Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

West, Texas Rocked by Fertilizer Plant Explosion!

(CNN) - An explosion ripped through a fertilizer plant Wednesday night in West Texas and may have caused dozens of injuries, officials said.

A hospital in Waco, Texas, has been told to anticipate 100 injured people coming in from the fertilizer plant area, an official at the medical facility said. Glenn Robinson, CEO of Hillcrest Hospital, said a field triage station was being set up at the plant some 18 miles north of Waco after the Wednesday night explosion.

A photo after the explosion -- which reportedly happened around 7:50 p.m. (8:50 p.m. ET) -- showed a huge plume of smoke rising high into the air.

The West Fertilizer Plant is located about 20 miles north of Waco. A school and a nursing home are among the buildings near the plant, CNN affiliate KWTX reported.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM
They evacuated to the football field originally but are now afraid that another tank may blow so they have evacuated the "triage center" to a new location.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Based on the size of that explosion, I would not doubt that to be accurate and climbing. Good Lord, so much grief and sadness the past few days. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Now reporting atleast 60-70 people dead.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Possibly a fire that ignited a tank. Then the explosion of that tank ignited surrounding tanks...

Quoting rfurlongg:

I hope they are able to get everyone safely. Have they mentioned anything was to what they believe may have caused it?

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

No reported fatalities yet... But a nursing home collapsed in the explosion as did other buildings.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Wow. Hope there are no fatalities. Do they know what caused it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rowdys.Mommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM
We live 60 miles north and heard the explosion. Praying for everyone involved
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Power is out in West and neighboring towns so it may be hard to get ahold of anyone for a while...

Quoting Jacqalyn:

My uncle ( by marriage) has family who live in West. I keep checking on Facebook to see if they have heard from them but nothing yet.

My aunt and uncle( the one above) live in Lott and my brother and his family live in Chilton . This has hit way to close to home.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM
I just checked back and nothing yet.
They have confirmed over 60 deaths so far.

Quoting fireangel5:

They said a large area is without power. I hope you hear from them soon!!

Quoting Jacqalyn:

My uncle ( by marriage) has family who live in West. I keep checking on Facebook to see if they have heard from them but nothing yet.

My aunt and uncle( the one above) live in Lott and my brother and his family live in Chilton . This has hit way to close to home.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM
The town is small. Close to 3,000 people. :-/

Quoting fireangel5:

Based on the size of that explosion, I would not doubt that to be accurate and climbing. Good Lord, so much grief and sadness the past few days. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Now reporting atleast 60-70 people dead.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM
My friends in Everman thought there was an earthquake...

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

We live 60 miles north and heard the explosion. Praying for everyone involved
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM
where are yall hearing about the number dead? im watching kcen and they keep reporting at least 70 injured...but no deaths.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I live here. I'm watching it LIVE right now on WFAA.

Quoting tiffyhamm:

where are yall hearing about the number dead? im watching kcen and they keep reporting at least 70 injured...but no deaths.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)