Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Spin-off: Do you believe evil exists? Do you think some people are just plain evil?

Posted by   + Show Post

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Replies (31-40):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe there are sociopaths who haven't fallen off the edge yet. There are schizophrenics who haven't had a psychotic break. I'm still mulling actual evil, but I'm on the Yes side of the fence at the moment.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Yes there is evil. How can you know good is without knowing what bad is. 

There has to be some kind balance.

Good/Evil
Light/Dark
Yin/Yang

I cannot understand these people who say that there is no such thing, 

If you view evil and good as positive and negative which occures naturally in all living things, then it does exists and as long as you keep them balanced, there should never be a problem. Since I don't think a baby is born with his energy out of balance, then it would seem life experiences would be what throws everything off balance and makes the negative or positive more prevalent than the other.

Just like everything else in life, good/evil is subjective. Some see it as "evil" for a cute little bunny rabbit to be attack and eaten by the wolf. However, others see it for what it is ... nature in action.

The things we experience in life does throw energies out of balance which is why many meditate, go fishing, read a book, visit a friend ... they are trying to right the balance. 

I think nature has her own way of keeping everything balanced but we humans are seriously throwing nature OFF balance and right now, she is trying to fix it. What we are seeing as negative or "evil", nature is seeing as positive or "good" to right her balance. 

*yawn* Sorry ... haven't had very much sleep and I keep dozing off. Hope I made some kind of sense and didn't constantly talk in meaningless circles. 

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Yes I do. And I don't care what people say but sandy hook and the theater shootings were just plain evil IMO mental illness had nothing to do with it. There are plenty of  people with mental problems who don't kill. And I'm sick of everyone using it to excuse these cold blooded killers.

tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I don't believe in a spiritual entity that is evil.  I believe we humans create our own evil.  The gods have nothing to do with it.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I think there are bad people in the world.

I do not believe in supernatural evil.

PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM
No, I do not believe in evil.
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM
How do you view bad as being different then evil?
Quoting romalove:

tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Sorry, I had to cut the quote tree due to CM not working properly. The part I left is what I don't understand about monotheistic religions. Why can't you read things that might seem contrary to your faiths doctrines? I don't get a faith that won't allow questions.
Quoting VeronicaTex:

I am going to decline your advice.

This is why:  I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM
You are responsible for how you present yourself to the world.

How is my statement untrue? Someone makes a statement, someone else interprets it. That is communication. Like it or not, if someone says they refuse to consider looking at any side of a story other than their own (such as you have in this thread), someone else is going to think that is foolish and ignorant.

Please note, I have not called anyone willfully ignorant and arrogant with my below statement. I was merely informing you of how some perceptions are formed. If you assumed I was insulting you somehow, that is on you and it says more about you than I.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Form your own opinions, jilcali.

You do have a free will.

However, I REFUSE to take responsibility for YOUR untrue and willfully ugly assessment.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting jllcali:

I am going to decline your advice. This is why: I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

Statements like that are why some christians get called willfully ignorant and arrogant.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

How do you view bad as being different then evil?
Quoting romalove:

I thought I was clear.

To me, evil is bad brought on by supernatural forces.  Bad is just bad.

Now, I didn't check so a dictionary may differ from my opinion here.  But I am differentiating.

Is there bad in the world?  Yes

Is there supernatural evil?  No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)