Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Counselor Fired for Comment on Facebook after West, TX Incident

GRAND PRAIRIE -- Karon Wright, a middle school counselor in Grand Prairie ISD, has been "immediately relieved of all duties," the district said, after an offensive remark written from her Facebook account on WFAA-TV's Facebook page in regards to the explosion in West, Texas.

"It's amazing how the 'whites' get angry when Obama speaks," the comment read. "Oh well....its most of the whites who is getting blown away. So they will soon be wiped from the earth. Lol"

The district said in a statement they found the statement to be "highly offensive, insensitive to the tragedy happening to our friends and neighbors in West, and disrespectful to the very human bond that we share with the people of West, especially those who have lost their loved ones."

Link:
http://www.wfaa.com/news/education/Grand-Prairie-councilor-relieved-of-duties-after-comment-on-WFAAs-Facebook-page-203681141.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Replies (41-50):
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Just another reason to love the government run schools. If it isn't pc or filling a quota, they don't want anything to do with it. Screw what is best for the children. I will say it again it hasn't been about the children for a very long time.
Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I would've done the same.

Quoting candlegal:

I am sure you did, I was being sarcastic. When my youngest was still going to a government run school, she was in speech in the 3rd grade. When she started the fourth grade they wanted to put her in speech class again and the school had the new speech teacher call me. She spoke to me in ebonics and I remember thinking and they think she is going to teach my daughter how to speak, I don't think so. I went to the school and had her taken out of the class.

Quoting leanntx:

Yes, I realize that. It's ridiculous, I've never understood why people would willingly talk like that. Also SMH!!

Quoting candlegal:

You do realize she is speaking in ebonics and it wasn't too long ago that a certain faction wanted to make that into an acceptable form of the english language. SMH

Quoting leanntx:

"It's amazing how the 'whites' get angry when Obama speaks," the comment read. "Oh well....its most of the whites who IS getting blown away. So they will soon be wiped from the earth. Lol"

Despite the fact that the comment is extremely insensitive, as well as racist, who would want someone teaching their children when they can't even "speak" using proper grammar?? I commend the district for taking action.

leanntx
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I know you were. 😊 I'm with you, if any of my kids' teachers spoke that way, I would do the same. It just makes them sound uneducated. It just makes no sense to me.

Quoting candlegal:

I am sure you did, I was being sarcastic. When my youngest was still going to a government run school, she was in speech in the 3rd grade. When she started the fourth grade they wanted to put her in speech class again and the school had the new speech teacher call me. She spoke to me in ebonics and I remember thinking and they think she is going to teach my daughter how to speak, I don't think so. I went to the school and had her taken out of the class.

Quoting leanntx:

Yes, I realize that. It's ridiculous, I've never understood why people would willingly talk like that. Also SMH!!

Quoting candlegal:

You do realize she is speaking in ebonics and it wasn't too long ago that a certain faction wanted to make that into an acceptable form of the english language. SMH

Quoting leanntx:

"It's amazing how the 'whites' get angry when Obama speaks," the comment read. "Oh well....its most of the whites who IS getting blown away. So they will soon be wiped from the earth. Lol"

Despite the fact that the comment is extremely insensitive, as well as racist, who would want someone teaching their children when they can't even "speak" using proper grammar?? I commend the district for taking action.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM
im glad they put her on leave asap. They cant fire her without an investegation so for now atleast she is not around the children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Doesn't sound like someone who should be giving advice to kids.  

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM

What an idiot.

SuperChicken
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I might be gullible but I want to believe her that her account was hacked.   Facebook should be able to tell, shouldn't they?   That statement is just so out there hateful and racist, that it's crazy to think that someone who chose to work with kids would make it.

Mama2JoshKatie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Wow, just wow. I live in Arlington, and my Mom lives in Waco. Her co-workers best friend was killed in West. I know people who have been down there in the middle of the relief efforts and they report they saw people walking around crying. People are still looking for loved ones, others are burying their loved ones. SO much grief and devestation, many of us are trying to figure out the best way we can help....and this lady who is supposed to be a counselor for children posts something like that on FB. She clearly has no business counseling anyone, especially children!!

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

And this is a school counselor? Nice. 

meriana
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM
This was a middle school counselor? Good she was fired, sure wouldn't want someone like her counseling kids anywhere.
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Oh wow....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured