Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin-off: Do you believe evil exists? Do you think some people are just plain evil?

Seasidegirl
Not my circus, not my monkeys -Polish proverb
Tuesday at 8:06 PM
Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 126 Replies
3 moms liked this

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

The person you described sounds like she got that way because of how others treated her during her life. No one is born being evil and manipulative. Life experiences shape us into who we are and it's up to us to be strong enough to learn and grow from them or to give up and become what we hate most.

The only 'battle' there is, is the one in our own minds.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM
6 moms liked this
Not only does evil exist, Satan is alive and well and many people do battle with him daily.
Quoting Seasidegirl:

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Evil exists, it is not caused by a mythical being called satan it just is. Some people attract evil - I have seen evil, Bosnia in the 90's, The Congo, Somalia, etc.

SpiritedWitch
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes there is evil. How can you know good is without knowing what bad is. 

There has to be some kind balance.

Good/Evil
Light/Dark
Yin/Yang

I cannot understand these people who say that there is no such thing, 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting candlegal:

Not only does evil exist, Satan is alive and well and many people do battle with him daily.
Quoting Seasidegirl:

Funny... Satan doesn't exist in the Old Testament. Job is actually a rip-off of the more ancient Babylonian poem: THE RIGHTEOUS SUFFERER, which all bible believers consider myth, so doesn't that make Satan a myth as well?

VeronicaTex
We are now into Holy Week...The Triduum will be Holy Thursday (The Last Supper), Good Friday (Jesus' Crucifixion) and Easter Sunday (Jesus' Resurrection" ) Our Lord died for us!!!!
Tuesday at 11:35 PM
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree, candlegal.

I do not experience this daily, but in certain occasions, when God's Word and wisdom is trying to shine through, there Satan is to block it.

I do, though, having lived through this, do know that one should "Resist the devil and he will flee."

Satan knows his time is short and is seeking many souls.

Praise the Lord, Jesus died for this, and in sacrifice for us, has shown us the way to overcome evil, so that we can spend our eternity in heaven.

Veronica-Catholic Charismatic

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Seasidegirl:

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Yes there is evil. How can you know good is without knowing what bad is. 

There has to be some kind balance.

Good/Evil
Light/Dark
Yin/Yang

I cannot understand these people who say that there is no such thing, 

If you view evil and good as positive and negative which occures naturally in all living things, then it does exists and as long as you keep them balanced, there should never be a problem. Since I don't think a baby is born with his energy out of balance, then it would seem life experiences would be what throws everything off balance and makes the negative or positive more prevalent than the other.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this

VeronicaTex
We are now into Holy Week...The Triduum will be Holy Thursday (The Last Supper), Good Friday (Jesus' Crucifixion) and Easter Sunday (Jesus' Resurrection" ) Our Lord died for us!!!!
Tuesday at 11:35 PM
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM

No, it does not make Satan a myth.

I am doing a Bible Study with another Catholic friend right now on the book of Job.

Satan was not a figure in the Old Testament and Jesus has not yet been born.

The only figure there was God, the Father.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Funny... Satan doesn't exist in the Old Testament. Job is actually a rip-off of the more ancient Babylonian poem: THE RIGHTEOUS SUFFERER, which all bible believers consider myth, so doesn't that make Satan a myth as well?

Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I believe sociopaths are pure evil and will never or can never be changed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured