Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Spin-off: Do you believe evil exists? Do you think some people are just plain evil?

Posted by   + Show Post

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Replies (121-126):
PamR
by Pam on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Aside from religious theories, what makes a person evil?  Are they born missing some part that gives them a conscience?  Is it events in their early life?  Is there some genetic predisposition to this kind of behavior?

PamR
by Pam on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I refuse to confuse myself with reading anythign that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.  This explains a lot.

I don't think challenging your ideas or asking for explainations equals calling you stupid.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I am going to decline your advice.

This is why:  I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

You, of all people, IhartU, should know that about me by now.

I would also appreciate you quit with the "You are stupid, Veronica, routine".

Thank you,

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

No, it does not make Satan a myth. Why not? Elaborate...

I am doing a Bible Study with another Cathoic friend right now on the book of Job. Well, make sure you study the Babylonian Poem as well. Don't just assume that because it's in your holy book, it wasn't taken from a far older belief.

Satan was not a figure in the Old Testament and Jesus has not yet been born. Huh? I already told you he wasn't in the OT (besides the stolen Job book) and are you saying Satan doesn't show up until Jesus was born?  Where was he all that time? Decorating Hell with cattle skulls and roasting pigs over open fire pits?

The only figure there was God, the Father. Then why the 'created in our image' thing in Genesis? Does he have multiple personality disorder?

Veronica-Roman Caatholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Not only does evil exist, Satan is alive and well and many people do battle with him daily.
Quoting Seasidegirl:

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

Funny... Satan doesn't exist in the Old Testament. Job is actually a rip-off of the more ancient Babylonian poem: THE RIGHTEOUS SUFFERER, which all bible believers consider myth, so doesn't that make Satan a myth as well?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM

No...evil is stupid.

Bad exists, evil does not

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM

With all due respect, PamR, this poster and I have a history in another section, which I will not make public.

I will not go into it.

Please drop it.

Thank you,

Verronica

Quoting PamR:

I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.  This explains a lot.

I don't think challenging your ideas or asking for explainations equals calling you stupid.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I am going to decline your advice.

This is why:  I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

You, of all people, IhartU, should know that about me by now.

I would also appreciate you quit with the "You are stupid, Veronica, routine".

Thank you,

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

No, it does not make Satan a myth. Why not? Elaborate...

I am doing a Bible Study with another Cathoic friend right now on the book of Job. Well, make sure you study the Babylonian Poem as well. Don't just assume that because it's in your holy book, it wasn't taken from a far older belief.

Satan was not a figure in the Old Testament and Jesus has not yet been born. Huh? I already told you he wasn't in the OT (besides the stolen Job book) and are you saying Satan doesn't show up until Jesus was born?  Where was he all that time? Decorating Hell with cattle skulls and roasting pigs over open fire pits?

The only figure there was God, the Father. Then why the 'created in our image' thing in Genesis? Does he have multiple personality disorder?

Veronica-Roman Caatholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Not only does evil exist, Satan is alive and well and many people do battle with him daily.
Quoting Seasidegirl:

Funny... Satan doesn't exist in the Old Testament. Job is actually a rip-off of the more ancient Babylonian poem: THE RIGHTEOUS SUFFERER, which all bible believers consider myth, so doesn't that make Satan a myth as well?

Tranla
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I think evil does exist. I think some people are inherently evil just as others are inherently good and the rest tend towards good or evil based on their experiences. Don't know the percentage of people that are affected more by nature vs nurture in this area. But the most heinous people can come from the best parents and vice versa.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jeweldragons
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Evil and good both exist. I do believe some people are born evil just as others are born good. We all have evil in us. Just some people for some unknown reason seem to prefer being bad rather than helping others. Evil and good are always at war inside us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN