Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Counselor Fired for Comment on Facebook after West, TX Incident

GRAND PRAIRIE -- Karon Wright, a middle school counselor in Grand Prairie ISD, has been "immediately relieved of all duties," the district said, after an offensive remark written from her Facebook account on WFAA-TV's Facebook page in regards to the explosion in West, Texas.

"It's amazing how the 'whites' get angry when Obama speaks," the comment read. "Oh well....its most of the whites who is getting blown away. So they will soon be wiped from the earth. Lol"

The district said in a statement they found the statement to be "highly offensive, insensitive to the tragedy happening to our friends and neighbors in West, and disrespectful to the very human bond that we share with the people of West, especially those who have lost their loved ones."

Link:
http://www.wfaa.com/news/education/Grand-Prairie-councilor-relieved-of-duties-after-comment-on-WFAAs-Facebook-page-203681141.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Replies (101-102):
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM
oh darn your luck
Quoting Themis_Defleo:

Of course I didn't miss that part.  I'm only wishing she lived in my state so I could make some greenbacks off the situation1

• Quoting candlegal:

did you miss the part where they DID fire her?
Quoting Themis_Defleo:

They are not just any employer - they are a government agency.  They are subject to constitutional limitations.  If she worked for Joe's Diner, they can can her.  If she worked for Monsanto, they can can her.  She is a government employee, and the government can't just fire people for expressing opinions - even bad ones.

Quoting candlegal:

No, they are employer and they had every right to fire her, which they did. So apparently she couldn't say what she wanted on her private time on facebook. Lesson learned, bet she won't do it on her next job, when she is able to get one again.
Quoting ButterMeUp:

Unless she's friends with any of them, they shouldn't have. Most students don't randomly troll teachers FBs unless they are looking for something or have overheard something might be on it. As a couseler, I doubt she was popular enough with the kids for them to go look randomly. She was more than likely told on by a fellow teacher. The only way students would know is if the teachers were unprofessional and talked to students about it or around them.

Like I said, they are not her masters or owners. She can say what she wishes on her private time, no matter how stupid. 

Themis_Defleo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Yes.  It sucks.  I suppose I'll have to have some more kids so I can qualify for food stamps.

Quoting candlegal:

oh darn your luck
Quoting Themis_Defleo:

Of course I didn't miss that part.  I'm only wishing she lived in my state so I could make some greenbacks off the situation1

• Quoting candlegal:

did you miss the part where they DID fire her?
Quoting Themis_Defleo:

They are not just any employer - they are a government agency.  They are subject to constitutional limitations.  If she worked for Joe's Diner, they can can her.  If she worked for Monsanto, they can can her.  She is a government employee, and the government can't just fire people for expressing opinions - even bad ones.

Quoting candlegal:

No, they are employer and they had every right to fire her, which they did. So apparently she couldn't say what she wanted on her private time on facebook. Lesson learned, bet she won't do it on her next job, when she is able to get one again.
Quoting ButterMeUp:

Unless she's friends with any of them, they shouldn't have. Most students don't randomly troll teachers FBs unless they are looking for something or have overheard something might be on it. As a couseler, I doubt she was popular enough with the kids for them to go look randomly. She was more than likely told on by a fellow teacher. The only way students would know is if the teachers were unprofessional and talked to students about it or around them.

Like I said, they are not her masters or owners. She can say what she wishes on her private time, no matter how stupid. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)