Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Go Green: Reduce, Reuse & Recycle! ...and WIN Prizes!

Posted by   + Show Post

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! It's a catchy reminder to take care of the Earth.

Here are some easy ways you can live this motto every day:

• Switch to Cloth. Save money and the environment by ditching paper towels, napkins and disposable diapers and switching to cloth.
  • Save Electricity. Save energy and reduce your power bill by turning off lights & electronics you aren't using and unplugging chargers when items are charged.
  • Reuse Foil, Plastic & Paper. Reuse plastic storage bags that only contained dry goods instead of using fresh bags every time. Rinse off aluminum foil to use again and save untorn wrapping paper and gift bags for future gifts.
  • Upcycle. Reuse and repurpose items - prevent wasting potentially useful materials by making use of existing ones.
  • Recycle. Know your community's recycling rules and recycling center locations. Sort trash accordingly and make sure to wash plastic and glass containers before tossing them into recycling bins to help your community's recycling program run more smoothly.
  • Donate.  One Mom's trash is another Mom's treasure!  Donate items that someone else could use to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, freecycle, a local shelter or any other place that takes donations.

Reply to this post
and let us know if you do any of these things. 
Share any other ideas that you have to Reduce, Reuse & Recycle.

Then, click here to Green Your Clean! >>

recycling sweetpeaClick here to start your Earth Day Journey from the beginning:
Join our Earth Day Journey - Win a $50 Gift Card and lots of other Prizes, too!

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM
We do a lot. We don't use paper towels nor do we use plastic bags. I also have reusable bags for groceries and mesh bags for produce and most bulk items, like nuts. Our market will let you bring in glass jars (or any type of container)and use them for their bulk stuff, like flour and salt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting DestinyHLewis:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting Cafe Robin:

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! It's a catchy reminder to take care of the Earth.

The biggest thing you can do is choose to live near where you shop and work.

Insulate your house.

And don't fly off on vacation to far away places.

Why should we not fly off to a far away vacation exactly? Lol

Environmental impact of aviation

aviation is responsible for around 3.5% of anthropogenic climate change

aviation’s contribution could grow to 5% of the total contribution by 2050 if action is not taken to tackle these emissions, though the highest scenario is 15%

The problem is not so much the CO2 they give off, as the other stuff.   Planes flying at high altitude dumps the stuff above the clouds where it doesn't get washed out by rain, and so it sticks around for much longer than normal.

mamadrama15
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I use cloths to wipe and clean up. I recycle my cans, glass, and plastic containers. I donate pretty much every few months. (which reminds me I am due to start going through our clothes again) I am referred to as the Light Nazi lol which is a mean way of saying I save on electricity. 

Justamom96
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM

we switched to cloth, we try (it's a little difficult with a teenager) to save electricity,  we recycle, and we donate anything that still has some life in it.

jas_momof2
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I reuse and upcycle all the time...  It's quite a fun challenge...

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I do all of these things!  My 8-yr old daughter is especially good at upcycling.  She periodically goes through the recycling and builds "monuments" or buildings out of various things.  She made a piggy bank out of a particularly ornate, octagonal box of wine lol!  She also loves to donate her old stuff :)

Mrs.Brugger
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM

i reuse foil, gift bags and tissue paper, we donate old clothes, I try to remember to turn off lights when I leave a room, turn the heat down when we leave the house, and we recycle!

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM

i am a recycling fanatic, almost OCD about it. I also put all vegetable scraps in a compost bin to create good, healthy soil for my gardens.

As we renovate our 1980's house, I'm going to be donating things like our old kitchen sink to the Habitat for Humanity store. The sink is in great shape; I just don't like it, and hate the thought of a perfectly good sink filling up a landfill.

funmommy123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I don't buy napkina as much anymore. I also make sure all lights are off & chargers unplugged when it's not being used. We recycle cans, but should recycle other things too.
AudlyLuvly
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I use facebook to sell/give away our unneeded items, use cloth instead of most paper products (still use tp), and make as much from home as possible to reduce packaging and shipping.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)