Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Questions you always wanted to ask a person of another race but you didn't because you did not want to seem racist or something....

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 259 Replies

Are there things you wanted to ask people of another race, or maybe people of  a different sexual orientation, or people different in other ways?

Let's ask them here with the acknowledgment that we are not trying to be racist, homophobic, or anything else, we just genuinely are curious.

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I would like to know why some gay men speak with a lisp.  I realize there aren't any gay men here but if anyone knows, please answer. :)

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I would like to know why some black people say "aks or ax" instead of "ask."  Also, do they write it out spelled aks or ax also, as it sounds in their head, or do they write it out spelled correctly but they just pronounce it as aks?

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I say "ask". To be honest, I never heard anyone say "ax" when asking something. :)

Quoting futureshock:

I would like to know why some black people say "aks or ax" instead of "ask."  Also, do they write it out spelled aks or ax also, as it sounds in their head, or do they write it out spelled correctly but they just pronounce it as aks?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I say "ask". To be honest, I never heard anyone say "ax" when asking something. :)

Quoting futureshock:

Really?  Never?  Wow.  I hear it a lot.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't see color, I see a human.  This stuff shouldn't even need to be in question. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:07 PM
7 moms liked this

Quoting futureshock:

That's just poor grammar.  Has nothing to do with their skin color.   Period. 

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:07 PM
2 moms liked this
That could be nothing more than regional dialect. The same way you often here "ya'll" in the South.
Quoting futureshock:

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Quoting futureshock:

Really?  Never?  Wow.  I hear it a lot.

KristenFowles
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I have no problem asking what I want to know..  If I wanted to know something, I asked. 

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

KristenFowles
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM
6 moms liked this

This saying always bugged me..

I completely get what you mean.. and this isn't an attack on you at all..

But, of course we SEE color, unless we're color blind..  Color just doesn't determine what we think of a person... 

There's my "saying" rant for the night.. haha

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I don't see color, I see a human.  This stuff shouldn't even need to be in question. 

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't really think of much.  I guess I don't think people can answer for everyone in whatever group they are in.  In my experience there's no real way to generalize.

I suppose some black people say "axe" instead of "ask" because that is the way people around them talk.  I don't hear it all that often, in my circle.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)