Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

should the boston bomber be prosecuted as an enemy combatant?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm hearing a lot of people demand he be treated as such but considering he is a naturalized American citizen, can they do that?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Replies (151-160):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM
I don't know. Do you know for sure they aren't??

Quoting 12hellokitty:So do you think all the people at GITMO are innocent?

Quoting ashellbell:I understand when he became a citizen, he's still been here since 2002 when he was 9. Not an Islamic extremist (which signs) are pointing to that. How many Islamic extremists that have committed attacks are usually taken alive?
Quoting 12hellokitty:
 He just became a citizen last September.
You seriously don't think he knows much?  A true extremist wouldn't have been taken alive? 

Quoting ashellbell:He's been in this country since he was 8. There's no record of him leaving the country, unlike his brother. I think this kid was radicalized by his brother. I don't think there will be a lot of info for him to give because he doesn't know enough. If he was truly an extremist, he wouldn't have let himself get taken in alive. It just doesn't add up for me. Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem as though he's an extremist like the other one.
Quoting 12hellokitty:
You don't think the foreign ties might have wanted to know the younger brother to make sure he could be trusted? 
He has not been an American citizen for very long and if it can be shown he lied or misrepresented himself during his naturalization process then his citizenship should be revoked.

Quoting ashellbell:I never said he wasn't radicalized. That doesn't make him any less of an American citizen not does any of the evidence prove (so far) that he was the one with foreign ties.
Quoting 12hellokitty:
 The younger brother was at a party days after the bombing and people have said he was no different.  You are naive if you don't think the younger brother was just as radicalized as the older.

Quoting ashellbell:What if his brother did have ties to a foreign group, the younger brother (who doesn't seem to have any) should pay for that as being treated as a combatant?
Quoting Greenstone920:unless he or his brother are found to be members of al Qaeda, I think this enemy combatant crap needs to be taken off the table.

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Where do you find treason?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

An American Citizen can be tried for treason.  

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM
He guilty, which ever way they decide to prosecute the kid. They should just skip the court fiasco, have him plead guilty. Move on aint gonna bring deceased back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I think so too.

Quoting hopealways4019:

He guilty, which ever way they decide to prosecute the kid. They should just skip the court fiasco, have him plead guilty. Move on aint gonna bring deceased back.

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Yah, that worked oh-so-swell in the west 100+ years ago @@  Stopped all murders, train robberies, bank robberies, rape, murder, right?

Quoting Susan0805:

How is it acting like animals? It's called justice and prevention of further acts of violence. I bet people will be less likely to murder others when they know a rope is waiting for them instead of a cushy jail cell. When an animal is a threat we put it down. That protects everyone. When a human is a threat we analyze, coddle , feel sorry for, and prolong it's suffering. Is it really better to spend millions letting him rot in a cell?

Quoting ashellbell:

Yes, acting like animals is the best way to handle this.

Quoting Susan0805:

He is either a terrorist enemy, or a treasonist traitor! If guilty he should be hung or shot in the streets for all to see (so should all others who harm innocent people especially children but that's a different post).

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I've given up explaining my view to her, as she just doesn't get it. In her mind, she can't possibly understand why everyone wouldn't want to witness the murder of criminals. And yes, it's still MURDER. There is a difference between revenge and justice, but some people just don't get it. 

Quoting ashellbell:

Smh. We realize all of this. Some of just believe that revenge seeks revenge seeks revenge. Not all of us (even those of us who have lost people due to other's violence) want to continue the bloodshed. We don't demand death for others. We know what's in this world, but I'm no killer and won't treat people like animals that need to be put down. Not all of us find killing someone to be justice.

Quoting Susan0805:

It's interesting to me how sheltered some people are. Death and dying are not pretty but it is part of life. Did you know that the meat you eat didn't come from a pretty package, it came from an animal that gave it's life so that your tummy could be full. I grew up in the south, I've seen animals slaughtered. It is not barbaric, it is a time to be reverent to the animal and thankful for it's sacrifice. I've worked in hospitals and seen people harm each other, viruses and disease dwindle a body,I've helped the doctor care for I'll people, that may seem barbaric but it's a fact of life, and just because you haven't seen it it doesn't mean it doesn't happen! At 19 years old I helped unload gurneys off of airplanes of troops coming home injured and afflicted from fighting war. Injury, illness, and death are part of life! We should be loving and protective of everything good. There is no room or time to deal with evil and murdering of innocent people. Oppression and these horrendous acts should be taken seriously and dealt with harshly. America became such a good place because of blood, sweet, and tears. Am I desensitized to blood? Maybe, because of my experiences. Am I blood thirsty, barbaric, or disturbed, no and how dare you to make such an accusation. Life is not butterflies and rainbows, open your eyes and look around you!!

Mrs.LSU
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM
After killing 4 people one being an 8 yr old child, He doesn't deserve an easy way out. And nor would he get one if it was my child that he killed. If you want to sympathize with a cold blooded killer that's you, not me.

Quoting ashellbell:

We'll disagree on the painful death thing. To torture someone makes us no better than him. I'd like to think we've evolved past that.

Quoting Mrs.LSU:I saw the body also...pretty disgusting.

No matter how they want to go, if guilty as we pretty much know he is, he deserves nothing less than a painful death. I can't stand these murderers, they only care when it comes to their survival. No regards for anyone elses.

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Do they?  http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

Quoting ashellbell:

You're right, I forgot states that have death penalties have the lowest murder rates. I don't care if you want him dead, but to hang him or shoot him out in the streets for all to see and celebrate isn't in my scope of thinking. I choose not to celebrate death, no matter whose death it is. I'm not blood thirsty.

Quoting Susan0805:

How is it acting like animals? It's called justice and prevention of further acts of violence. I bet people will be less likely to murder others when they know a rope is waiting for them instead of a cushy jail cell. When an animal is a threat we put it down. That protects everyone. When a human is a threat we analyze, coddle , feel sorry for, and prolong it's suffering. Is it really better to spend millions letting him rot in a cell?

Quoting ashellbell:

Yes, acting like animals is the best way to handle this.

Quoting Susan0805:

He is either a terrorist enemy, or a treasonist traitor! If guilty he should be hung or shot in the streets for all to see (so should all others who harm innocent people especially children but that's a different post).

lancet98
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I don't think the suspect qualifies as an enemy combattant.  

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM

He was 9 when he came here, that was NOT why he came here

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

YES. Yes he should. He came to this country with the intent to harm and kill. He is a terrorist (if found guilty, of course).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN