Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

*EDIT* White Brooklyn Teacher Calls Black Student 'Monkey,' Says Student's Mother (VIDEO)

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 91 Replies

click link to view video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/brooklyn-teacher-calls-black-student-monkey_n_3101400.html

White Brooklyn Teacher Calls Black Student 'Monkey,' Says Student's Mother (VIDEO)

A teacher at JHS 234 in Brooklyn is under fire for allegedly asking a black student if she was a "monkey."

PIX11 reports Deborah Perkins was alarmed to receive a phone call from her 12-year-old daughter in which the young girl described her teacher's attempts to stop her and other students from talking while the morning announcements were taking place.

Perkins said, "She told me, ‘My teacher called me and asked me if I was a monkey.’ She was, humiliated."

The Department of Education said the incident is under investigation.

EDIT:

PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO.  The mother acknowledges that the teacher apologized and explained that she did not mean her comment in a racial way, but the mother and community activists are demanding that this teacher be fired.

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO.  The mother acknowledges that the teacher apologized and explained that she did not mean her comment in a racial way, but the mother and community activists are demanding that this teacher be fired.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Howard Cosell is dead. No one can get away with (for whatever reasons) calling any minority a "monkey."

Added note, even Mr Cosell didn't really get away with this either ... Sorry if a teacher doesn't know this little common sense rule, she shouldn't be teaching
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM
4 moms liked this

I would have to hear the actual conversation that took place, the context of it.

I cannot automatically assume this teacher was referring to this child in a negative, racist way.  She could have been speaking about the child talking when she wasn't supposed to be, acting up in class.

I cannot automtaically call racist.

I can see that the mother is upset and I can understand why but calling some one a monkey does not always equal that person as having made a racist remark.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I would have to hear the actual conversation that took place, the context of it.

I cannot automatically assume this teacher was referring to this child in a negative, racist way.  She could have been speaking about the child talking when she wasn't supposed to be, acting up in class.

I can see that the mother is upset and I can understand why but calling some one a monkey does not always equal that person as having made a racist remark.

She could have been speaking about the child talking when she wasn't supposed to be, acting up in class.

yup

the young girl described her teacher's attempts to stop her and other students from talking while the morning announcements were taking place.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

She could have been speaking about the child talking when she wasn't supposed to be, acting up in class.

yup

the young girl described her teacher's attempts to stop her and other students from talking while the morning announcements were taking place.

Other students.  

I just can't out right say this teacher is racist or that she meant her attempt to get the kids to behave as they should have been doing racist.

ladysamanda
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Good lord. So no one can call a child a monkey as they are going across the MONKEY BARS at school/play ground!?? People need to grow some balls.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crazynut
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Oh lord!! I say we just get rid of all the teachers and let the kids have a free for all..

parentalrights1
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Eyeroll
shajdinyak
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I call my little ones at school little monkeys all the time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)