Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Gun control: President Obama’s biggest loss

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM
  • 178 Replies
Never before had President Barack Obama put the moral force and political muscle of his presidency behind an issue quite this big — and lost quite this badly. The president, shaken to the core by the massacre of 26 innocents at Sandy Hook Elementary School, broke his own informal “Obama Rule” — of never leaning into an issue without a clear path to victory — first by pushing for a massive gun control package no one expected to pass, and then sticking through it even as he retrenched to a relatively modest bipartisan bill mandating national background checks on gun purchases. Continue Reading Text Size - + reset Obama: 'Shameful day in Washington' Why Obama, Congress can't do all Latest on POLITICO Playbook: TIME 100 Rove to Sebelius: 'Nice try' Clinton lauds Boston 'volunteerism' High hopes for energy bill Shuster's road to big money 'Medical mecca' Boston was ready It was a bitter defeat for a president accustomed to winning, a second-term downer that may — or may not — foreshadow the slow decline suffered by so many of his predecessors. Obama seems to have the public behind him, but it illustrated his less-than-Johnsonian powers of personal persuasion, the possible shortcomings of his decision to wait a month after the killings to present a plan and above all the limits of his go-to “outside” strategy of taking his case directly to the American people. (Also on POLITICO: Obama laments "shameful day") More than anything, it was an emotional blow to Obama, who was as irritated at the four members of his own party as he was at the 90 percent of Republicans who defeated the bill. One administration official told POLITICO the White House was especially disappointed with Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D), the only dissenting Democrat not up for re-election next year, who refused to go along with the bill even after White House chief of staff Denis McDonough visited her office to make Obama’s case on Tuesday. (Also on POLITICO: Gun bill hits brick wall in Senate) Still, officials believed Heitkamp would have flipped if they had gotten closer to the 60 votes they needed. “The president was tremendously committed and emotionally engaged. I watched the president with these families. He was there for them and really felt it,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a Connecticut Democrat who worked closely with the White House in the aftermath of the worst school shooting in the history of his state. (Also on POLITICO: Senate gun control roll call vote: Senators who bucked their party) “Background checks will happen,” he added, minutes after the vote. “This outcome is a delay, not a defeat.” Added Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.): “I never saw a president fight so hard, a vice president, never on any issue… It shows us the cowardice of the Senate.” In the end, however, moderates and conservatives in the upper chamber said they simply couldn’t deal with a flurry of progressive issues at once — from gay marriage to immigration to guns. The other three Democratic “no” votes — Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Mark Begich of Alaska — were never really in play, sources familiar with the situation told POLITICO. Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/gun-control-vote-obamas-biggest-loss-90244.html#ixzz2QoSQy6UN
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Obama angrily denounces gun-rights groups as willful liars

President Obama angrily blamed the defeat Wednesday of his centerpiece gun-control proposal on lies spread by the National Rifle Association, calling it “a pretty shameful day for Washington.”

“The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill,” Mr. Obama said in the White House rose garden about 90 minutes after the vote. “It came down to politics.”

SEE RELATED: Senate shoots down background checks for guns, angers Obama

As he spoke, Mr. Obama was surrounded by family members of victims of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting. Also with him was former Rep. Gabby Giffords of Arizona, wounded in an assassination attempt.

Senators voted 54-46 late Wednesday to expand background checks of gun purchases, six votes shy of the 60 needed for passage of the amendment.

The vote was a huge blow to the president’s efforts since the Newtown, Conn., school massacre last December to enact a broad package of new gun laws. Mr. Obama and his team had considered background checks the most likely gun restriction to be approved by Congress, with polls showing as much as 90 percent of the public in favor of the measure immediately after the Newtown shootings.

The president put the blame squarely on the NRA, which he accused of spreading falsehoods that the legislation would lead to a national gun registry.

“They claimed that it would create some sort of big-brother gun registry, even though it did the  opposite,” Mr. Obama said. “This pattern of spreading untruths … served a purpose. A minority in the U.S. Senate decided it wasn’t worth it. They blocked common-sense gun reforms, even while these families looked on from the Senate gallery. It’s not going to happen because 90 percent of Republicans just voted against that idea.”

Mark Barden, father of 7-year-old Daniel who was killed in Newtown, said any father in America could be in his shoes.

SPECIAL COVERAGE: Second Amendment and Gun Control

“It’s a proposal that will save lives,” he said of the measure. “We’ll return home now, disappointed but not defeated. We’ve always known this will be a long road. We will keep moving forward and build public support. We will not be defeated. We are not going away.”

Mr. Obama vowed not to give up on seeking more gun restrictions.

