Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin-off: Do you believe evil exists? Do you think some people are just plain evil?

Posted by   + Show Post

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Seasidegirl:

Do you believe evil exists?

It is useful to have a label to use to refer to the abstract concept, evil.  And it makes sense to apply that label to certain actions.

I'm less certain that it is in any way useful to apply it to people or objects.  It is an over simplification of how the human motivation and decision making system works.

And I think it is very misleading to use the label in any way that implies that the abstract concept has some type of physical or spiritual reality, that has volition.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Quoting VeronicaTex:

No, it does not make Satan a myth. Why not? Elaborate...

I am doing a Bible Study with another Cathoic friend right now on the book of Job. Well, make sure you study the Babylonian Poem as well. Don't just assume that because it's in your holy book, it wasn't taken from a far older belief.

Satan was not a figure in the Old Testament and Jesus has not yet been born. Huh? I already told you he wasn't in the OT (besides the stolen Job book) and are you saying Satan doesn't show up until Jesus was born?  Where was he all that time? Decorating Hell with cattle skulls and roasting pigs over open fire pits?

The only figure there was God, the Father. Then why the 'created in our image' thing in Genesis? Does he have multiple personality disorder?

Veronica-Roman Caatholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Not only does evil exist, Satan is alive and well and many people do battle with him daily.
Quoting Seasidegirl:

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

Funny... Satan doesn't exist in the Old Testament. Job is actually a rip-off of the more ancient Babylonian poem: THE RIGHTEOUS SUFFERER, which all bible believers consider myth, so doesn't that make Satan a myth as well?

PestPatti
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I think they're are some who are easily persuaded to do bad acts. 

couture-mommy
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
4 moms liked this
Satan and evil are alive and well.
Evil always tries to corrupt good, been that way since the beginning
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know about "evil". I'm not religious and I think that taken literally "evil" has too much of a religious connotation. You can use evil as an adjective to describe people, but isn't the root cause of the situation.

I absolutely believe there are born sociopaths. I think some people are just born "wrong". I think that most violent acts are caused by people with genetic or psychological flaws that make it easier for them to do certain things. 

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this

I am going to decline your advice.

This is why:  I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

You, of all people, IhartU, should know that about me by now.

I would also appreciate you quit with the "You are stupid, Veronica, routine".

Thank you,

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I am doing a Bible Study with another Cathoic friend right now on the book of Job. Well, make sure you study the Babylonian Poem as well. Don't just assume that because it's in your holy book, it wasn't taken from a far older belief.

Satan was not a figure in the Old Testament and Jesus has not yet been born. Huh? I already told you he wasn't in the OT (besides the stolen Job book) and are you saying Satan doesn't show up until Jesus was born?  Where was he all that time? Decorating Hell with cattle skulls and roasting pigs over open fire pits?

The only figure there was God, the Father. Then why the 'created in our image' thing in Genesis? Does he have multiple personality disorder?

Veronica-Roman Caatholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Not only does evil exist, Satan is alive and well and many people do battle with him daily.
Quoting Seasidegirl:

Funny... Satan doesn't exist in the Old Testament. Job is actually a rip-off of the more ancient Babylonian poem: THE RIGHTEOUS SUFFERER, which all bible believers consider myth, so doesn't that make Satan a myth as well?

Sharbear42371
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Yes. I believe sociopaths are pure evil and will never or can never be changed.

I also feel this way.
VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

BUMP!

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I am bumping this because of the Original Post.

It is a topic I feel deserves much exploration.

Thank you, Seasidegirl,  for posting it.

Veronica-Roman Catholic.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

BUMP!

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

so by not reading anything outside of the catholic faith you knowing take the path of ignorance? Why would you do that? They do say ignorance is bliss.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I am going to decline your advice.

This is why:  I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

You, of all people, IhartU, should know that about me by now.

I would also appreciate you quit with the "You are stupid, Veronica, routine".

Thank you,

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Veronica-Roman Caatholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured