Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Newtown Parent Mark Mattioli interview with Megyn Kelly. Why he opposes the push for stricter gun laws.

Posted by   + Show Post

Not all Newtown parents feel the same. My heart bleeds for every last one of them. 

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this
I thought we were supposed to listen to the parents? Yeah, for the hypocrites it only
Counts if they support gun restrictions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM

She may have just been trying to connect with him. Kids who are socially awkward often can be the same way with their parents. She was probably just trying to connect with him. But her method of doing so was a poor one. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I do think she was in denial. Reportedly she took Adam to gun ranges and encouraged his love of guns, in order to bond with him. If she couldn't see that her son had issues, I call that denial. From all accounts he was socially withdrawn and had no interest in anything outside of his violent video games and shooting. That would concern me to begin with as a parent, add in the rest? I see denial. My question too? How is it that she NEVER saw his working spreadsheet they found at her house of massacres? Can you imagine having a kid that was so incredibly incapable, but yet didn't check his room? I can't. Jmo of course, 

Quoting cjsbmom:

I don't think she was in denial, but I do think she could have done more to get him the help he needed, even if it meant involuntarily committing him. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I agree. I also agree with his statement that he holds Nancy Lanza partially responsible. I think she and her denial had a huge hand in this. 

Quoting cjsbmom:

He is correct in that there is a major failing in the mental health arena in this country. Guns alone did not cause Newtown to happen. They were the means by which an obviously mentally-ill individual carried out his plan. We've seen it time and again. Until the mental illness issue is addressed, nothing will really change. 

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM

That Davis asshat would be fine with this one speaking.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Bullshit. No one is on the radio telling this guy to 'go to hell'. And no one is on my facebook page telling me they agree that *those other parents should shut the fuck up.

No one is silencing anyone.

Quoting talia-mom:

I thought we were supposed to listen to the parents? Yeah, for the hypocrites it only
Counts if they support gun restrictions.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:53 AM

So if there is a parent who is against gun control does that mean the tragedy was real and not a set up by the government to take everyone's guns away?

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I find it humbling that in the wake of a tragedy...the passing of his child... that he can think reasonably and rationally. On another note, I am saddened that people who are not directly impacted by the Newtown tragedy can't do the same. There is hope for the American people - there are still people that can think for themselves and logically.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

soooo....Obama uses the parents who do oppose gun control, but this guy's on nobody's agenda.  Sigh

Gun deaths in the US are ridiculously high and yet the gun nuts cant seem to see a correlation with lax control.  Talk about ostrich syndrome.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I agree. I also agree with his statement that he holds Nancy Lanza partially responsible. I think she and her denial had a huge hand in this. 

Quoting cjsbmom:

He is correct in that there is a major failing in the mental health arena in this country. Guns alone did not cause Newtown to happen. They were the means by which an obviously mentally-ill individual carried out his plan. We've seen it time and again. Until the mental illness issue is addressed, nothing will really change. 

I agree totally.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cjsbmom:

I don't think she was in denial, but I do think she could have done more to get him the help he needed, even if it meant involuntarily committing him. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting cjsbmom:

If she wasn't in denial how do you explain her being so supportive of Adam's obsession with guns and violent video games?  Why would she take him to a gun shooting range, etc.?

MamaAjax
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:57 AM

I'm all for the needing to fix the failing mental health system in American. And I'm all for guns

There was a quote going around a few years ago and still pops up every now and again.

Quote:

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." is a quote by Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II. Of course it was originally stated in Japanese, this is the English translation.

Apparently, there is no proof that this was ever said, that is correct. However, it should be noted that Yamamoto spent time in the U.S., attending Harvard for two or more years. He spoke fluent English and had a keen understanding of the industrial capabilities of the United States. He did not want war with the U.S. for this, and possibly other reason. Therefore, while he may not have made this now-famous quote, it is likely that he may have believed it, therefore being a good person to attribute it to.

True or not this quote does bring to light a certain positive note that people tend to forget. America has the largest armed civilian force and is possibly one of the many things that has kept us from being invaded over the years.

Yamamoto was very much against attacking America, but he lost to the Majority and did as he was ordered.

Quote:

I fear that all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.

this was one of his quotes concerning the attack on Pearl Harbor

So is this one.....
Quote:

Should hostilities once break out between Japan and the United States, it is not enough that we take Guam and the Philippines, nor even Hawaii and San Francisco. We would have to march into Washington and sign the treaty in the White House. I wonder if our politicians (who speak so lightly of a Japanese-American war) have confidence as to the outcome and are prepared to make the necessary sacrifices?

Makes me wonder when America stopped being feared for it's strength, respected for it's achievements, and started bowing down and apologizing for it's ideals.

Gun rights is one of the unquiely universal rights of America that truly does protect it's citizens. While I may never own or fire a gun in my life. I hope my neighbors do so they might be able to protect me and my son. It helps that my husband is taking classes to get his weapons permit too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN