Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Go Green: Reduce, Reuse & Recycle! ...and WIN Prizes!

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM
  • 248 Replies
8 moms liked this

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! It's a catchy reminder to take care of the Earth.

Here are some easy ways you can live this motto every day:

• Switch to Cloth. Save money and the environment by ditching paper towels, napkins and disposable diapers and switching to cloth.
  • Save Electricity. Save energy and reduce your power bill by turning off lights & electronics you aren't using and unplugging chargers when items are charged.
  • Reuse Foil, Plastic & Paper. Reuse plastic storage bags that only contained dry goods instead of using fresh bags every time. Rinse off aluminum foil to use again and save untorn wrapping paper and gift bags for future gifts.
  • Upcycle. Reuse and repurpose items - prevent wasting potentially useful materials by making use of existing ones.
  • Recycle. Know your community's recycling rules and recycling center locations. Sort trash accordingly and make sure to wash plastic and glass containers before tossing them into recycling bins to help your community's recycling program run more smoothly.
  • Donate.  One Mom's trash is another Mom's treasure!  Donate items that someone else could use to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, freecycle, a local shelter or any other place that takes donations.

Reply to this post
and let us know if you do any of these things. 
Share any other ideas that you have to Reduce, Reuse & Recycle.

Then, click here to Green Your Clean! >>

recycling sweetpeaClick here to start your Earth Day Journey from the beginning:
Join our Earth Day Journey - Win a $50 Gift Card and lots of other Prizes, too!

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleHazey
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I switched to cloth a long time ago.

goddess99
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

We donate alot, we're also going to do a local "Trash to Treasure" day coming up.

momofsixangels
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I do all of these.I use plastic bags for cleaning out the litter boxes.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM
4 moms liked this

I upcycle as much as possible. It is amazing what you can do if you can be creative just a little.

Easter Baskets

muda1954
Spending my summer in CT see you awesome ladies in Sept
Yesterday at 7:59 PM
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I only use cloth I reuse my foil if it isn't dirty,,I also donate to good will and salvation army I consign my no longer wanted good clothes and make money to buy something else and it's fun,,,,I also reuse plastic baggies,,I wash them with hot soapy water and hang them over a glass so they dry inside and out,,,I bought a lot of kitchen towels at the goodwill some were like new so I use them for the kitchen some were good enough for cleaning,,I make my own window cleaner and save newspapers to use when I clean my windows they do an awesome job,,,,I have also saved some lager juice bottles and I fill them with water to use for watering my plants...I also have energy efficient bulbs in all my lamps!..I do not use night lights as I find it a waist of energy nor do I use plug in fresheners......after i have eaten oranges and use lemons I boil them when I feel the need to make the house smell good,,,I also put some that might go bad before I can get to them out for the birds and squirrels,,,anything that doesn't need to be plugged in stays unplugged until ready for use!

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:13 AM
Quoting Cafe Robin:

The biggest thing you can do is choose to live near where you shop and work.

Insulate your house.

And don't fly off on vacation to far away places.

Flaca43
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM

We recycle and I turn off all the lights, etc. when leaving the room. We do need to use cloth instead of all the napkins though.

jsbuck
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I use cloth instead of paper, I recycle anything I can, I donate everything or post it on Freecycle.  I try to use glass containers instead of plastic baggies.  We use stainless steel water bottles instead of buying plastic water bottles.  I open blinds to brighten a room instead of using the light.  Open windows on nice days.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Why should we not fly off to a far away vacation exactly? Lol 

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Cafe Robin:

The biggest thing you can do is choose to live near where you shop and work.

Insulate your house.

And don't fly off on vacation to far away places.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah no. I will stick with my paper towels and paper napkins. Lol I have enough laundry to do as it is with 3 girls. Plus, I think using cloth wastes more water and electricity. In order to keep your cloth rags clean and bacteria free, you'd have to wash and get new clothes everytime you used one. Cloth rags in the kitchen creep me out. Yuck. 

Quoting Flaca43:

We recycle and I turn off all the lights, etc. when leaving the room. We do need to use cloth instead of all the napkins though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)