Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I see a lot of posts and comments from young girls 18-25 on here that say they are married.

Posted by   + Show Post
It must be an American thing because for the most part Canadians don't marry really young. Why do think that is? Religious up bringing? Trying to escape home life? Trend? I'm curious...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:26 AM
I have no idea. I got married at 20, just a week before my 21st birthday. I have never been very religious and was never brought up to get married. We got married a little earlier than we were expecting to(early by a year), only because my husband wanted to be sure me and our baby would have medical benefits.
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM
I do not think 26 is that different than 29, which I believe we're the ages listed.

Why do you think that age difference is "significant" ?

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting wickedfiress:

The average ages for first marriages for Canadians and Americans is only different by 3 years. 

3 years?   That's a significantly large difference.

rayroe2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:52 AM
I for one don't wanna be old and dried up before I am married. I wanna enjoy my husbands young year's with him so I can remember it when were wrinkle and old lol
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:53 AM
I got married at 23. We started dating at 16, finished college and decided it was time. What were we waiting for? This was back in 1994.
mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this

There are a myriad of reasons people get married-regardless of age. 

For me, I got married when I was 20. I married my HS sweetheart and we had been together for 4 years by the time we got married. He was entering the USAF, which is why we went ahead and got married. We've been married for 17 years now and together for almost 22. It worked for us... my BIL and his wife got married at 18...they've been married for 16 years..my brother and his wife got married when they were 20 and 22..they've been married for 25 years in June. It is a personal choice. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Quoting wickedfiress:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting wickedfiress:

The average ages for first marriages for Canadians and Americans is only different by 3 years. 

3 years?   That's a significantly large difference.

I do not think 26 is that different than 29, which I believe we're the ages listed.

Why do you think that age difference is "significant" ?

Think, for a moment, of the age of first marriage not being 26, but being a normal distribution centered around a mean of 26.   It almost certainly isn't precisely a normal gaussian distribution, but that will work as a mental model for these purposes.  In fact, it looks more like this:

The bit of the graph I want you to look at is the fraction that get married under the age of 21.  Which for men in the usa, in 2011, was about 22%.  It would be higher for women, as they tend to marry earlier.

A three year delay in that would mean, instead, 22% getting married before the age of 24.  (Yes, I know, I'm simplyfying the statistics here, but it is close enough.)    I think that's significant, because that's a lot of canadians who won't be marrying before they get a chance to go to university and thereby mostly locking themselves out of the higher paying jobs.

Anyone got a breakdown on age of first marriage for people in the USA, by race and social class?

Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:16 AM
It isn't normal to marry in Denmark till 28. I know they don't recognize marriages under twent four if you are an immigrant.
GirlWithANikon
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I am not religious and married early because I felt like it. I would like to know if you have numbers to offer us though or just your opinion?

TigressLily
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I got married at 21. I don't see a problem in when you get married as long as you are mature enough to understand that marriage is supposed to be a life-long commitment, and if you're not 1000000000% sure that the person you're with is the one you want to spend the rest of your life with, and not run at the first disagreement but figure out a way around it or to fix it etc., then if you're 18 or 40, it doesn't matter when you get married, IMHO.

boshs1andonly
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM
I was 21 when I got married but I had already known my dh for 11 years and been together 4.5 years. If it had been anyone else I didn't see myself getting married until a little later. I thought that on average people were getting married later though, like mid twenties. I'm sure people get married for all sorts of reasons, some of which are wrong, stupid or naive but that's not exclusive to younger people.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN