Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I see a lot of posts and comments from young girls 18-25 on here that say they are married.

Posted by   + Show Post
It must be an American thing because for the most part Canadians don't marry really young. Why do think that is? Religious up bringing? Trying to escape home life? Trend? I'm curious...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:11 AM
Replies (81-89):
EmilysMom2010
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM
I got married at 27.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Huh.

I married at 24. No, I wasn't trying to escape a bad home life, it wasn't due to my religious upbringing, lol.

I met my husband. We decided we wanted to marry. Trend? People have been doing it for thousands of years...

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Of all the people I know irl, only one married before 25. She was 22. CM isn't a true sampling of the US marriage trends. The avg marrying age in the US is 28.5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Agro? LOL! No I'm not "agro"... You asked a question and I answered it. The End.

Quoting loverbug75:

Look you seem a little agro. All I was asking was why it happens more there than here since both countries (Canada and America) are socially very similar.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Hmmm...

Your words were: "It must be an American thing"

Quoting loverbug75:

I wasn't saying it was about being American. I was saying that it seems younger than Canada.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Also it is not an "American thing"... Women in America actually marry later in life than most other countries.

The average age in China is 22.

The Phillipines - 19.

Russia - 23.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I think it depends on the homelife and the level of education that people have.  

TrouserMouse
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I remember in college, when I was studying business, it was very evident that the US was more focused on independence than most countries.  In the US, to be considered successful, you have to get out on your own and get started on your own life as soon as possible.  Maybe that has an influence. 

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Ditto, except I was 23. It would've been sooner, but I drug my feet. Lol I was scared of the unknown. Almost 15 years later, and still good. :)

Quoting mattiehatter:

I was days from 22 when I married my Husband. There was no real rush. I just knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him as his wife.

Beebella
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM
I know a lot of women did it back in the day because it was expected. If you were dating someone you had to marry them. The husband was supposed to take over the role as the head of the household and the father figure that was supposed to take care of the woman. once you got married you had to have kids right away. Nowadays there are so many doors open for women to get an education and career and to explore life and travel. In my opinion, getting married young hinders those chances. I chose to get married in my late 20's and have a kid in my early 30's and I'm happy with my decision. But it's all a matter of choice.
Beebella
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM
None of my friends got married before 25 either. They got married in their late 20s or early 30s. They didn't have kids until their early 30s. I think it depends on the people you surround yourself with. It may also depend on where you live. Here in NYC it's a big urban area where there is more access to education and jobs. If you live in a smaller city or town, the women tend to marry younger and leave the financial responsibilities to the man. My friend had a baby at 21 and her parents were so embarrassed they hid it from friends and family. But in some places it's totally normal to have kids and be married young.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Of all the people I know irl, only one married before 25. She was 22. CM isn't a true sampling of the US marriage trends. The avg marrying age in the US is 28.5.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured