Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If they keep this up, it's going to cause "retribution" attacks.....

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM
  • 36 Replies

I understand that it's hard to believe their precious little babies killed three people and wounded nearly 200 others, but the parents of these suspects really need to tone it down - and perhaps the media needs to stop giving them a way to present their conspiracy theories so readily. This has the ability to make some other unstable nut decide to go on a revenge spree, just like what happened when Timothy McVeigh decided to protest the Waco incident by blowing up the federal building in Oklahoma. 

By Jeff Black, Staff Writer, NBC News

The parents of two brothers police say planted bomb-filled backpacks in crowds watching the Boston Marathon and later engaged in a stunning firefight with police say their sons are being framed for the deadly blasts.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, died in the shootout with police Thursday. His younger brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was captured by police Friday night after an intense manhunt that locked down Boston for nearly a day.

"You could kill me but I would never believe they had anything to do with this," the father, Anzor Tsarnaev, said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Dagestan's provincial capital, Makhachkala. "This is nonsense. It doesn't add up."

Law enforcement sources told NBC News that the suspects have family roots in Chechnya, a predominantly Muslim Russian republic that has fought a war for independence and is tied to vicious terrorist attacks.

The family -- the parents, two sons and two daughters -- fled Russia about 10 years ago. The family, but not the older brother, moved to the United States on April 12, 2002, and applied for asylum, according to travel documents obtained by NBCNewYork.com. The older brother joined them a year later.

The family was granted legal permanent residence on March 2, 2007, and the younger brother became a naturalized U.S. citizen on Sept. 11, 2012.

Dzhokhar is described as an A student, a well-adjusted "cool kid" who wrestled on the high school team, hung out with friends and had his eyes on a medical career. He attended the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.

The older brother reportedly had trouble identifying with his adopted country. He was described by a former coach as a talented amateur boxer who dreamed of making the U.S. Olympic team. He was married to Katherine Russell, who works at a social service agency for children, and father of a young girl, reportedly about 3.

"Our daughter has lost her husband today, the father of her child,' said Judith Russell, her mother.

"We cannot begin to comprehend how this horrible tragedy occurred. In the aftermath of the Patriot's Day horror, we know that we never really knew Tamerlane Tsarnaev."

But one of the sisters, who lives in West New York, N.J., said Tamerlan was a "great person, a kind and loving man," according to NBCNewYork.com. It was unclear where the other sister is.

The father was an attorney in Russia but in the United States worked as an auto mechanic.

Both of the parents, according to Russian media, live in Makhachkala, the capital of the republic of Dagestan, which borders Chechnya.

"I came back to my motherland to die," said the father. "I had a hematoma in my brain and I was convinced it was the end. But I somehow pulled out of it, practically came back from the dead, as it were, here."

The parents maintained their sons can't be have done such deadly acts of terrorism.

"Somebody clearly framed them. I don't know who exactly framed them, but they did. They framed them. And they were so cowardly that they shot the boy dead," Anzor Tsarnaev told Reuters.

"It's impossible, impossible for both of them to do such things," Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, the mother, said, according to a "Russian Today" interview that was replayed on CNN. "I'm really, really, really sure this is a setup. I would know."

The two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings arrived in Cambridge from Russia more than 10 years ago. Their father, reached by phone Friday, insisted, "I would never believe they had anything to do with this." NBC's Ann Curry reports. 

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
epoh
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:05 AM
4 moms liked this
Paranoia.

Meaning you.

They're grieving. They're in denial. It's understandable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I wonder how many people can find Chechnya on a map.

Still, for years, Russia has been asking for help in the UN in regards to Chechnya's terrorists. I wonder if Russia I'd going to be listen to now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

It makes me wonder if Russia is the country which requested the US check into the older brother two years ago for possible terrorist ties. 

My DH caught yesterday that Putin actually denounced the suspects as Chechenians long before it was ever officially announced here that they were from that area. We both found it a little odd. He seemed to already know long before anyone else did. 

Quoting Donna6503:

Still, for years, Russia has been asking for help in the UN in regards to Chechnya's terrorists. I wonder if Russia I'd going to be listen to now

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I think the parents' reaction is normal.  We'll see what happens as the story unfolds over the next months.      

The kind of people who plan "retribution" attacks will always have some kind of rationale to glom onto.  It is impossible not to offend someone who is determined to be provoked.   

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Loudly shouting about police framing their sons and killing one in cold blood is the kind of thing that will stir up the other radicals. I'm not being paranoid, I'm learning from past experience. 

Quoting epoh:

Paranoia.

Meaning you.

They're grieving. They're in denial. It's understandable.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I agree with you.

Quoting momtoscott:

I think the parents' reaction is normal.  We'll see what happens as the story unfolds over the next months.      

The kind of people who plan "retribution" attacks will always have some kind of rationale to glom onto.  It is impossible not to offend someone who is determined to be provoked.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

They have a right to be convinced by a trial or full investigation and formal guilty plea by the surviving son.  In fact, we must still look forward to the full facts coming out of a thorough investigation.  Why did they do it?  Did they work alone?

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM

When someone says you'd have to kill them before they'd believe their sons did this, I don't think any amount of evidence brought to trial will change their minds. KWIM?

Quoting Meadowchik:

They have a right to be convinced by a trial or full investigation and formal guilty plea by the surviving son.  In fact, we must still look forward to the full facts coming out of a thorough investigation.  Why did they do it?  Did they work alone?

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

As a parent, I can understand the guy having trouble believing his kids were involved in this. But they did have guns and explosives when they were being chased by the cops in the stolen suv.  If the boys were innocent, then they wouldn't have stolen the suv or shot at the cops.

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I think you're correct.

I get the feeling ( and it is just a feeling ) that the more infomation we find out about this case; the more we'll realize that we know so little about the "real" story about this case.

On a side note, I do feel this will be a case study on how a "Comand and Control" will be structured in the future between the State and local police, FBI, and Foreign agencies will operate in the future. I believe the errors made in C&C and jurisdiction structures is the reason why the media had made so many errors the past few days in regards to case.

Quoting cjsbmom:

It makes me wonder if Russia is the country which requested the US check into the older brother two years ago for possible terrorist ties. 

My DH caught yesterday that Putin actually denounced the suspects as Chechenians long before it was ever officially announced here that they were from that area. We both found it a little odd. He seemed to already know long before anyone else did. 

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured