Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Spin-off: Do you believe evil exists? Do you think some people are just plain evil?

Posted by   + Show Post

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Replies (41-50):
VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this

I will only speak for myself:  I did all my questioning when I was younger.

I arrived to a point when I did not need to question anymore.

At one time I was interested in knowing what other people, of other Religions thought.

I joined a Debate group here on CM and got bashed seriously for being a Roman Catholic.

This is UNFAIR, and was, sadly allowed.

The worst people of other faiths actually were the ones who had left the Catholic faith and were now, for the most part looking for opportunities to bully and troll.

I am very content where I am now.

I have found what I am looking for.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Sorry, I had to cut the quote tree due to CM not working properly. The part I left is what I don't understand about monotheistic religions. Why can't you read things that might seem contrary to your faiths doctrines? I don't get a faith that won't allow questions.
Quoting VeronicaTex:

I am going to decline your advice.

This is why:  I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM
3 moms liked this
With Satan AND his demons.

Quoting candlegal:

Not only does evil exist, Satan is alive and well and many people do battle with him daily.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

I think I lived in a fantasy land when I was younger. I did not believe evil existed. I thought that people behaved badly due to bad things that had happened to them -- period.

When I was young, I met a woman at work who really was the first person I described as "evil." Who she was really shook me. . . conniving, underhanded, dishonest, walked on others, everything was about what could most benefit her. She honestly had no feeelings for anyone else. She was just absolutely awful. I suppose she was a sociopath.

Today, she seems so innocuous compared to other things I've heard about and seen since: children and animals tortured, genocide, people being destroyed financially through the greed of others. . . etc.

I do believe evil exists. I do think there are evil people. I think there really is a "battle between good and evil" every day in the world.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I have already answered your question.

This now falls on YOU.

Veronica

Quoting jllcali:

You are responsible for how you present yourself to the world.

How is my statement untrue? Someone makes a statement, someone else interprets it. That is communication. Like it or not, if someone says they refuse to consider looking at any side of a story other than their own (such as you have in this thread), someone else is going to think that is foolish and ignorant.

Please note, I have not called anyone willfully ignorant and arrogant with my below statement. I was merely informing you of how some perceptions are formed. If you assumed I was insulting you somehow, that is on you and it says more about you than I.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Form your own opinions, jilcali.

You do have a free will.

However, I REFUSE to take responsibility for YOUR untrue and willfully ugly assessment.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting jllcali:

I am going to decline your advice. This is why: I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

Statements like that are why some christians get called willfully ignorant and arrogant.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Not foolish, but by mere definition of the word - ignorant. Being ignorant is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes, it just is what it is and nothing more.

Quoting jllcali:

How is my statement untrue? Someone makes a statement, someone else interprets it. That is communication. Like it or not, if someone says they refuse to consider looking at any side of a story other than their own (such as you have in this thread), someone else is going to think that is foolish and ignorant.

Please note, I have not called anyone willfully ignorant and arrogant with my below statement. I was merely informing you of how some perceptions are formed. If you assumed I was insulting you somehow, that is on you and it says more about you than I.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

You do have a free will.

However, I REFUSE to take responsibility for YOUR untrue and willfully ugly assessment.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting jllcali:

I am going to decline your advice. This is why: I refuse to confuse myself with reading anything that is not of my Roman Catholic faith.

Statements like that are why some christians get called willfully ignorant and arrogant.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I agree with you, OP.   Some people are indeed evil.  I do believe some are just born bad.  Others, often times more so, people who are like the person you described are a product of their environment added in with their core personality.   Mental issues add in for many people.  Some make the choice to just be mean and come off as evil.  Evil does exist.  

lancet98
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I have met people who have done bad things, I have even been affected by the bad things they've done.

But I do not believe in a principle of evil, that there is a concept, entity, force, will or power, like Evil.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

I don't agree that people do things due to evil, or to bad things that happen to them.  

I think there are many reasons that people do bad things.  

I think in some cases, like the recent bombings in Boston, people are radicalized by radical groups.  They're drawn in simply enough.   The key to 'recruiting' people into radical ideas is focusing on people who feel lost and confused.

In other cases, I think people are taught 'the art of selfishness'(this phrase was originally used in a different way, for setting boundaries, etc).   Usually they learn this within their family and it is a multi-generational...'tradition'.   The idea is that there is an 'us' and a 'them', and it's ok to rip off or be cruel to 'them', chiefly because we are 'us'.   

This idea can be rooted in various values.  One is a sense that one has the right to make up for past wrongs (real or imagined).   Another is that others are 'inferior' and 'separate' so it's alright to rip them off.   Another is that 'you have to do that to get ahead'.  Another is that the system is 'bad' so it's alright to act against the 'system'.

Another reason for 'bad' behavior is what is probably actually a group of poorly understood disorders, often called 'antisocial personality disorder'.   Their brains have not developed like other's.   They seem to have no sense of restraint or empathy.

Another reason for 'bad' behavior is severe mental illness.   Impulses, uncontrollable behavior based on irrational thoughts.

Or a successful corporate citizen...LOL.   There is an awful lot of behavior like that in business. 

I was talking about this yesterday with a young lawyer.   There is a certain level of greed and self interest that is very, very common in business and in other competitive endeavors.  

There will always be people who lack morals and good conduct.   That to me is not so interesting as this: despite that, there will also always be good people.   This is really the mystery of human existence.

We have a bombing.   Two fanatics set a bomb in a public place.   People hear a bomb blast, and run TOWARD the sound.  Runners keep running - to a hospital, to give blood.   Ordinary folks rip the shirts off their backs to make torniquets.   Wheelchairs appear, people are rushed to safety.  Millions of people sit riveted to their tv or ipod to hear how the victims are recovering.   Police doggedly and quietly look for the bombers, risking their own lives at every moment.  

Specialized doctors with experience in treating blast victims are called in, and despite the mayhem, confusion and excitement, quietly treat the bomb victims, saving dozens of lives through meticulous attention to their severe wounds.

And the true proof of the triumph of good acts over bad:  only hours later, they just as efficiently and quietly and thoroughly, save the life of one of the bombers, so that justice will quietly go forward, so more can be learned about the chain of communication in those terror groups, to create a chance that other lives can be saved, some day in the future - work they will never be given credit for, work they will never even see, but imagine in their mind's eye.

I don't agree.   To me, there is no such entity as evil.  Make no mistake.   I have no sympathy and no illusions about violent criminals.   But just as with a biting dog, I see little point in wasting hatred on them.   I want to know how to teach dogs not to bite, and if that is not possible with a given dog, I want to know what needs to be done to keep others safe.

But I do believe in every part of myself, that there is good in people, a small spark, something divine in the sense that it is without end and without measure and without division. 

It is boundless, has no dimension, has no beginning nor end.  And it is incredibly powerful, and  it is the single thing that makes our existence meaningful.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Quoting candlegal:

Not only does evil exist, Satan is alive and well and many people do battle with him daily.
Quoting Seasidegirl:

I agree with you.  For me, I know that Satan works through people.  He tries to do through some and they cast him out.  

We may not agree of many things but we do agree when it comes to Satan.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Yes there is evil. How can you know good is without knowing what bad is. 

There has to be some kind balance.

Good/Evil
Light/Dark
Yin/Yang

I cannot understand these people who say that there is no such thing, 

If you view evil and good as positive and negative which occures naturally in all living things, then it does exists and as long as you keep them balanced, there should never be a problem. Since I don't think a baby is born with his energy out of balance, then it would seem life experiences would be what throws everything off balance and makes the negative or positive more prevalent than the other.

Just like everything else in life, good/evil is subjective. Some see it as "evil" for a cute little bunny rabbit to be attack and eaten by the wolf. However, others see it for what it is ... nature in action.

The things we experience in life does throw energies out of balance which is why many meditate, go fishing, read a book, visit a friend ... they are trying to right the balance. 

I think nature has her own way of keeping everything balanced but we humans are seriously throwing nature OFF balance and right now, she is trying to fix it. What we are seeing as negative or "evil", nature is seeing as positive or "good" to right her balance. 

*yawn* Sorry ... haven't had very much sleep and I keep dozing off. Hope I made some kind of sense and didn't constantly talk in meaningless circles. 

Interesting take on it.

I can certainly see this.

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Some people are going to think someone who says something like that is foolish and ignorant. Not everyone will, which is why I said "some" and not "everyone".

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Not foolish, but by mere definition of the word - ignorant. Being ignorant is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes, it just is what it is and nothing more.

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

You do have a free will.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting jllcali:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe in evil as a useful concept, but not as a supernatural force.  My idea of good is the same, a concept, not a supernatural force.  I don't believe that good and evil are locked in an eternal struggle at the level of the universe, but at the level of human society they are.  

I'm interested in what makes a person so disconnected from others that he/she can do evil things to them, and I think some people are born with very little potential for good, sadly.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN