Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

should the boston bomber be prosecuted as an enemy combatant?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 188 Replies
I'm hearing a lot of people demand he be treated as such but considering he is a naturalized American citizen, can they do that?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I read a bit on this last night.  

He is an American citizen.  I think, for many, that is where the heart of this lies.  Now, just because he is an American citizen does not mean he acted as such, or in the best interest of our country.  That seems a given.  But.......how should an American citizen act in order to be treated as one?  

Being a citizen, him or any one.........affords them certain rights (as well as responsibilities) that otherwise would not be in the equation.  Do we forgo his rights due to his actions?  Can we legally do so?  If we do, what does that present for the future in regards to some one else take part in terrorist activity such as this kid has done.

Part of me can understand the want to throw away his American rights.  I can.  But overall, if we do this........what happens down the road.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a bit off topic but I am curious as to what any one else has read.

It is reported that the older brother was on the ground, the attempt to handcuff was in progress, when the younger brother drove the SUV he was in right at the officers.  The officers moved and the younger brother ended up running over his older brother.

Is that what killed the older brother?

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
These are my thoughts as well. Born here or not, he is one of ours. If they don't follow guidelines with him, it's a slippery slope of how our other citizens will be treated.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I read a bit on this last night.  

He is an American citizen.  I think, for many, that is where the heart of this lies.  Now, just because he is an American citizen does not mean he acted as such, or in the best interest of our country.  That seems a given.  But.......how should an American citizen act in order to be treated as one?  

Being a citizen, him or any one.........affords them certain rights (as well as responsibilities) that otherwise would not be in the equation.  Do we forgo his rights due to his actions?  Can we legally do so?  If we do, what does that present for the future in regards to some one else take part in terrorist activity such as this kid has done.

Part of me can understand the want to throw away his American rights.  I can.  But overall, if we do this........what happens down the road.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM
They said he had burn marks and bullet wounds. He was in cardiac arrest from all of it. The hospital didn't mention being ran over as one of his injuries.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

It is reported that the older brother was on the ground, the attempt to handcuff was in progress, when the younger brother drove the SUV he was in right at the officers.  The officers moved and the younger brother ended up running over his older brother.

EmmaGlenn20
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

YES. Yes he should. He came to this country with the intent to harm and kill. He is a terrorist (if found guilty, of course).

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Quoting ashellbell:

They said he had burn marks and bullet wounds. He was in cardiac arrest from all of it. The hospital didn't mention being ran over as one of his injuries.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Sorry to derail, or rather I hope I don't end up doing so.

Was just curious as to what others have read, heard, etc.

EmmaGlenn20
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I saw the picture of his body, he had injuries on his upper body consistent with being run over and it was reported that he was as well.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

YES. Yes he should. He came to this country with the intent to harm and kill. He is a terrorist (if found guilty, of course).

That would mean when he came to this country, 10 years ago, his intent was to harm and kill.

Your source for this, please?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

I saw the picture of his body, he had injuries on his upper body consistent with being run over and it was reported that he was as well.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Where?  In regards to the photos, I mean.

Greenstone920
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM
3 moms liked this
SMH. He came here with his parents as a child. I don't know too many 7 year olds who would go to a country thinking "oh I can't wait to hurt and kill the people here."

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN