Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I see a lot of posts and comments from young girls 18-25 on here that say they are married.

Posted by   + Show Post
It must be an American thing because for the most part Canadians don't marry really young. Why do think that is? Religious up bringing? Trying to escape home life? Trend? I'm curious...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this
I can't speak for anyone else, but it was 12yrs ago (today, actually) that DH and I became engaged. I was 19, he was 20. We moved in together a few months later (and married in 2003). I didn't do it to "escape" anything. It wasn't religious (I'm Catholic but DH is an atheist), nor was it a "trend". It was simply just two people who loved each other and wanted to get married. Nothing more, nothing less.
emeraldangel20
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:58 AM

i'm 22 and married. we were in love. still am

Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Do they recognize marriages at twenty four if you are not an immigrant?

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting Sunshine257:

It isn't normal to marry in Denmark till 28. I know they don't recognize marriages under twent four if you are an immigrant.

That is largely due to racisim more than anything else though.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I got married at 19 and was married for 16 years before we divorced. I do find it to be a mistake to marry so young because one generally hasn't grown into who they will be until their 30s in most cases. By the time I divorced him, I was a totally different person than who I was when I started out. 

I think I got married young mostly because I wanted my own place and to do my own thing, so to speak. 

pinkfairy0206
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM
I was married at 18. (I'm 29 now)for me I wanted to wait till our original date we had set for. (It would've been 2 yrs later!)but when I found out we were expecting my husband wanted to do it before baby came:)he got his way. I have to say it was really sweet and well put together for planning it in 6 months! It had nothing to do with a "trend"cuz I don't follow others,home life cuz I had already been living on my own since 16 and definitely not religious!
LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
This is almost my story except dh was 21 and Protestant. And it's been 8 years married, 9 together

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

I can't speak for anyone else, but it was 12yrs ago (today, actually) that DH and I became engaged. I was 19, he was 20. We moved in together a few months later (and married in 2003). I didn't do it to "escape" anything. It wasn't religious (I'm Catholic but DH is an atheist), nor was it a "trend". It was simply just two people who loved each other and wanted to get married. Nothing more, nothing less.
MIA0223
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I got married at 19, I was just ready.
I met DH, and in our religion marriage is the only way, no dating and all that.
7 years on, no regrets!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mabuka
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I'm 24 and engaged...
and now slightly depressed over the fact that once I hit 26 I won't be considered young anymore! Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM

We moved a lot too. Dh is military so we still move a lot. We went through several deployments we had been married 1 year almost to the day. I sometimes am amazed we made it though. I've been called a hypocrite for it to. I married young but I am completely against marrying young and having babies young. Maybe I am a hypocrite, but I recognized we are the exception not the rule and we are VERY lucky to have made it this far. It was an effort the work not rainbows and sunshine and love will conquer all kind of thing.

Quoting smalltowngal:

I couldn't imagine having a child in my early 20's even though I was married at 22. I look back at those years and I was so immature compared to now. Also, my husband and I moved a lot in our 20's to help further his career. That would have been hard to do if we would have had a child. I hope my kids wait. I think it makes a big difference down the road. 

Quoting soonergirl980:

I got married young I was 18, almost 19, when I had my first child. I had my second when I was 20. We got married When DS was 2 years and a week old. I was exactly 2 months shy of 21. Frankly while we were planning to get married anyway we got married when we did because DH was adopting DS. We were young, dumb, and thought we were "grown". I have a lot of friends and family members, that were getting married and having babies around the same time, in a span of 2 years I probably went to 30 weddings not including mine. Dh and I, my cousin and her husband, and one set of friends are the only ones still married 14-11 years later. Frankly DH and I were lucky. We weren't mature, grown adults. We were dumb kids growing up and putting ourselves in situations we shouldn't have. We both have similar values as far as marriage and divorce and we were willing to put in the hard work that it took to overcome the obstacles of being young and dumb. We have been married for over 12 years now and we are still working at it and will never stop working at making sure our marriage stays intact.We chose to grow up together rather than apart it was a choice we were very aware of unlike so many of those friends and family that are now divorced.

We tell our kids to make better choices all the time. I would be happy if they were not in serious relationships until they are the age I am now.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I was married at 23 because i had been dating my husband for 7 years, finished college, had a professional job and was ready to move on with my life. IMO, that's the the order you do things in. I had a great homelife, am not particularly religious or trendy...it was just time to get married. Shit or get off the pot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured