Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Conservative radio host: Families of Newtown shooting victims can ‘go to hell’

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM
  • 29 Replies

Bob Davis screenshot

Minnesota radio host Bob Davis last week said last Friday he would like to personally tell the families in Newtown, Connecticut whose children were murdered to “go to hell.”

On his show Davis & Emmer, which is broadcast by Twin Cities News Talk AM 1130, he attacked the families of those killed in the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School for speaking in support of stricter gun laws.

“I have something I want to say to the victims of Newtown, or any other shooting,” Davis said. “I don’t care if it’s here in Minneapolis or anyplace else. Just because a bad thing happened to you doesn’t mean that you get to put a king in charge of my life. I’m sorry that you suffered a tragedy, but you know what? Deal with it, and don’t force me to lose my liberty, which is a greater tragedy than your loss. I’m sick and tired of seeing these victims trotted out, given rides on Air Force One, hauled into the Senate well, and everyone is just afraid — they’re terrified of these victims.”

“I would stand in front of them and tell them, ‘go to hell,’” he added.

Twenty young children and six adults were killed at the mass shooting in Newtown. Some of the families of the victims have become involved in the push to tighten the nation’s gun laws. Many conservatives, including singer Ted Nugent and Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), have alleged they are merely being used as “props” by President Barack Obama and other Democrats.

Davis acknowledged on Monday he was “getting some email” about his comments. But he did not offer an apology. Instead, he dismissed his offensive remarks as “an emotional predecessor to a thought which can and will find a more refined expression by me and others in the future.”

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM

davis emmer rect 2.jpg
Davis and Emmer: Talking tough about Newtown victims from the comfort of their radio studio.
This morning, Bob Davis addressed the firestorm created with callous comments he made about victims of gun violence during last Friday's Davis & Emmer show. 

THE BACKSTORY: Bob Davis, on Davis & Emmer show, says Newtown shooting victims can "go to hell" [AUDIO]

During that show, Davis, talking about how some people affected by December's mass school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, have become gun control advocates, said, "I would stand in front of them all, and tell them, 'Go to hell.'"

But Davis didn't exactly apologize today. Instead, he characterized his comment as "an emotional predecessor to a thought which can and will find a more refined expression by me and others in the future, I guarantee you."

Here's a transcript, followed by the raw audio (the transcribed segment begins around 18:20):
[DAVIS] Yes, we're getting some email regarding comments I made Friday on the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting tragedy, and ah, here's what you need to know and what some of you already know about me is that, ah, this is not a contrived show, I do not hide behind flowery language I do not pull my punches ah, when I'm passionate about something it comes out on the air, it's real and it will always be that way. Ah, you may not agree with what it is, but you know what I say to you is what I'm thinking, and I'm telling you that's how it is. It might provoke some thought for you, ah, it might not, but ah, I'm gonna say what I think and I'm going to say what I feel.

What I said Friday was an emotional predecessor to a thought which can and will find a more refined expression by me and others in the future, I guarantee you. But this isn't a newspaper or a magazine and we don't filter our views or commentary before we say it, it is radio, it's immediate, it can be emotional both in its immediate expression as well as its response. It's unrealistic, I think, to expect a compete filter for anybody doing live media. Ah, Bob, what's his name? Bob Beckel, for example [Emmer laughs]. Um, but there are those who would silence the opposition in their desire to have their way, majority rule not withstanding. We all have the right to express our opinions on any subject. I've made it clear that the shooting was a couple months ago or more, and it was a tragedy for all involved, we grieved and many people grieved together.

It's critical that people who have suffered a tragedy are able to speak and it's understandable that they would wanna, you know, dedicate their lives to the memory of their children. But it's also critical that our constitutional rights are protected. And here's the point in this: What's really at stake is the insecurity because of the loss of natural rights to defend ourselves from criminals as well as the encroaching power of the state. And it's important to look at the broad ramifications that this legislation might have on liberty and security and refrain from pushing it through by parading around victims or overestimating their credibility in policy preferences just because they're victims. Victims should not be exploited, it does not help them grieve, it does not help us grieve, and it does not advance the cause of liberty. But they are, and so they become public personalities and part of the political arena and so be it and we'll leave it at that.

[EMMER] Well, thanks for that. I appreciate the entire line of thought, Bob, but that one statement -- 'You should never use the victims of a tragedy for your political gain.' It's bad form, beyond bad form.

So according to Tom Emmer's world view, it's "beyond bad form" for gun control advocates to cite those impacted by the Newtown shooting while making their case, but telling those who have recently lost loved ones during acts of senseless gun violence to "go to hell" is something to be appreciated? We just want to be clear

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2013/04/bob_davis_offers_up_non-apology_for_outrageous_newtown_comments_audio.php

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd happily kick that fu**er in the mouth and I neither own a gun, nor do I support completely banning guns. He should have a one way ticket there for daring to compare having stricter gun laws to losing a child in such a sudden and violent manner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM
5 moms liked this

This man is a sorry soul.

I doubt he has any idea what it is like to lose some one, much less in the way those children were taken from their parents.

He should be ashamed of himself but it doesn't appear he has enough goodness within his being to do so.

He can sit in his chair, behind a microphone and say as he wants. He is entitled to free speech.  But his words have consequences.  I do hope those consequences, whatever they may be, hit him upside his head and knock some damn sense in to him.

Sick bastard.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM

If Obama is using them as props...then what is he using them for.

Disgusting!  If I was one of those victims parents and stood in front this douchebag...he would want to be very VERY careful of what he said to me.

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM

What a fucking douchebag. He doesn't have to agree with them, but to pubically say shit like that about those families? 

annelauer
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Despicable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I’m sorry that you suffered a tragedy, but you know what?

this asshole isn't sorry at all. what a liar. 

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Ugh. 

Thomigirl
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I highly doubt that he would stand in front of anyone and say anything resembling this. Bitches that hide behind microphones...SMH

lga1965
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:16 AM

HE can go to Hell !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN