Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Read the Hunger Games to an 8 and 9 yr old? 

They have seen the movie.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Replies (81-90):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I think the imagination can make it more vivid than the movie made it (if that makes sense)...

But I disagree. The Cornocopia scene is vivid in the book... It's described that the first boy's blood is splattered all over Katniss when they fight for the bag... But again I think it's because my imagination is more vivid when I'm reading than when it's played out for me on a movie screen. :-)
The Cato scene bothered me more in the book than the movie because in the book the mutts attack him and mail him for over an hour before dragging his body into the Cornocopia. In the movie they make it seem so quick and done. Ya know?

Quoting canadianmom1974:

I literally just finished rereading The Hunger Games last night, and I didn't find it to be more graphic than the movie. The scene at the cornucopia was glossed over, at that time Katniss was more focused on herself. And even the mutt scene, was more about, first discovering that the mutts were the dead tributes, and secondly staying alive, keeping Peeta alive through the night. The book hardly mentions what's happening to Cato.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Oh no... The movie was tame compared to the books in my opinion. The mutt scene in the book is so graphic but the movie just cut in and out and didn't show much. The trackerjackers that you mentioned. The scene where Thresh kills Clove is much more violent in the book. And then the opening of the games at the Cornocopia is really graphic in the book. I think the movie toned it down a lot so they could keep the PG-13 rating. I'm curious what they're going to do for the next two movies... Because I don't think keeping PG-13 is possible.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Also... Jus FYI, the books are far more graphic.

I dont remember that being true.  I thought the movie violence was much more graphic.  The wasp incident was the exception that I remember, as I mentioned earlier, the hallucination Katniss had was far more graphic in the book.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM
That is very true... I wish there was more narrative as well...

Quoting survivorinohio:

As much as I liked the movie I think maybe it should have had some narration.  Sooo much of the book was her thoughts.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

I literally just finished rereading The Hunger Games last night, and I didn't find it to be more graphic than the movie. The scene at the cornucopia was glossed over, at that time Katniss was more focused on herself. And even the mutt scene, was more about, first discovering that the mutts were the dead tributes, and secondly staying alive, keeping Peeta alive through the night. The book hardly mentions what's happening to Cato.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Oh no... The movie was tame compared to the books in my opinion. The mutt scene in the book is so graphic but the movie just cut in and out and didn't show much. The trackerjackers that you mentioned. The scene where Thresh kills Clove is much more violent in the book. And then the opening of the games at the Cornocopia is really graphic in the book. I think the movie toned it down a lot so they could keep the PG-13 rating. I'm curious what they're going to do for the next two movies... Because I don't think keeping PG-13 is possible.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I dont remember that being true.  I thought the movie violence was much more graphic.  The wasp incident was the exception that I remember, as I mentioned earlier, the hallucination Katniss had was far more graphic in the book.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Not a genre I enjoy.

I actually read very, very little fiction, and the vast majority of what I do read is comic fiction.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Why wouldn't you read it?

Quoting LindaClement:

I wouldn't read it at all.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM

If my child wanted to read it and I felt they could handle it, yes. My oldest is 6 and I told her she needs to wait.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

This was one of the rare cases where I thought the movie was more intense/scary than the book. If the movie didn't bother them I think it'd be fine.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

*high five*

Non-fiction ftw!

Quoting LindaClement:

Not a genre I enjoy.

I actually read very, very little fiction, and the vast majority of what I do read is comic fiction.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Why wouldn't you read it?

Quoting LindaClement:

I wouldn't read it at all.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes! Some voice overs of her thoughts.

Quoting survivorinohio:

As much as I liked the movie I think maybe it should have had some narration.  Sooo much of the book was her thoughts.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I think it depends on the child and his or her maturity level, but I don't think it's inherently a bad idea. I'm a fan of anything that gets kids reading books, and the Hunger Games series is well-written.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I completely agree. I don't feel like I would have really understood Katniss if I hadn't read the book (but maybe if I hadn't read the book, I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on anything, lol).

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
My 11 year old son has read the first book, but my 9 year old daughter isn't interested yet. The theme is pretty mature for a children's book, so I think it really depends on the child. I definitely think the parent should either read the book with their child, or have already read the book, so they are able to discuss some of the more intense scenes with their child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN