Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

West, Texas Rocked by Fertilizer Plant Explosion!

(CNN) - An explosion ripped through a fertilizer plant Wednesday night in West Texas and may have caused dozens of injuries, officials said.

A hospital in Waco, Texas, has been told to anticipate 100 injured people coming in from the fertilizer plant area, an official at the medical facility said. Glenn Robinson, CEO of Hillcrest Hospital, said a field triage station was being set up at the plant some 18 miles north of Waco after the Wednesday night explosion.

A photo after the explosion -- which reportedly happened around 7:50 p.m. (8:50 p.m. ET) -- showed a huge plume of smoke rising high into the air.

The West Fertilizer Plant is located about 20 miles north of Waco. A school and a nursing home are among the buildings near the plant, CNN affiliate KWTX reported.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM
FYI.
Anyone in the area PLEASE use alternate routes and stay off of I-35! They need the highway for emergency vehicles transporting victims!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I was wondering cause I was just listening to the coverage on 97.5fm on our drive home from waco and I turned on the local station here, I'm in copperas cove so I don't know how much different our local stations are but I thought kcen being out of waco (I believe) would have at least reported on the casualities. I don't doubt the number is 70+, that explosion wss huge. This is sad.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I live here. I'm watching it LIVE right now on WFAA.

Quoting tiffyhamm:

where are yall hearing about the number dead? im watching kcen and they keep reporting at least 70 injured...but no deaths.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
My cousin just updated and said her family was ok as of right now.

They did say 5 firefighters and 1 cop are among those who have died.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM
I live up in DFW and we could see the smoke cloud in the distance. :-/

WFAA is saying 60-70 dead but the numbers are estimates and nothing is 100%

Quoting tiffyhamm:

I was wondering cause I was just listening to the coverage on 97.5fm on our drive home from waco and I turned on the local station here, I'm in copperas cove so I don't know how much different our local stations are but I thought kcen being out of waco (I believe) would have at least reported on the casualities. I don't doubt the number is 70+, that explosion wss huge. This is sad.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting tiffyhamm:

where are yall hearing about the number dead? im watching kcen and they keep reporting at least 70 injured...but no deaths.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Have you checked the Red Cross website to see if they registered safe?

Quoting Jacqalyn:

My uncle ( by marriage) has family who live in West. I keep checking on Facebook to see if they have heard from them but nothing yet.

My aunt and uncle( the one above) live in Lott and my brother and his family live in Chilton . This has hit way to close to home.

tiffyhamm
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM
This is so sad...so very sad. I really don't even know what to say. My heart aches for this town and their loved ones.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting tiffyhamm:

baquick
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Yikes. I live in north Dallas. That's horrible.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this
My cousin updated and said she heard from them and said they werewere ok as of right now.

Quoting baquick:

Have you checked the Red Cross website to see if they registered safe?

Quoting Jacqalyn:

My uncle ( by marriage) has family who live in West. I keep checking on Facebook to see if they have heard from them but nothing yet.

My aunt and uncle( the one above) live in Lott and my brother and his family live in Chilton . This has hit way to close to home.

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

:(

Rowdys.Mommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Our meteorologist reported that there was an unconfirmed earthquake in Fort Worth but it was actually the explosion. We didn't know what was going on and went outside to look around, didn't figure out what it was till I saw the news on facebook

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

My friends in Everman thought there was an earthquake...

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

We live 60 miles north and heard the explosion. Praying for everyone involved
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured