Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

If a 7 year old "gets it", why can't Congress seem to grasp the concept?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 7 year old daughter has been home sick for a week. We had a ton of make up work to get through. Normally this assignment would have been completed in class. 

My daughter asked for help with the following assignment. Being a former teacher, I am not going to just give the answers to her, so I simply read the definition provided, and the question, then asked her what she thought Jill didn't have enough of, or what she was missing, and repeated, " What is scarce for Jill?".

About 4 minutes later I noticed she had moved on to another worksheet, so I asked to see her work. This is what my 1st grader answered. 

I was dying laughing! I know that isn't the answer they were looking for, but I couldn't have her change it. She just saw the root of the problem. Waiting to see what her teacher says about it. Lol 
Out of the mouthes of babes. ;-) 

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
Zadidoll
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM

First, I have to say I laughed as well however my second thought was your daughter is being judgemental which means it came from the parents. Granted, Jill is not a real person but if Jill was a real person how would your daughter know if Jill had a job or not? LOL I hope you explained to your daughter that people can have a job but not earn enough money to pay for everything which is why some people have two and even three jobs to TRY to make ends meet but unfortunately for some they can't get a second or third job because jobs are scarce. ;)

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

My 7 year old daughter has been home sick for a week. We had a ton of make up work to get through. Normally this assignment would have been completed in class. 

My daughter asked for help with the following assignment. Being a former teacher, I am not going to just give the answers to her, so I simply read the definition provided, and the question, then asked her what she thought Jill didn't have enough of, or what she was missing, and repeated, " What is scarce for Jill?".

About 4 minutes later I noticed she had moved on to another worksheet, so I asked to see her work. This is what my 1st grader answered. 

I was dying laughing! I know that isn't the answer they were looking for, but I couldn't have her change it. She just saw the root of the problem. Waiting to see what her teacher says about it. Lol 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I don't think a barely 7 year old is being judgmental at all. She knows that in order to make money you have to have a job, in her 7 year old mind what is "scarce" is a job. Kids that age think very black and white. I didn't go into the politics of it. She will learn that as she gets older and I don't feel the need to watch her eyes glaze over explaining a concept she isn't ready to grasp. This conversation probably wouldn't come up in general conversation with my 2 younger daughters. That conversation has come up with my older daughter and we do explain that some people don't have jobs right now, or have jobs that don't pay enough to support their family because of the economy. 

Quoting Zadidoll:

First, I have to say I laughed as well however my second thought was your daughter is being judgemental which means it came from the parents. Granted, Jill is not a real person but if Jill was a real person how would your daughter know if Jill had a job or not? LOL I hope you explained to your daughter that people can have a job but not earn enough money to pay for everything which is why some people have two and even three jobs to TRY to make ends meet but unfortunately for some they can't get a second or third job because jobs are scarce. ;)

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

lol, cute!

Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

That's so cute! And that shows she's smart too, to be able to make connections like that. :)

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM

We thought so! Lol but we are a bit biased. ;-) 

Quoting Annettey19:

That's so cute! And that shows she's smart too, to be able to make connections like that. :)

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM

What I found amazing was that her teacher is teaching her the vocabulary word, "scarcity". That is pretty impressive.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Your kid needs some review on lobbyists and special interest groups and how the wheels of DC are greased.

Probably time for the "life's not fair and often times makes no sense talk"

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I agree.

Quoting desertlvn:

What I found amazing was that her teacher is teaching her the vocabulary word, "scarcity". That is pretty impressive.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I'd rather her not be initiated into politics until later. For now I am good with her learning vocabulary words without the political spin. ;-) 

Quoting Sisteract:

Your kid needs some review on lobbyists and special interest groups and how the wheels of DC are greased.

Probably time for the "life's not fair and often times makes no sense talk"

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Okay. I'm glad I am not that "out of the loop". Lol I was pretty amazed this was in their social studies vocabulary too! Lol 

Quoting desertlvn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)