Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Comparing the yields of organic and conventional agriculture- A real science article!

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM
As I have already explained, research has not proven that GMOs are completely safe for human consumption over the long term. There are many reasons why there is concern over GMOs and further research is warranted. Many questions remain. GMOs should be labeled so consumers can decide for themselves if they would like to consume them or not. I am very skeptical of GMO companies for wanting to hide their product. If there is nothing to fear, why do they fear simple labeling?
Quoting coronado25:

so with your background, why do you personally fear consuming gmo food crop?

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Natural Sciences.  I am a microscopist for my company's research and development lab.

Quoting coronado25:

What is your science background?

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Yep!  Don't hold your breath waiting for the OP to answer anything regarding the great points you and others brought up in the other post.  She clearly thinks she is the expert on the subject and thinks we are all ignorant morons.  Even those of us who do have a background (and careers) in Science.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Just like talking to a brick wall...

Op, do you have anything at all to say about the numerous points brought up between this post and the other on gmos?

coronado25
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM

As I see it, research, decades of it, has not proved there is any harm either. And now we can know what a gene does and see the gene product and seeing that product and creating generations of it before it goes to farm as seed is part of the research.  There is no difference materially in the food. 

Labeling GMO would suggest that there IS something to fear and I firmly believe that there is not. The issue reminds me of when they had to label milk "no rbst" but also had to include that there is no significant difference between milk from cows on rbst and those not...for those who believe a hormone given to a cow can somehow be present in an active quantity in the cow's milk and then, have theability to carry on its message into the brain of  a human.

It just doesn't work that way.  

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

As I have already explained, research has not proven that GMOs are completely safe for human consumption over the long term. There are many reasons why there is concern over GMOs and further research is warranted. Many questions remain. GMOs should be labeled so consumers can decide for themselves if they would like to consume them or not. I am very skeptical of GMO companies for wanting to hide their product. If there is nothing to fear, why do they fear simple labeling?
Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Natural Sciences.  I am a microscopist for my company's research and development lab.

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Yep!  Don't hold your breath waiting for the OP to answer anything regarding the great points you and others brought up in the other post.  She clearly thinks she is the expert on the subject and thinks we are all ignorant morons.  Even those of us who do have a background (and careers) in Science.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Op, do you have anything at all to say about the numerous points brought up between this post and the other on gmos?

The cure for anything is saltwater.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Do we really need to do this yet again? When a gene sequence is taken out and replaced it can bring about undesirable traits that can indeed cause harm. It is different, hence the words "genetically modified".
Quoting coronado25:

As I see it, research, decades of it, has not proved there is any harm either. And now we can know what a gene does and see the gene product and seeing that product and creating generations of it before it goes to farm as seed is part of the research.  There is no difference materially in the food. 

Labeling GMO would suggest that there IS something to fear and I firmly believe that there is not. The issue reminds me of when they had to label milk "no rbst" but also had to include that there is no significant difference between milk from cows on rbst and those not...for those who believe a hormone given to a cow can somehow be present in an active quantity in the cow's milk and then, have theability to carry on its message into the brain of  a human.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting krysstizzle:

coronado25
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

So, you believe that the genes modified in GMOs were not evaluated prior to creating the seed or product that would be sold?

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Do we really need to do this yet again? When a gene sequence is taken out and replaced it can bring about undesirable traits that can indeed cause harm. It is different, hence the words "genetically modified".
Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting krysstizzle:

The cure for anything is saltwater.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM

*sigh* It's like trying to debate with a particularly dense post. How about you drop the bullshit and start looking at the real problems that GMOs cause? I'm not a fan of eating them and should have that option. However, my stance is based entirely on ethics. 

Also, how about some fun fact-based reading full of exciting sources for you?

http://earthopensource.org/files/pdfs/GMO_Myths_and_Truths/GMO_Myths_and_Truths_1.3.pdf

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM

There are a lot of things that are evaluated and determined to be safe until 20 years down the road, people start getting sick. It's happened with medication, chemicals, etc. GMO's haven't been out long enough to know the long term affects. Personally, I worry about the environmental costs of spraying everything with so much pesticides and fertilizers. I live an area where it's done by planes and it's not a pleasant time to be outside when they're spraying. I don't care for any factory farming. Not being able to actually kill GMO corn makes it a bit worse IMO than your average hybrid corn. 

Quoting coronado25:

So, you believe that the genes modified in GMOs were not evaluated prior to creating the seed or product that would be sold?

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting coronado25:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I'm sure they were evaluated. That doesn't mean that a problem will not be found further down the road that wasn't accounted for during the initial evaluation, hence the need for more long term studies.
Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting krysstizzle:

coronado25
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM

A gene is a message for making the gene product.  When you eat beef, the genes of that cow do not work within you.  When you eat a plant, it is the same thing.  If you have an altered genetic sequence in you (and you do, we are all mutants) that differs from the rest of the population, and someone cloned you and ate a bunch of yous, how would that hurt them in any way? If you had gene therapy (which is a science still very much in its infancy comparatively) and someone ate you, would the the corrected (modified) gene then hurt the person who ate you? 

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM

You are truly an arrogant, nasty b***h. You really need to learn some humility along with reading comprehension. 

Who exactly is expressing fear and anger? Lol, guess you don't realize that scientific minds tend to ask questions. Scientific minds are curious minds. So you go right ahead and stay close minded and ignorant. I prefer to question things and people and look at issues from different perspectives. But then again, I like to continue learning on a daily basis. You are more than entitled to stay stuck in your condenscending little world and pretend to know what you are talking about. 

Took me a while to realize you are just a simple troll but I've got your number now :)

Quoting coronado25:

I think a quick lookat the articles posted by those who express fear and anger towards genetic engineering reveals little dicernment and however magnificently educated, a lack of understanding (through no fault of their own) about science and research.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Quoting coronado25:

A gene is a message for making the gene product.  When you eat beef, the genes of that cow do not work within you.  When you eat a plant, it is the same thing.  If you have an altered genetic sequence in you (and you do, we are all mutants) that differs from the rest of the population, and someone cloned you and ate a bunch of yous, how would that hurt them in any way? If you had gene therapy (which is a science still very much in its infancy comparatively) and someone ate you, would the the corrected (modified) gene then hurt the person who ate you? 

So you know for a fact that GMO corn that has been engineered to be drought resistant won't have an issue with nitrate levels and kill cows that eat it? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN