Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

West, Texas Rocked by Fertilizer Plant Explosion!

(CNN) - An explosion ripped through a fertilizer plant Wednesday night in West Texas and may have caused dozens of injuries, officials said.

A hospital in Waco, Texas, has been told to anticipate 100 injured people coming in from the fertilizer plant area, an official at the medical facility said. Glenn Robinson, CEO of Hillcrest Hospital, said a field triage station was being set up at the plant some 18 miles north of Waco after the Wednesday night explosion.

A photo after the explosion -- which reportedly happened around 7:50 p.m. (8:50 p.m. ET) -- showed a huge plume of smoke rising high into the air.

The West Fertilizer Plant is located about 20 miles north of Waco. A school and a nursing home are among the buildings near the plant, CNN affiliate KWTX reported.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I'm just south of West and explosion was caused by an initial fire.  Fire got out of control and exploded caused the bulk of the initial deaths.

got3boyz
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM

So sad :(

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Got home from work a bit ago and turned on the television.  Saw this.

So sad.  Frightening.

carlyshort
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:42 AM
At the police presser the spokesperson said it is being treated as a crime scene if it's proven it was a industrial accident then they Will change how it's investigated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donnah118
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:46 AM

This is just terrible! Poor people.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

What an asshole professor

Rhode Island professor Erik Loomis blames West, Texas, explosion on lack of unions and bad zoning

From the link above:

“[T]here are already lessons we can draw from this developing story. First, non-union states often have terrible working conditions that can lead to horrible accidents. They might rarely be this bad, but they kill. Second, a state with notoriously bad zoning and where capitalists are effectively allowed to do whatever they want is going to be a state where terrible things happen.”

We figured vile jackasses would politicize this disaster, but credit Loomis for being first out of the gate.

He and Nick Kristof would get along just fine.

baquick
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Awesome!

Quoting Jacqalyn:

My cousin updated and said she heard from them and said they werewere ok as of right now.

Quoting baquick:

Have you checked the Red Cross website to see if they registered safe?

Quoting Jacqalyn:

My uncle ( by marriage) has family who live in West. I keep checking on Facebook to see if they have heard from them but nothing yet.

My aunt and uncle( the one above) live in Lott and my brother and his family live in Chilton . This has hit way to close to home.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FoodIsLife
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM

explosion happens right after 0:28

VeronicaTex
We are now into Holy Week...The Triduum will be Holy Thursday (The Last Supper), Good Friday (Jesus' Crucifixion) and Easter Sunday (Jesus' Resurrection" ) Our Lord died for us!!!!
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I used to teach in St. Mary's Catholic School in West, TX, for three years, which is about 15 minutes north from where I have lived for the past 28 years.

It was about 20 years ago, when I was carrying Gracie.

Please, ladies, keep this town in prayer or send your best thoughts for them.

The devestation is unbelievable.

I have been watching the local news here.

There have been press conferences and continuing coverage. 

Once again, ladies, please keep these people in your thoughts today.

Sincerely,

Veronica

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Random question.... Why is the city called West when it is actually not in west Texas at all? It is much more central. I am just wondering.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured