Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Today on Fresh Air: 'The Hell Of American Day Care': Expensive And 'Mediocre'

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 21 Replies

If you're interested in the quality of day care in this country, don't miss today's Fresh Air on NPR. Terry Gross interviews writer Jonathan Cohn, whose story The Hell of America Day Care is the cover story of the April 29 issue of The New Republic.  Listen online at www.npr.org. Enter Fresh Air in the search bar. 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow... sounds like it's going to generate some controversy...

... not from me, I've never swallowed the koolaid about group care for individual human children... 

But people are going to be some defensive about that!

lazycervix
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

The daycare in this country stinks. I should know I just had to quit because in my town there are only at home daycares and They were either dirty, had pitbull's just roaming around with the kids, or quit with no notice! With daycare's like these its no wonder the rate of single women on wellfare around here is so high. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Agree.  Expensive and shitty.  And I had my kids in an in home day care and they got a damn pit bull after I had been there for 6 months.  I was like WTF.  Why run out and get a big dog when you are supposed to be running a licensed business?  Ugh.

I have my girl at a YMCA licensed preschool, which rises to the level of mediocre.  I like the summer program better, it is more like a day camp than anything and they keep them busy.  But it is very expensive, over $200 per week per kid.  The in home day care I had them in was $150 per kid per week, and I felt that while the food was much better and they got more individual attention, they got bored more easily and plus they had a freaking pit bull.

Anyway day care is my single biggest expense behind my rent.  I have paid 10s of thousands over the last three years to go to work.  But we need my income, even if half of it goes to daycare.  And even then it sucks, for instance this week my preschool is having teacher training on Friday, so I have no daycare and have to take the day off of work, yet I still get to pay for the day of care.  It will cost me over $40 to not earn any money at all on Friday.  *sigh*

Quoting lazycervix:

The daycare in this country stinks. I should know I just had to quit because in my town there are only at home daycares and They were either dirty, had pitbull's just roaming around with the kids, or quit with no notice! With daycare's like these its no wonder the rate of single women on wellfare around here is so high. 

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Day care is a big problem in this country. We breifly looked into putting my two kids in daycare so I could go back to teaching when they were little..... after running the numbers we realized it would be a crazy thing to do. Sooo not worth it. We limped and struggled financially with me at home, rather than putting the kids into the care of someone who cared less about them in order to struggle just as much financially. 

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM
From my own experience, daycare was great. We were in an OK one and then found a great one. It was expensive but we felt it was worth it. Our kids were happy there and definitely well cared for. We were lucky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lazycervix
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

They YMCA here will only accept 3 and older and they must be fully potty trained. I have a 1 year old so that wouldn't work for me and it is very expensive. I had them in daycare 20 hours a week and I still had to pay 100 per kid for a total of 200 a week which is 800 a month. I made 10.75 an hour do the math lol. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

Agree.  Expensive and shitty.  And I had my kids in an in home day care and they got a damn pit bull after I had been there for 6 months.  I was like WTF.  Why run out and get a big dog when you are supposed to be running a licensed business?  Ugh.

I have my girl at a YMCA licensed preschool, which rises to the level of mediocre.  I like the summer program better, it is more like a day camp than anything and they keep them busy.  But it is very expensive, over $200 per week per kid.  The in home day care I had them in was $150 per kid per week, and I felt that while the food was much better and they got more individual attention, they got bored more easily and plus they had a freaking pit bull.

Anyway day care is my single biggest expense behind my rent.  I have paid 10s of thousands over the last three years to go to work.  But we need my income, even if half of it goes to daycare.  And even then it sucks, for instance this week my preschool is having teacher training on Friday, so I have no daycare and have to take the day off of work, yet I still get to pay for the day of care.  It will cost me over $40 to not earn any money at all on Friday.  *sigh*

Quoting lazycervix:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure there are terrible ones.  I feel so lucky that my kids were in a daycare that was fantastic, had a great set of teachers that were there through their entire tenure in the school, and we still keep in touch with to this day.  It's where I got all my babysitters.  I do feel like it is very expensive though.  And who wants to cut corners when it comes to people caring for their children?  We paid about $3000 a month for the twins in daycare.  Not everyone can afford that. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Exactly.  Before people start criticizing poor families for a parent not working you MUST consider the cost of daycare.  It can be absolutely the reason someone can't take a minimum wage or even $11 or $12 per hour job.  If it's two kids it's hard, for three almost impossible except for someone making well over 40g a year.

Quoting lazycervix:

They YMCA here will only accept 3 and older and they must be fully potty trained. I have a 1 year old so that wouldn't work for me and it is very expensive. I had them in daycare 20 hours a week and I still had to pay 100 per kid for a total of 200 a week which is 800 a month. I made 10.75 an hour do the math lol. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting lazycervix:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I wish there were better alternatives. DH was in school when my oldest was born so he was a SAHD during the day. Then after that my mother watched her for a year. I found a good way to work from home, but it took me several years to pull it off, just in time for DD#2...but not everyone is as fortunate to have this type of opportunity.

lazycervix
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I am lucky my husband makes as much as does and I don't have to worry about working. I was only working to get experience as I am in school to become an RN, but these poor moms who are CNA's I don't know how they would afford to live with out help. People really do need to think before judging.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Exactly.  Before people start criticizing poor families for a parent not working you MUST consider the cost of daycare.  It can be absolutely the reason someone can't take a minimum wage or even $11 or $12 per hour job.  If it's two kids it's hard, for three almost impossible except for someone making well over 40g a year.

Quoting lazycervix:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting lazycervix:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)