Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Questions you always wanted to ask a person of another race but you didn't because you did not want to seem racist or something....

Posted by   + Show Post

Are there things you wanted to ask people of another race, or maybe people of  a different sexual orientation, or people different in other ways?

Let's ask them here with the acknowledgment that we are not trying to be racist, homophobic, or anything else, we just genuinely are curious.

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Replies (251-259):
Tag3.0
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Lice are attracted to darker hair according to the literature I've read, but will take a meal from anyone.  I'm married to an Asian and his kids came to our house several times with lice.  There was an outbreak in school, and we just couldn't get them under control.  When they left the school they were in, they didn't have lice anymore.

Quoting ReginaStar:

That is very untrue. Anyone of any race can get lice. Asians get lice just as quick as we do. My mixed daughter has had lice before. The only reason black ppl get it less than white is b/c of their hair products. That's it. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

I read that it has to do with the shape of the hair shaft.  The lice we have in the US has developed specifically for white hair.  Usually Asians don't get it, either.  Although it's not impossible, it's just less likely.  I suppose if you have product in your hair, too, that would be a good protection.

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I have heard that too and I have no idea if its true or not. I've never had it.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

is it true that black folks can't get head lice?

They dont like oils, which is the product most afircan americans need to keep their hair healthy

Whitepeople dont put oil on their scalps, neither do asians which is why african americans are less likely than most races to get lice.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I hate giving head. Starbucks is over priced. Sienfeld was a funny show. No interest in NASCAR or Politics.

Quoting Tag3.0:

Why do white women love head?

Do asian women really have tighter vaginas?

Do black women really not give head?

Why do white folks like starbucks so much?

As well as Sienfeld?

Nascar?

Geogre Bush?

Deocrats and Republicans?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

lovejonez
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Why white people say ” hey where yous going? I thougbt the word was you all not you
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Kinda OT but I remember standing in line to get checked for head lice in elementary school. I work box braids and the school nurse never really looked in my head. She would just send me on my way!

Quoting Tag3.0:

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Lice are attracted to darker hair according to the literature I've read, but will take a meal from anyone.  I'm married to an Asian and his kids came to our house several times with lice.  There was an outbreak in school, and we just couldn't get them under control.  When they left the school they were in, they didn't have lice anymore.

Quoting ReginaStar:

That is very untrue. Anyone of any race can get lice. Asians get lice just as quick as we do. My mixed daughter has had lice before. The only reason black ppl get it less than white is b/c of their hair products. That's it. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

I read that it has to do with the shape of the hair shaft.  The lice we have in the US has developed specifically for white hair.  Usually Asians don't get it, either.  Although it's not impossible, it's just less likely.  I suppose if you have product in your hair, too, that would be a good protection.

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Quoting romanceparty4u:

They dont like oils, which is the product most afircan americans need to keep their hair healthy

Whitepeople dont put oil on their scalps, neither do asians which is why african americans are less likely than most races to get lice.

lovejonez
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Black people dont get lice. I dont know of any black people getting lice. Nevet Ever
ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Quoting Tag3.0:

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Quoting romanceparty4u:

Exactly. That's also why white ppl who don't wash their hair are less likely to get it. Our hair naturally gets full of oil. We wash it out. Lice slide off the hair shaft when it's full of oil.

Jaliyah  My video here

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Skin cancer most certainly happens to mixed and black ppl. Melanin gives you more protection from the sun so sure the more of it you have the less likely to burn or get skin cancer. You can get skin cancer even if you don't burn. 

I have mixed children. Black & White. One of them my daughter really light but still tanned complected. She burns. Especially early on in the summer before her skin has had time to create more melanin from being in the sun. I use sun block on all my kids. 

Quoting Stephanie329:

Oh, I see. Are blacks and mixed more protected naturally from skin cancer? I remember learning that it does happen, just not on the scale of their fair skinned counterparts.

Quoting Bonneata:

Well I am mixed and yes I enjoy tanning on occasion but usually it's just a by product of hanging around my yard. 

Quoting Stephanie329:

Black people go tanning? I've heard one or two blacks making fun of whites for tanning (it IS pretty stupid). Lol.

Quoting Bonneata:

If they live in a cold northern climate with long cold winters they may visit a tanning booth for mental health reasons. The lights in the tanning booth are similar to therapeutic lamps recommended mental health care providers. 

Quoting kellysparkles:

I want to know why black people go tanning.

Jaliyah  My video here

babyblue415
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

i wanna know why black people speak ebonics? 

Fairegirl33
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM

It doesn't make a difference the color or creed... but bottom line is people ARE different.  Many many times we are from different places, are raised differently, eat different foods, speak differently.... I know that I embrace my heritage at the same time I am proud to be part of the big melting pot that is America.

I personally don't see anything wrong with asking people these questions.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting KristenFowles:

This saying always bugged me..

I completely get what you mean.. and this isn't an attack on you at all..

But, of course we SEE color, unless we're color blind..  Color just doesn't determine what we think of a person... 

There's my "saying" rant for the night.. haha

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I don't see color, I see a human.  This stuff shouldn't even need to be in question. 

But what difference does it make if one person has more skin pigment than another.  So what---my husband is Mexican----my kids are even darker than he is, I'm as white as paper...it just makes no difference to me. 

Why should anyone be set apart? 

I know what you're saying...I know we SEE the skin color of the person, but it doesn't matter in any way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)