantly masterminded or just full of fucking morons. I haven't yet decided. 

All your talk of aquaponics has me wanting to try it out, too. I've wanted to do urban farming on a small lot, for sure, but now I'd really like to try out aquaponics, see if it's a good fit. 

Quoting smalltowngal:

Imagine how much money the government would save in health care costs if it started subsidizing community garden instead of the big three(corn, soy, wheat.) I am looking forward to next summer and hopefully setting up a large scale aquaponic system and growing 1000 lbs. of fish in a year. 

snip
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Best answer ever concerning this issue!

Quoting krysstizzle:

There is no conclusive evidence that genetically modified seeds cause harm to human health. Conversely, there is no convlusive, long-term evidence that genetically modified seeds do not cause harm to human health. Following that, corporations that control GMOs have a lot of money. Money talks, and money writes the laws. If you think differently, you're fooling yourself. Therefore, the liklihood of the FDA or USDA seriously assessing potential risks of GMOs is basically nil. 

The vast majority of people against GMOs are not fearful little chickens with their heads cut off, running around screeching about scary science. Quite the opposite. The majority of people that are against GMOs for any variety of reasons are educated and discerning. 

So. Try again. :/ 

Quoting coronado25:

The point is to be dicerning when it comes to one's sources of information. The usual anti gmo fodder is linked to either nothing, quackery, or unfounded hysteria. I am not against "organic", gmo, or whatever is next in our future for agriculture. I Am against the anti gmo sensationalized bad journalism and the fears that are based on it and wish everyone would learn a little more about gene expression and how genes work.

Quoting krysstizzle:

I'm wondering what, exactly, your point is in posting this. 

There are other studies that show the opposite or mixed results (this one out of Iowa State, showing mixed results, for example). There are plenty of others. 

And production isn't a problem. We produce more than enough food to feed everyone on the planet and feed them well. Distribution is the issue. 

Again, comparing the pros and cons, weighing the benefits and costs, sustainable farming (which may or may not be completely organic, btw) comes out on top every single time. 

Besides, "organic" is close to meaningless these days. The FDA, USDA, and other regulatory institutions are bought and run by corportations with some kind of vested interest. 

You have failed. Yet again.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

(I'm very interested in the aquaponics, if I had more room I'd try it. Someday when we own instead of rent, I'm going to try it. We prep, so it's a perfect set up for us and our needs.)

You've hit on the most important issue in the arguement here. Big Pharm doesn't want us healthy, do they? They want us sick and unhealthy so we will keep needing their product, so they continue to make trillions of dollars. There is no profit in a healthy, fit America. We aren't human beings to them, we're potential profit. 

Quoting smalltowngal:

Imagine how much money the government would save in health care costs if it started subsidizing community garden instead of the big three(corn, soy, wheat.) I am looking forward to next summer and hopefully setting up a large scale aquaponic system and growing 1000 lbs. of fish in a year. 

coronado25
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I will be back later to this AWESOME topic!  The wind has finally died a little and the sun is out.  Going sailing with my doggie.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep!  Don't hold your breath waiting for the OP to answer anything regarding the great points you and others brought up in the other post.  She clearly thinks she is the expert on the subject and thinks we are all ignorant morons.  Even those of us who do have a background (and careers) in Science.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Just like talking to a brick wall...

Op, do you have anything at all to say about the numerous points brought up between this post and the other on gmos?

coronado25
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM

What is your science background?

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Yep!  Don't hold your breath waiting for the OP to answer anything regarding the great points you and others brought up in the other post.  She clearly thinks she is the expert on the subject and thinks we are all ignorant morons.  Even those of us who do have a background (and careers) in Science.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Op, do you have anything at all to say about the numerous points brought up between this post and the other on gmos?

The cure for anything is saltwater.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Natural Sciences.  I am a microscopist for my company's research and development lab.

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting krysstizzle:

coronado25
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM

If a person were to even check one reference of any of the posts that sported  anti gmo articles on this website that I have seen, they would see that they were a a great source of misinformation and exaggerated, if not flat out false, claims. 

Ignorance, in this case is not bliss but stress, to those who take their info from such sensationalized, polarized, and shoddy articles.  

Genes give expression from within the nucleus of the living cell and everyday you unwittingly consume thousands of unknown gene sequences from unknown sources as you eat talk and breathe...

My point is that fear of eating a known gene product is not worth its weight in u's.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting krysstizzle:

coronado25
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

so with your background, why do you personally fear consuming gmo food crop?

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Natural Sciences.  I am a microscopist for my company's research and development lab.

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting krysstizzle:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

***sigh***

I am well aware of how genes work. You really don't get it. I'm tired (as I'm sure others are) of trying to explain it to you.

Quoting coronado25:

If a person were to even check one reference of any of the posts that sported  anti gmo articles on this website that I have seen, they would see that they were a a great source of misinformation and exaggerated, if not flat out false, claims. 

Ignorance, in this case is not bliss but stress, to those who take their info from such sensationalized, polarized, and shoddy articles.  

Genes give expression from within the nucleus of the living cell and everyday you unwittingly consume thousands of unknown gene sequences from unknown sources as you eat talk and breathe...

My point is that fear of eating a known gene product is not worth its weight in u's.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN