Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I see a lot of posts and comments from young girls 18-25 on here that say they are married.

Posted by   + Show Post
It must be an American thing because for the most part Canadians don't marry really young. Why do think that is? Religious up bringing? Trying to escape home life? Trend? I'm curious...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:11 AM
Replies (41-50):
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Yes they do.

Quoting Sunshine257:

Do they recognize marriages at twenty four if you are not an immigrant?

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting Sunshine257:

It isn't normal to marry in Denmark till 28. I know they don't recognize marriages under twent four if you are an immigrant.

That is largely due to racisim more than anything else though.

Angelanscalf89
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Im not married yet but only because we havent had the money and we have to pay for it all ourselves. Im 23 df is 29 we got engaged right before my 21st birthday but weve been together for 5 1/2 years we have a kid together. we love each other and want to spend our lives together Ive also known him for almost 10 years now. He is my best friend my everything. For me it just happened young. Before I was with df I didnt believe in love or marriage as Id seen so many failed marriages in my lifetime but I fell in love and then I realized alot of people I knew married for the wrong reasons. My mom married her ex at 21 because her mom didnt like him and she was rebelious and already had a kid with him. My dad married his ex cause they already had 2 kids and they really did love each other but the death of their 4th child destroyed their marriage. But then I saw people like my grandparents who were married for 40 years when my grandma died.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girlie2
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I married days before turning 21 because hubby was in military it was the only way we could be together still married 8 yrs later
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I was 24, my husband was 25 when we got married.   I was in grad school and he was in law school. Everyone in social circle was doing the same thing.

I don't see it to be a big deal.

firemom5906
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I got married right after I turned 20. My husband was 22. We did it cause we wanted too. We had been together a little over a year and just knew we wanted to grow old together. No other reason. We didn't have our first till almost 3 years later. We just knew it was right. Been together almost 11 years and in December we will have been married 10.
AF_Petite
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Not sure. I'm 24 and I'm engaged. I have lots of Canadian friends and friends for other countries that got married younger than I did. So I don't know if it's an American thing. But I think a religious upbringing plays a lot on that. No matter what country they're from.
MissTyff
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Since when is 25 young to be married?

My first marriage was when I was 19...I do think I was too youg then, and it ended in a few sbort months, but everyone is different. 

Then I remarried at 21 and it has been wonderful.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I got married at 19 because I had met the man who I wanted to be my husband and saw no reason to put it off. I know. Shocking. ;) My wedding wasn't religiously motivated, I was pagan at the time and DH was agnostic. I got married for the same reason anyone else gets married: I liked it, so I put a ring on it.

Also, keep in mind that this is a website specifically for women with children. The stats regarding young marriages, or marriages in general, is going to be skewed as compared to the general population.

loverbug75
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM
I'm 37 and getting married after I turn 38 this December (in Mexico!!!). Of the 9 women coming to my wedding only two are married. All of my friends are staring down forty in the next few years. People can say that they were not influenced by their social circle but I'm sure it does play a role.
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I dunno. I know for dh and I its the norm in our religion. We were both 19 but had been together for 4yrs. We have been married almost 7yrs now and very happy :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured