Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

If you are wondering why we funded snail mating habits, it's to prevent children in developing countries from getting parasitic worms and stuff.

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

Snails in the Waters, Disease in the Villages

Treatment for snail-borne schistosomiasis works best over the long haul

Photo of a man examining water for infectious snails in coastal Kenya.

Monitoring for infectious snails in bodies of water near villages in coastal Kenya.
Credit and Larger Version

November 19, 2012

The following is part two in a series on the NSF-NIH Ecology and Evolution of Infectious Diseases (EEID) Program. For part one, please see Cool Cat in a Hot Zone. For part three: Underwater Whodunit: What's Killing Florida's Elkhorn Coral? For part four:'Defective' Virus Leads to Epidemic of Dengue Fever.   

Watch where you jump in for a swim or where your bath water comes from, especially if you live in Africa, Asia or South America. Snails that live in tropical fresh water in these locations are intermediaries between disease-causing parasitic worms and humans.

People in developing countries who don't have access to clean water and good sanitation facilities are often exposed to the infected snails. Then they're left open to the parasitic worms.

The worms' infectious larvae emerge from the snails, cruise in shallow water, easily penetrate human skin and mature in internal organs.

The result is schistosomiasis, the second most socioeconomically devastating disease after malaria. As of 2009, 74 developing nations had identified significant rates of schistosomiasis in human populations.

There has been much debate about how best to prevent the disease, says Charles King, a physician and researcher at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. "Beyond that," he asks, "how long should treatment last once someone has schistosomiasis?"

"Current guidelines focus on suppressing the disease's effects by limiting the infection during childhood," says King. "But that may not be enough to cure it or to prevent reinfection, leaving children still at risk for stunted growth and anemia."

King and colleagues recently published results of a study of long-term treatment of schistosomiasis in the journal PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases.

The team's work is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF)-National Institutes of Health (NIH) Evolution and Ecology of Infectious Diseases (EEID) program.

At NSF, the EEID program is supported by the Directorate for Biological Sciences and Directorate for Geosciences. At NIH, it's supported through the Fogarty International Center.

Schistosomiasis is usually treated with a single dose of the oral drug praziquantel.

World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines set forth in 2006 recommend that when a village reports that more than 50 percent of its children have parasite eggs in their urine or stool--a clear sign of schistosomiasis--that everyone in the village should receive treatment.

When 10 to 50 percent of children are affected, say the guidelines, only school-age children should be treated--every two years. With less than 10 percent, mass treatment is not suggested.

But because of the long-term health effects of schistosomiasis, says King, "we now think it's better to provide regular yearly treatment."

He and scientists Xiaoxia Wang, David Gurarie and Peter Mungai of Case Western Reserve University; Eric Muchiri of the Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation in Nairobi, Kenya; and Uriel Kitron of Emory University in Atlanta, Ga., used data collected in 10 villages in southeastern Kenya to run advanced models of village-level schistosomiasis transmission.

They scored the number of years each of the 10 villages would be projected to remain below a 10 percent infection level during a simulated 10 to 20-year treatment program.

All strategies that included an initial four annual treatments reduced community prevalence of the disease to less than 10 percent. Programs with gaps in treatment, however, didn't reach this objective in half the villages.

At typical levels of treatment, the researchers found, current WHO recommendations likely could not achieve full suppression of schistosomiasis.

"With more aggressive annual intervention that lasts at least four years," says King, "some communities might be able to continue without further treatment for 8 to 10 years.

"But in higher-risk villages, repeated annual treatment may be necessary for an indefinite period--until the eco-social factors that foster the disease [such as poor wastewater treatment] are removed."

In high-risk places, ongoing surveillance for the disease and annual drug treatment, the scientists say, need to become the mainstays of control.

In short, these villages require what they call "re-worming after de-worming."

But what happens if townspeople move to a more arid location, one with less fresh water and fewer snails?

In drier landscapes, schistosomiasis is a rare event that happens only during floods. Response to treatment, therefore, may be much better. Unless or until another flood occurs.

Although drier locales carry less risk for the disease, they're by no means free and clear. Even in arid locations, people would likely need to be treated more than once to get rid of the parasites.

"This research demonstrates the value of understanding where disease-causing organisms are in the environment," says Sam Scheiner, NSF program officer for EEID.

"Such knowledge can reduce human diseases much more effectively and at a lower cost than simply focusing on treatment."

The best goal, says King, is complete eradication of schistosomiasis.

To achieve that, scientists need to determine what makes a "wormy village," how often therapy is needed to prevent disease in such locations, and what can be done to change the environment so that a high-risk village becomes a low-risk one.

Related Websites
NSF Special Report: Ecology and Evolution of Infectious Diseases:http://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/ecoinf/index.jsp
NSF News Release: Controlling the Spread of Diseases Among Humans, Other Animals and the Environment:http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=125496

College Kid Forced To Remind Know-It-All Economist That He's Actually Not A Scientist

http://beingliberal.upworthy.com/college-kid-forced-to-remind-know-it-all-economist-that-hes-actually-not-a-scien-2

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Heheh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, when the US is a third world dump maybe we'll be able to help some of our own children ... or not. Most likely the knowledge won't be worth any more than the billions of worthless currency that we'll be wiping our tushies with.

I'm sort of resigned to it at this point, and the up side is that whatever takes the place of the US government won't be able to print money to prop up an empty treasury (or manipulate any currency or money matters). The disgusting part is that the a$$hats that blew it all will be living elsewhere and spending the money that they converted their US dollars into before it all went to poopoo ... while the citizens they royally bilked will be scavenging the dumps ~ at least those that make it through the first few months and/or saw it coming and took similar steps to protect themselves.

Those who think this is a good thing will likely be dumpster divers. I just can't feel sorry for people who simply refuse to understand that the US is broke (or are too dumb to grasp simple math and basic economics). Pat yourself on the back because the government blew more money that isn't there ~ because the economists have it right.

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM

When do you think that will happen and how exactly do you see that coming about?

Quoting Farmlady09:

Well, when the US is a third world dump maybe we'll be able to help some of our own children ... or not. Most likely the knowledge won't be worth any more than the billions of worthless currency that we'll be wiping our tushies with.

I'm sort of resigned to it at this point, and the up side is that whatever takes the place of the US government won't be able to print money to prop up an empty treasury (or manipulate any currency or money matters). The disgusting part is that the a$$hats that blew it all will be living elsewhere and spending the money that they converted their US dollars into before it all went to poopoo ... while the citizens they royally bilked will be scavenging the dumps ~ at least those that make it through the first few months and/or saw it coming and took similar steps to protect themselves.

Those who think this is a good thing will likely be dumpster divers. I just can't feel sorry for people who simply refuse to understand that the US is broke (or are too dumb to grasp simple math and basic economics). Pat yourself on the back because the government blew more money that isn't there ~ because the economists have it right.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly? I don't think we have a year. The US right now owes more than the combined EU countries. We've been floating by manipulating the interest on our debt and printing more money, but we're actually in worse shape than Greece now. Our 'credit' rating has been downgraded ~ and our money (and credit cards in several countries) are not being accepted. Many of the corporations based in the US are (or have been, quietly for some time now) are converting US dollars to other currency because of the associated risk. The US dollar has been the currency standard for a long time, but it's about done ~ and when that happens, it's going to be pretty rough. The projected outcome is a 25% - 52% drop in standard of living across the board in the US. Picture losing half of what you own, and only being able to afford half of what you now spend ~ IF you have the correct currency to spend on anything.

The end result will be that the US will have no money, no borrowing power (and if we are loaned anything it will be at a high interest rate), and may or may not BE the US dependent on any other country taking advantage of us during the upheaval. This happened to Britain when we took over as the currency standard ... but with China/Russia competing for the new top spot I don't know if we'd have just a rough decade or two like they did.

Also, Uncle Sammy is likely to take some pretty rough steps to try and remain intact ... not a pleasant thought. This has been building for over 50 years, and people have just kept on spending, watched jobs go overseas, willingly became consumers and stopped producing ~ not to mention the ever growing welfare sector on top of mandated welfare such as SS and Medicare. Given that Uncle Sammy has been in charge of this train wreck all the way, I tend to agree with those who are of the opinion that it has been orchestrated. A very few of the economists claim it's a smoke screen or just a flat out lie ... but that only makes me question what they have been smoking.

I'd be happy to be wrong ~ although if it just takes an extra year or so, the more welfare and spending in the meantime will just make things worse. The only other possibility is that the debt our children/grandchildren are inheriting right now will still end the same. The debt we have makes competent financial experts shudder at this point ...

... but those who applaud more spending or justify it as some sort of slap to those who are in favor of less spending/less government are the ones that are going to get the biggest reality check. I tend to not do conspiracy theories, but looking at our financial projections, a good many of them may be out there just based on the government's knowledge of what is coming and what Uncle Sammy thinks he may have to do to deal with the mess. The info is available for just about anyone to google, and anyone who has any basic accounting skills or financial knowledge can understand it.

Quoting survivorinohio:

When do you think that will happen and how exactly do you see that coming about?

Quoting Farmlady09:

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

well, you said third world country.  That would indicate loss of technology, loss of nuclear power, loss of utilities etc.

I understand the economic pressures of the time.  What I cant understand , outside of nuclear war, is how we would plunge to the depths I associate with third world countries.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Honestly? I don't think we have a year. The US right now owes more than the combined EU countries. We've been floating by manipulating the interest on our debt and printing more money, but we're actually in worse shape than Greece now. Our 'credit' rating has been downgraded ~ and our money (and credit cards in several countries) are not being accepted. Many of the corporations based in the US are (or have been, quietly for some time now) are converting US dollars to other currency because of the associated risk. The US dollar has been the currency standard for a long time, but it's about done ~ and when that happens, it's going to be pretty rough. The projected outcome is a 25% - 52% drop in standard of living across the board in the US. Picture losing half of what you own, and only being able to afford half of what you now spend ~ IF you have the correct currency to spend on anything.

The end result will be that the US will have no money, no borrowing power (and if we are loaned anything it will be at a high interest rate), and may or may not BE the US dependent on any other country taking advantage of us during the upheaval. This happened to Britain when we took over as the currency standard ... but with China/Russia competing for the new top spot I don't know if we'd have just a rough decade or two like they did.

Also, Uncle Sammy is likely to take some pretty rough steps to try and remain intact ... not a pleasant thought. This has been building for over 50 years, and people have just kept on spending, watched jobs go overseas, willingly became consumers and stopped producing ~ not to mention the ever growing welfare sector on top of mandated welfare such as SS and Medicare. Given that Uncle Sammy has been in charge of this train wreck all the way, I tend to agree with those who are of the opinion that it has been orchestrated. A very few of the economists claim it's a smoke screen or just a flat out lie ... but that only makes me question what they have been smoking.

I'd be happy to be wrong ~ although if it just takes an extra year or so, the more welfare and spending in the meantime will just make things worse. The only other possibility is that the debt our children/grandchildren are inheriting right now will still end the same. The debt we have makes competent financial experts shudder at this point ...

... but those who applaud more spending or justify it as some sort of slap to those who are in favor of less spending/less government are the ones that are going to get the biggest reality check. I tend to not do conspiracy theories, but looking at our financial projections, a good many of them may be out there just based on the government's knowledge of what is coming and what Uncle Sammy thinks he may have to do to deal with the mess. The info is available for just about anyone to google, and anyone who has any basic accounting skills or financial knowledge can understand it.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Farmlady09:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM

We probably won't collapse into a third world country. Just a second world like Russia. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

well, you said third world country.  That would indicate loss of technology, loss of nuclear power, loss of utilities etc.

I understand the economic pressures of the time.  What I cant understand , outside of nuclear war, is how we would plunge to the depths I associate with third world countries.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

If the cost of utilities, internet, etc. go up by 300-400% and your income (or even the capability of continuing that income) drop by 50%, can you afford internet? Gas? Oil? Electric? A phone? Healthcare or medication? Food?

If there are mass riots, and civil disturbances because people who are accustomed to being supplied with food stamps, SSI and SSDI checks, government pensions, etc. do not get them (and can't afford to eat, pay their rent or utilities, etc. ~not to mention may have no physical capability of earning any other income), there may or may not be services available in many areas, at least for a period of time. Given the known reaction to crisis in this country, just about anything is possible ~ even if I'd like to hope that more people would come out on their best behavior, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Some links (this is an across the board sampling as far as political leanings) ~ http://dailyreckoning.com/one-dominant-currency/

http://emlab.berkeley.edu/~eichengr/research/tawney_lecture2apr29-05.pdf

http://www.moneynews.com/FinanceNews/Bove-dollar-currency-reserve-China/2013/02/15/id/490589

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Good thing there's no shortage of tinfoil.

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM
You must have an ulcer! I understand the concept of extreme poverty and civil unrest, however what I mean is that we have highways, driveways and roads. Most of us have cars, the kids have bikes etc. I think that it is more as smalltown girl said:) You cant "Undevelop" a country.
Quoting Farmlady09:

If the cost of utilities, internet, etc. go up by 300-400% and your income (or even the capability of continuing that income) drop by 50%, can you afford internet? Gas? Oil? Electric? A phone? Healthcare or medication? Food?

If there are mass riots, and civil disturbances because people who are accustomed to being supplied with food stamps, SSI and SSDI checks, government pensions, etc. do not get them (and can't afford to eat, pay their rent or utilities, etc. ~not to mention may have no physical capability of earning any other income), there may or may not be services available in many areas, at least for a period of time. Given the known reaction to crisis in this country, just about anything is possible ~ even if I'd like to hope that more people would come out on their best behavior, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Some links (this is an across the board sampling as far as political leanings) ~ http://dailyreckoning.com/one-dominant-currency/

http://emlab.berkeley.edu/~eichengr/research/tawney_lecture2apr29-05.pdf

http://www.moneynews.com/FinanceNews/Bove-dollar-currency-reserve-China/2013/02/15/id/490589

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM

This needs to be tweeted to Stephen Moore of the Wall Street Journal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)