“You’ve got to send the right people to Washington,” he told voters. “That requires strength and it requires persistence. I see this as just Round One. Sooner or later, we are going to get this right. The memories of these children demand it.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/17/obama-denounces-gun-rights-groups-willful-liars/#ixzz2QoSeejeE
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Gun control: President Obama’s biggest loss

Barack Obama is shown speaking in the Rose Garden about the failed gun control vote, April 17, 2013. | AP Photo

More than anything, it was an emotional blow to Obama. | AP Photo

Never before had President Barack Obama put the moral force and political muscle of his presidency behind an issue quite this big — and lost quite this badly.

The president, shaken to the core by the massacre of 26 innocents at Sandy Hook Elementary School, broke his own informal “Obama Rule” — of never leaning into an issue without a clear path to victory — first by pushing for a massive gun control package no one expected to pass, and then sticking through it even as he retrenched to a relatively modest bipartisan bill mandating national background checks on gun purchases.

Obama: 'Shameful day in Washington'

Why Obama, Congress can't do all

It was a bitter defeat for a president accustomed to winning, a second-term downer that may — or may not — foreshadow the slow decline suffered by so many of his predecessors. Obama seems to have the public behind him, but it illustrated his less-than-Johnsonian powers of personal persuasion, the possible shortcomings of his decision to wait a month after the killings to present a plan and above all the limits of his go-to “outside” strategy of taking his case directly to the American people.

(Also on POLITICO: Obama laments "shameful day")

More than anything, it was an emotional blow to Obama, who was as irritated at the four members of his own party as he was at the 90 percent of Republicans who defeated the bill.

One administration official told POLITICO the White House was especially disappointed with Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D), the only dissenting Democrat not up for re-election next year, who refused to go along with the bill even after White House chief of staff Denis McDonough visited her office to make Obama’s case on Tuesday.

(Also on POLITICO: Gun bill hits brick wall in Senate)

Still, officials believed Heitkamp would have flipped if they had gotten closer to the 60 votes they needed.

“The president was tremendously committed and emotionally engaged. I watched the president with these families. He was there for them and really felt it,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a Connecticut Democrat who worked closely with the White House in the aftermath of the worst school shooting in the history of his state.

(Also on POLITICO: Senate gun control roll call vote: Senators who bucked their party)

“Background checks will happen,” he added, minutes after the vote. “This outcome is a delay, not a defeat.”

Added Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.): “I never saw a president fight so hard, a vice president, never on any issue… It shows us the cowardice of the Senate.”

In the end, however, moderates and conservatives in the upper chamber said they simply couldn’t deal with a flurry of progressive issues at once — from gay marriage to immigration to guns.

The other three Democratic “no” votes — Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Mark Begich of Alaska — were never really in play, sources familiar with the situation told POLITICO.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/gun-control-vote-obamas-biggest-loss-90244.html#ixzz2QoT9M5PK

lga1965
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM
3 moms liked this

“This outcome is a delay, not a defeat.” Added Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.): “I never saw a president fight so hard, a vice president, never on any issue… It shows us the cowardice of the Senate.” In the end, however, moderates and conservatives in the upper chamber said they simply couldn’t deal with a flurry of progressive issues at once — from gay marriage to immigration to guns. The other three Democratic “no” votes — Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Mark Begich of Alaska — were never really in play, sources familiar with the situation told POLITICO.

This is true. It's not over yet. My state senators were with the President and I am proud of them. Those of us who care about people more than guns will continue to believe that gun control will become a reality.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM
8 moms liked this

It's one thing to lose at your cause. It's quite childish to behave as he did at losing.

And of course....they can make all the laws they want. Those we need to fear are not concerned with laws anyway.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:25 AM
5 moms liked this

willfull lying - finally a subject that Obama knows something about.

kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM
6 moms liked this

Gun control is NOT the issue.

If they want to fix the problem, concentrate on mental health!

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting lga1965:

“This outcome is a delay, not a defeat.” Added Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.): “I never saw a president fight so hard, a vice president, never on any issue… It shows us the cowardice of the Senate.” In the end, however, moderates and conservatives in the upper chamber said they simply couldn’t deal with a flurry of progressive issues at once — from gay marriage to immigration to guns. The other three Democratic “no” votes — Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Mark Begich of Alaska — were never really in play, sources familiar with the situation told POLITICO.

This is true. It's not over yet. My state senators were with the President and I am proud of them. Those of us who care about people more than guns will continue to believe that gun control will become a reality.

4%, you are in the 4% of the country that thinks additional gun control is important - go away.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:29 AM
2 moms liked this

What a crybaby he is being.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I am having a lot of issues with this webpage this morning.  Is it just me or is anyone else having them also?   Does anyone have a link of O's reaction on this.  I heard he acted like a petulant child because he didn't get his way.   Would love to see that.

lga1965
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this
So you are saying that if my opinion is different from yours that I have to go away ?
Isn't this a Forum where everyone is allowed to have their own opinions ?
Is it appropriate for you to tell me I have to go away .....and I didn't even address my comment to you personally ?
It really is not fair, not socially acceptable .

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting lga1965:

4%, you are in the 4% of the country that thinks additional gun control is important - go away.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN