Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Any World History Buffs?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have been pondering something and will be doing some Google searches later but was wondering if anyone could give me any input or a place to start?

Since the Queen is the queen of so many countries, why did they not rebel?  I am basing this on assumption, but when all of these other countries were settled by foriegn settlers out of England, why was the US the only country to rebel and leave the monarchy?  Am I looking at this all wrong? 

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, when the colonies rebelled and began the U.S. revolution, there was a king in charge, not queen (that would be George III). 

And many, many other places did rebel (for example, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales are individual countries).I'm sure if you were to google British Colonial history, you'd find plenty; particularly, India - southern Asia in general - and Africa.

Of course, the American Revolution can be seen as the beginning of the end of the British Empire. 

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM
The US wasn't the only one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM

The Colonies were having an issue with being taxed, but being able to have input on it, like mainland England was able to.

The taxes were passed through a vote that most English citizens were involved in, but the Colonies were ignored on these things until it came time to actually enforce the new tax or law etc. Which is why one of the sayings was "No taxation without representation"

Now, the other smaller islands and all that.. probably didn't feel the brunt of the taxation, because they were either plantation islands or they were doing better under English rule or they just didn't have the capacity to fight back. 

Alot of what England once ruled has either become their own country, become part of the US or given back to the original country of origin (Hong Kong was a British colony until 1997)

Go through and research each colony under British rule (current and former) and that may give you some more answers

MissTacoBell
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM
We weren't the only one, we were the biggest though. And we won.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM

They aren't.

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Thanks for the info Ladies.  This gives me some good jumping off points. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)