Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Counselor Fired for Comment on Facebook after West, TX Incident

GRAND PRAIRIE -- Karon Wright, a middle school counselor in Grand Prairie ISD, has been "immediately relieved of all duties," the district said, after an offensive remark written from her Facebook account on WFAA-TV's Facebook page in regards to the explosion in West, Texas.

"It's amazing how the 'whites' get angry when Obama speaks," the comment read. "Oh well....its most of the whites who is getting blown away. So they will soon be wiped from the earth. Lol"

The district said in a statement they found the statement to be "highly offensive, insensitive to the tragedy happening to our friends and neighbors in West, and disrespectful to the very human bond that we share with the people of West, especially those who have lost their loved ones."

Link:
http://www.wfaa.com/news/education/Grand-Prairie-councilor-relieved-of-duties-after-comment-on-WFAAs-Facebook-page-203681141.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Replies (31-40):
teri4lance
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM

what an asshole. It's scary that people even think this way, it's even scarier that she's been put in charge of helping children during difficult times. 

Rbrown72707
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:34 PM

It's a cultural thing.  Can't we just respect our differences?  What she said was wrong and it was dumb for her to post it on FB, but we're going to argue over whether people should speak in ebonics or not?  My husband is from Jamaica.  They have their own dialect too.  Just  because it is different doesn't make it wrong.  

Quoting leanntx:

Yes, I realize that. It's ridiculous, I've never understood why people would willingly talk like that. Also SMH!!

Quoting candlegal:

You do realize she is speaking in ebonics and it wasn't too long ago that a certain faction wanted to make that into an acceptable form of the english language. SMH

Quoting leanntx:

"It's amazing how the 'whites' get angry when Obama speaks," the comment read. "Oh well....its most of the whites who IS getting blown away. So they will soon be wiped from the earth. Lol"

Despite the fact that the comment is extremely insensitive, as well as racist, who would want someone teaching their children when they can't even "speak" using proper grammar?? I commend the district for taking action.

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:37 PM

It sounds like the school district is handling the situation properly....good for them!

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I am sure you did, I was being sarcastic. When my youngest was still going to a government run school, she was in speech in the 3rd grade. When she started the fourth grade they wanted to put her in speech class again and the school had the new speech teacher call me. She spoke to me in ebonics and I remember thinking and they think she is going to teach my daughter how to speak, I don't think so. I went to the school and had her taken out of the class.
Quoting leanntx:

Yes, I realize that. It's ridiculous, I've never understood why people would willingly talk like that. Also SMH!!

Quoting candlegal:

You do realize she is speaking in ebonics and it wasn't too long ago that a certain faction wanted to make that into an acceptable form of the english language. SMH

Quoting leanntx:

"It's amazing how the 'whites' get angry when Obama speaks," the comment read. "Oh well....its most of the whites who IS getting blown away. So they will soon be wiped from the earth. Lol"

Despite the fact that the comment is extremely insensitive, as well as racist, who would want someone teaching their children when they can't even "speak" using proper grammar?? I commend the district for taking action.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
It might be a cultural thing but it has no place in the classroom.
Quoting Rbrown72707:

It's a cultural thing.  Can't we just respect our differences?  What she said was wrong and it was dumb for her to post it on FB, but we're going to argue over whether people should speak in ebonics or not?  My husband is from Jamaica.  They have their own dialect too.  Just  because it is different doesn't make it wrong.  

Quoting leanntx:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting leanntx:

Rbrown72707
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

She wasn't in the classroom, she posted on FB.  If she does speak like that in the classroom, that would be strange.  I don't know many middle school guidance counselors that have classrooms, though.  

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting leanntx:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting leanntx:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Love her use of spelling and grammar.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM
How about it has no place in school where she is supposed to be helping children. I am not sure if you saw where I posted earlier that my daughter was taking speech and they gave her a new teacher who spoke ebonics. Why would my daughter who could speak better than the teacher continue in speech classes. Your husband being from Jamaica wouldn't be expected to speak proper english but anyone that was raised in the U.S. that wants to work in a school should be able to speak proper english. blockquote class="quotedText">Quoting Rbrown72707:

She wasn't in the classroom, she posted on FB.  If she does speak like that in the classroom, that would be strange.  I don't know many middle school guidance counselors that have classrooms, though.  

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting leanntx:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting leanntx:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I would've done the same.

Quoting candlegal:

I am sure you did, I was being sarcastic. When my youngest was still going to a government run school, she was in speech in the 3rd grade. When she started the fourth grade they wanted to put her in speech class again and the school had the new speech teacher call me. She spoke to me in ebonics and I remember thinking and they think she is going to teach my daughter how to speak, I don't think so. I went to the school and had her taken out of the class.

Quoting leanntx:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting leanntx:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I see this on the local Facebook pages! People have pictures and names and still think that they are posting anonymous in MC! Stupid, and she deserved to get fired!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN