Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Spin-off: Do you believe evil exists? Do you think some people are just plain evil?

Posted by   + Show Post

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Replies (21-30):
kaybear123
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I believe we all have evil inside us. It's waiting for our weakest point to take over. Anyone has potential to become evil if it over comes the good in us.

CafeMom Tickers
AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

As a Catholic, I do believe in evil but I don't believe that human beings can be "just plain evil."

lga1965
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I don't know about "evil". I'm not religious and I think that taken literally "evil" has too much of a religious connotation. You can use evil as an adjective to describe people, but isn't the root cause of the situation.

I absolutely believe there are born sociopaths. I think some people are just born "wrong". I think that most violent acts are caused by people with genetic or psychological flaws that make it easier for them to do certain things. 

I agree. I think some people are born "wrong".

it seems to me that our brain is actually our "soul", an organ that is pre-wired and collects information through the senses, some are born "evil", but I also know there is no Satan. Satan is a scapegoat, a fictional character to blame instead of blaming people. As in "the Devil made me do it". LOL.

lga1965
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that describes the first person I ever knew who I suspected was "evil". She was a teller supervisor when I worked at a small bank down south. SHe drove people away---employees were quitting and leaving that bank every few months. I left after 6 months. I was so upset I was about to have an ulcer. Etc. It was a horrible time .

And yes, when I read Online news or watch  TV news, I see evidence of evil people. And I don't blame the fictional "Satan". I blame people. And some are never cured.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I am going to decline your advice. This is why: I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

Statements like that are why some christians get called willfully ignorant and arrogant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Absolutely, I think some even strive to be.

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Where do get that?

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Not only does evil exist, Satan is alive and well and many people do battle with him daily.
Quoting Seasidegirl:

Funny... Satan doesn't exist in the Old Testament. Job is actually a rip-off of the more ancient Babylonian poem: THE RIGHTEOUS SUFFERER, which all bible believers consider myth, so doesn't that make Satan a myth as well?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Evil is...intentions and intentional acts (both being 'acts' or 'personally directed events' and not 'things') of intelligent agents, that violate the God-derived principles of love, fairness, or loyalty. 

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

You are more cunning than Ihartu is, but also very transparent.

I am shaking the dust from my sandals and walking away.

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I am going to decline your advice.

This is why:  I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

You, of all people, IhartU, should know that about me by now.

I would also appreciate you quit with the "You are stupid, Veronica, routine".

Thank you,

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Not only does evil exist, Satan is alive and well and many people do battle with him daily.

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Form your own opinions, jilcali.

You do have a free will.

However, I REFUSE to take responsibility for YOUR untrue and willfully ugly assessment.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting jllcali:

I am going to decline your advice. This is why: I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

Statements like that are why some christians get called willfully ignorant and arrogant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN