Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My husband got punched in the face at work.

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 203 Replies

My husband was at our deli, which is inside another, bigger store.  He and the other store owners were watching coverage of the arrest of the Boston bomber yesterday.  I should say that he and the other store owners are obviously Muslim, they have items around the store that indicate that and often play Quar'an MP3s and such, so everyone in the neighborhood is aware of it.

Yesterday a man came in the store and started to ask my husband what he was watching.  My husband replied politely and talked about the news.  The guy started to say "But why are you SAD?  Why are YOU SAD?" in a confrontational way, yelling in his face.

After a minute of this my husband tried to hustle him out of the store, leading him by the arm out the door.  While my hubs was trying to get the door open and push him out the guy roundhoused him in the side of his face, and then ran away.

For those who say that Muslims don't suffer bigotry in this country, what do you think about that?  And I know my area is more accepting and used to seeing Muslims and Arabs, since we have a large-ish population around here.  I shudder to think what happens to people who live in less accepting areas.

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BoysManDog
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM
5 moms liked this
I say that is too bad. I also say the facts are that Jews suffer the most hate crimes yearly in this country. See article yesterday in NY Daily news about near riot on subway by people tormenting man wearing yarmulke.

Sadly, all groups are victims of some bigotry, even white Christians, but I think the problem is that CAIR and other groups want people to believe that Muslims suffer more. They do not. Jews have had always had that "honor."
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I'm sorry your husband experienced that. I grew up in S.Florida around many different ethnicities and religion with no real introduction to racism/bigotry. Then I moved to the midwest...my eyes were alarmingly thrown wide open. Nearly everyday someone surprises me with something they say and not in a good way. I can believe what happened to your husband and I'm sorry.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I am so sorry that happened to your hubs Staci. Misdirected hate is a terrible thing. It sure does not reflect well on the majority and then we wonder why minorities feel marginalized:(

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM
17 moms liked this

Yeah, it's not a competition though, is it?

CAIR works towards acceptance and understanding of Islam in this country, that is what the organization does.  Of course they would be focused on Muslims.  I don't understand why you see it as a "who has it worse" game.  

Quoting BoysManDog:

I say that is too bad. I also say the facts are that Jews suffer the most hate crimes yearly in this country. See article yesterday in NY Daily news about near riot on subway by people tormenting man wearing yarmulke.

Sadly, all groups are victims of some bigotry, even white Christians, but I think the problem is that CAIR and other groups want people to believe that Muslims suffer more. They do not. Jews have had always had that "honor."

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting BoysManDog:

Source.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I felt the same way when I first moved to Long Island, NY and I relocated there from the South. I was shocked at the open racism in NY.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I'm sorry your husband experienced that. I grew up in S.Florida around many different ethnicities and religion with no real introduction to racism/bigotry. Then I moved to the midwest...my eyes were alarmingly thrown wide open. Nearly everyday someone surprises me with something they say and not in a good way. I can believe what happened to your husband and I'm sorry.

Neon Washable Paint

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

That's horrible.  I'm so sorry Stacy.  

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I am in the midwest and have never seen something this bad directed at someone I know.  Usually, if anything, I will hear slurs or ignorant comments, but as a rule the Muslim community is large here and everyone knows at least a couple of Muslims.  Exposure seems to solve a lot of problems.  It's people who don't actually know any Muslims who seem to talk all the shit.  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM
11 moms liked this

so your answer to someone being attacked is 'you don't have it as bad as....'?  

SMH

Quoting BoysManDog:

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I am so sorry:(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN