Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Go Green: Reduce, Reuse & Recycle! ...and WIN Prizes!

Posted by   + Show Post

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! It's a catchy reminder to take care of the Earth.

Here are some easy ways you can live this motto every day:

• Switch to Cloth. Save money and the environment by ditching paper towels, napkins and disposable diapers and switching to cloth.
  • Save Electricity. Save energy and reduce your power bill by turning off lights & electronics you aren't using and unplugging chargers when items are charged.
  • Reuse Foil, Plastic & Paper. Reuse plastic storage bags that only contained dry goods instead of using fresh bags every time. Rinse off aluminum foil to use again and save untorn wrapping paper and gift bags for future gifts.
  • Upcycle. Reuse and repurpose items - prevent wasting potentially useful materials by making use of existing ones.
  • Recycle. Know your community's recycling rules and recycling center locations. Sort trash accordingly and make sure to wash plastic and glass containers before tossing them into recycling bins to help your community's recycling program run more smoothly.
  • Donate.  One Mom's trash is another Mom's treasure!  Donate items that someone else could use to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, freecycle, a local shelter or any other place that takes donations.

Reply to this post
and let us know if you do any of these things. 
Share any other ideas that you have to Reduce, Reuse & Recycle.

Then, click here to Green Your Clean! >>

recycling sweetpeaClick here to start your Earth Day Journey from the beginning:
Join our Earth Day Journey - Win a $50 Gift Card and lots of other Prizes, too!

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (41-50):
Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I have done almost all of these things for years.

laura0107
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I have taught my kids how to recycle

flcowgrl23
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM
I use cloth diapers, recycle water for the plants, recycle paper, plastic and metal. We unplug things we aren't using, turn lights off and use natural light as much as possible. We also donate and shop used.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I do a lot of stuff because it is cheaper.   Composting makes sense since I do my catering cooking in the kitchen we had built for the business is on our property and I have an over 1 acre garden.

It's easier to use glass storage containers than multiple butter tubs and buying ziploc bags.  I love using natural light because I think it is prettier.

But I am not giving up vacations.   I am not giving up manicure/pedicures/waxes/highlights.

I am using shampoo and conditioner and body wash.  I keep my house cold and I drive whenever I need to.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Not one that I am going to win.

Quoting talia-mom:

I love the I am more green than you competitions.

Juniper53098
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I cloth diapered, when I had kids in diapers.  I use mama cloth.  I reuse plastic bags and gift bags.  We recycle almost everything in my community.  LOVE IT.  We made 2 donations a year to either St. Vincent DePaul or Bethesda.

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I can't seem to stick with the cloth thing love my paper towels but the other stuff I'm all for
mommiejennie
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM

We donate a lot. We have also been cutting back on a lot of electricity usage.

aidensmomma508
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I reuse take out containers

cnlsmommy
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I switched to cloth diapers with this dd, so I'd say that's a win!
k1ara
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM

We've been doing most of those things for a while now.  However we still use paper towels, napkins, and disposable diapers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)