Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I see a lot of posts and comments from young girls 18-25 on here that say they are married.

Posted by   + Show Post
It must be an American thing because for the most part Canadians don't marry really young. Why do think that is? Religious up bringing? Trying to escape home life? Trend? I'm curious...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:11 AM
Replies (21-30):
dawnnamarie
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
25 isn't exactly the picture if youth.... I'm 26 and getting married in 3 weeks. Df is 25.

We chose to get married at our ages because we've both started successful careers, bought a home, and are raising a family. we both come from great homes and neither is very religious
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I got married when I was 20. I got engaged to my husband when we were seniors in high school. It didn't have anything to do with upbringing, religion, or us trying to escape anything. We had been together since I was 14 and he was 15 and we knew we were right for each other. Fast forward to now I'll be 31 in a week and we are still happily married. We've been together almost 16 years, married for 10. 

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The age of marriage is actually increasing through time in the US. Tends to go along with women going to college and starting careers. But there is also seems to be a trend that has taken on of having babies -- married or not -- at really young ages. In my view, it makes things unnecessarily difficult, especially in this economy.

More and more women are having babies in their 40's as well. I find that interesting.

"The average age at marriage has risen in most industrial countries. Even countries with less development, or who have come lately to industrialization show a rise in the average age at marriage for women. These statistics may reflect a greater feminist stance in most countries, with more women working and completing college. As well they reflect a trend away from marriage in the US. Fully one-half of the US population is now unmarried."

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I got married young I was 18, almost 19, when I had my first child. I had my second when I was 20. We got married When DS was 2 years and a week old. I was exactly 2 months shy of 21. Frankly while we were planning to get married anyway we got married when we did because DH was adopting DS. We were young, dumb, and thought we were "grown". I have a lot of friends and family members, that were getting married and having babies around the same time, in a span of 2 years I probably went to 30 weddings not including mine. Dh and I, my cousin and her husband, and one set of friends are the only ones still married 14-11 years later. Frankly DH and I were lucky. We weren't mature, grown adults. We were dumb kids growing up and putting ourselves in situations we shouldn't have. We both have similar values as far as marriage and divorce and we were willing to put in the hard work that it took to overcome the obstacles of being young and dumb. We have been married for over 12 years now and we are still working at it and will never stop working at making sure our marriage stays intact.We chose to grow up together rather than apart it was a choice we were very aware of unlike so many of those friends and family that are now divorced.

We tell our kids to make better choices all the time. I would be happy if they were not in serious relationships until they are the age I am now.

Harleysmom213
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I was 20. we had been dating for 5 years before we got married and since he was in the military, that was how we were going to stay together.

proudmommy03457
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I am 23 and have been married for two yrs. I do see what you are saying I see so many younger people getting married just to say they're married and whose marriage doesn't last more then a few months before they are split up with bf and gf on the side. It's sad really that so few people take marriage as serious as it is (people of all ages really) but in mine and my husbands case we had to grow up really quickly at a young age so by the time we met we where mature enough to make the decision and know with out a doubt that this is what we want. We simply fell in love:-]
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I was barely 22 when I got married but waiting until I was 29 to have my first child. Everyone else was older getting married and having kids and I think that makes a big difference. 

x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM
I was married at 17
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Quoting Sunshine257:

It isn't normal to marry in Denmark till 28. I know they don't recognize marriages under twent four if you are an immigrant.

That is largely due to racisim more than anything else though.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I couldn't imagine having a child in my early 20's even though I was married at 22. I look back at those years and I was so immature compared to now. Also, my husband and I moved a lot in our 20's to help further his career. That would have been hard to do if we would have had a child. I hope my kids wait. I think it makes a big difference down the road. 

Quoting soonergirl980:

I got married young I was 18, almost 19, when I had my first child. I had my second when I was 20. We got married When DS was 2 years and a week old. I was exactly 2 months shy of 21. Frankly while we were planning to get married anyway we got married when we did because DH was adopting DS. We were young, dumb, and thought we were "grown". I have a lot of friends and family members, that were getting married and having babies around the same time, in a span of 2 years I probably went to 30 weddings not including mine. Dh and I, my cousin and her husband, and one set of friends are the only ones still married 14-11 years later. Frankly DH and I were lucky. We weren't mature, grown adults. We were dumb kids growing up and putting ourselves in situations we shouldn't have. We both have similar values as far as marriage and divorce and we were willing to put in the hard work that it took to overcome the obstacles of being young and dumb. We have been married for over 12 years now and we are still working at it and will never stop working at making sure our marriage stays intact.We chose to grow up together rather than apart it was a choice we were very aware of unlike so many of those friends and family that are now divorced.

We tell our kids to make better choices all the time. I would be happy if they were not in serious relationships until they are the age I am now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured