Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cliques, hey we havent talked about them in a while ;)

Do you feel as if there are cliques here?

I think there used to be and that they have mostly dispersed, members leaving and so on.

Do you feel welcome to speak your mind here?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Replies (41-50):
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM
3 moms liked this

I only say half of what I'd like to, and I'm not here much. Not because I think there are cliques, but honestly because many people don't know how to respond maturely or respectfully. Not worth my time :)

krysstizzle
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I find that there are very few people who all have the same opinion on all political and social topics. Most people have left or right tendencies, I suppose, but I've only encountered very few people who follow party lines, so to speak.

As for the rest, people get "attacked" (if you want to call it that) for saying they like Obama, as well. Just the nature of our unfortunately polarized two-party system at the moment. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I wonder why it is that there is mostly Liberals on here. What has them believing in being a Liberal vs. a Conservative. To me there seems to be a middle-ground in what I believe. A LOT of the things a Liberal says, I totally disagree and am against. MOST of what Conservatives say, I do agree with. But, I can't say I believe in everything they say. It seems that anytime a person just brings up Obama, wow they are going to get a real bashing! lol..But, then I wonder why? Why can't people talk about Obama, that they don't like him. OR the things they don't like about him. WITHOUT getting attacked?
Quoting krysstizzle:

I don't think so. I think the majority are generally liberal/left leaning, but certainly not 99%. And extreme left is much smaller than that. 

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

It has gotten better...

I think this group and its active members are primarily made up of extreme liberals, I'd say 99% are liberals, so those like me that are conservative on the big issues are pretty much outcasted and outnumbered.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Lol. Yeah, I probably say too much at times. But, still there's more that I would like to say, but I don't. You are right though, it shouldn't be worth my time lol. My husband tells me this all the time. But, he doesn't like to discuss issues that are going on in this Country. You're right too in saying that many people here in this group, don't know how to respond maturely or respectfully. Too bad because it's actually fun debating, but only if it's done respectfully.
Quoting Ziva65:

I only say half of what I'd like to, and I'm not here much. Not because I think there are cliques, but honestly because many people don't know how to respond maturely or respectfully. Not worth my time :)

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess it's not really the opposite political perspective or religious/ social beliefs that bother me. I'm a conservative Republican, conservative Christian.

Some very good friends are just the opposite. We get along great, and have wonderful, respectful conversations. With one, we get together occasionally, and one of our favorite things to do is sit down on a Fri or Sat night have a glass of wine and a chat. We can chat for hours, and very kindly. While we totally disagree on almost everything, we still have great conversations and quasi debates. I'm the first she calls in an emergency, and she is my kids' emergency contact. I love her as a person, it doesn't matter that we are polar opposites on most things.

Given that- I don't see that level of respect or kindness, here whatsoever. It makes me think it's maturity- not necessarily age, but maturity.

Quoting krysstizzle:

I find that there are very few people who all have the same opinion on all political and social topics. Most people have left or right tendencies, I suppose, but I've only encountered very few people who follow party lines, so to speak.

As for the rest, people get "attacked" (if you want to call it that) for saying they like Obama, as well. Just the nature of our unfortunately polarized two-party system at the moment. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I wonder why it is that there is mostly Liberals on here. What has them believing in being a Liberal vs. a Conservative. To me there seems to be a middle-ground in what I believe. A LOT of the things a Liberal says, I totally disagree and am against. MOST of what Conservatives say, I do agree with. But, I can't say I believe in everything they say. It seems that anytime a person just brings up Obama, wow they are going to get a real bashing! lol..But, then I wonder why? Why can't people talk about Obama, that they don't like him. OR the things they don't like about him. WITHOUT getting attacked?
Quoting krysstizzle:

I don't think so. I think the majority are generally liberal/left leaning, but certainly not 99%. And extreme left is much smaller than that. 

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

It has gotten better...

I think this group and its active members are primarily made up of extreme liberals, I'd say 99% are liberals, so those like me that are conservative on the big issues are pretty much outcasted and outnumbered.

krysstizzle
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd guess most people have friends across the spectrum. Shoot, one of my very best friends is a conservative catholic and I'm an atheist with anarchist tendencies ;) 

I don't look for that in this particular forum, though. There are other groups where I can talk with people are form friendships, if I like. This is a debate forum and debates get heated, particularly since it's online, where communication gets just that much more muddled. Even considering that, there are still people here who I've gotten into it with and can still manage to find commonality with and have a respectful diaglogue with. I suppose it just depends what you pay attention to and where you direct your focus. 

Quoting Ziva65:

I guess it's not really the opposite political perspective or religious/ social beliefs that bother me. I'm a conservative Republican, conservative Christian.

Some very good friends are just the opposite. We get along great, and have wonderful, respectful conversations. With one, we get together occasionally, and one of our favorite things to do is sit down on a Fri or Sat night have a glass of wine and a chat. We can chat for hours, and very kindly. While we totally disagree on almost everything, we still have great conversations and quasi debates. I'm the first she calls in an emergency, and she is my kids' emergency contact. I love her as a person, it doesn't matter that we are polar opposites on most things.

Given that- I don't see that level of respect or kindness, here whatsoever. It makes me think it's maturity- not necessarily age, but maturity.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

It has gotten better...

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. I don't attack people for being a Liberal or like Obama (at least I think I don't) & if I do I know it's wrong to do that. I guess, sometimes we can get caught up with it all. It all depends on what's going on within a thread. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone attack someone just for liking Obama. By that I mean, calling them horrible names, etc. etc. So, I guess you can say it all depends on how a person 'defines' attacking. For me, when you attack a person's intelligence (spelling etc.), calling them a racist just because you don't like Obama, the list goes on & on, this is just a few for which is attacking that person personally. Instead, just attack their beliefs, or who they side with most a Conservative for example. Attack Reps. if you want. But, many people in this group doesn't do that. They just come in & attack people personally.
Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

It has gotten better...

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM
It is fun debating! there are other such groups though :) Hubby and I will sit for hours and talk about politics, religion, etc. He's much more well versedn than I am, and I'm more conservative. Perhaps we should "flag" certain responses. This group has a great title and draw... not so sure about some of the comments though. Perhaps people don't know how to respond properly, or they just don't care. IDK. No- don't make it worth your time either. I've been on here for years, and limit my time. I've even gone back to school over the last few years and completed advanced post grad certificates- far better use of my mind and time. I come here to debrief a bit, and for entertainment. But for real intelligent thought, or anything positive and constructive, this is certainly not the group. Not saying it can't be, but it is at times out of control. I've read your responses, you don't say too much... :)
Quoting Naturewoman4:

Lol. Yeah, I probably say too much at times. But, still there's more that I would like to say, but I don't. You are right though, it shouldn't be worth my time lol. My husband tells me this all the time. But, he doesn't like to discuss issues that are going on in this Country. You're right too in saying that many people here in this group, don't know how to respond maturely or respectfully. Too bad because it's actually fun debating, but only if it's done respectfully.
Quoting Ziva65:

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM
My daughter is a Liberal. When the elections were going on last yr., I had to more or less just not discuss it. She & I are pretty much passionate about our beliefs. I always wanted her to be her own person, with her own opinions & beliefs. So, we just basically don't get into it. Here on CM it doesn't matter, we can all just let it all out. But, still people should just debate an issue, without the 'personal' attack. If one likes Obama, just tell everyone why you like him. What has he done as President,that has you liking him. Things like that. Then, the other person can just say why they don't like him. Everyone has the right to say those reasons, without the attacks on that person personally. It should though work both ways.
Quoting krysstizzle:

I'd guess most people have friends across the spectrum. Shoot, one of my very best friends is a conservative catholic and I'm an atheist with anarchist tendencies ;) 

I don't look for that in this particular forum, though. There are other groups where I can talk with people are form friendships, if I like. This is a debate forum and debates get heated, particularly since it's online, where communication gets just that much more muddled. Even considering that, there are still people here who I've gotten into it with and can still manage to find commonality with and have a respectful diaglogue with. I suppose it just depends what you pay attention to and where you direct your focus. 

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

It has gotten better...

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I see a difference between heated and respectful. I think they can be both. It's the ones that aren't when I don't waste my time.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

It has gotten better...

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to be in a clique!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN