Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Go Green: Reduce, Reuse & Recycle! ...and WIN Prizes!

Posted by   + Show Post

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! It's a catchy reminder to take care of the Earth.

Here are some easy ways you can live this motto every day:

• Switch to Cloth. Save money and the environment by ditching paper towels, napkins and disposable diapers and switching to cloth.
  • Save Electricity. Save energy and reduce your power bill by turning off lights & electronics you aren't using and unplugging chargers when items are charged.
  • Reuse Foil, Plastic & Paper. Reuse plastic storage bags that only contained dry goods instead of using fresh bags every time. Rinse off aluminum foil to use again and save untorn wrapping paper and gift bags for future gifts.
  • Upcycle. Reuse and repurpose items - prevent wasting potentially useful materials by making use of existing ones.
  • Recycle. Know your community's recycling rules and recycling center locations. Sort trash accordingly and make sure to wash plastic and glass containers before tossing them into recycling bins to help your community's recycling program run more smoothly.
  • Donate.  One Mom's trash is another Mom's treasure!  Donate items that someone else could use to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, freecycle, a local shelter or any other place that takes donations.

Reply to this post
and let us know if you do any of these things. 
Share any other ideas that you have to Reduce, Reuse & Recycle.

Then, click here to Green Your Clean! >>

recycling sweetpeaClick here to start your Earth Day Journey from the beginning:
Join our Earth Day Journey - Win a $50 Gift Card and lots of other Prizes, too!

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I've sewed for years so now I made a habit of using all the scraps I've saved to make cloth grocery bags...many CM friend has gotten a few of those from me! I've even sent them to Sweden! 

momsince2003
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I donate items, recycle, try and use less electricity and water, compost, use chemical free cleaning products, and try to use less paper towel and use cloth instead

chicken13
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I do a little bit of all those things.  I'm constantly trying to be just a little greener.  It helps the wallet too.

ebs1022
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Great green tips. We do most of those already.  there is a new recycling plant in our city so we can now recycle many more things. It's amazing that our trash bin is hardly full and our recycle bin is filled to the brim.

BellaByrdie
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Replace your plastic grocery bags with reusable fabric bags.  

aehutmacher
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

We use used K-Cups to plant seedlings in before going outdoors

Brieshon
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM
We did/do mostly cloth, and we buy compostable items (which is great for our compost anyway!) when needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Brieshon
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM
We could do better about turning off/unplugging items when not in use.
jbirdsladie27
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Yes!! Recycle, recycle, recycle!!!
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

For every "solution" there is a downside. Cloth diapers, for example, use water and energy for cleaning purposes.

IMO, using less of everything and reusing what you have is the best first step.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)