Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should I encourage play?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

Yesterday we found out that one of my daughters classmates is also in the same soccer league and goes to our church.  The girls talked for a few minutes and then we had to go.  I later asked my daughter if she was good friends with that girl and she told me no because that girl told her twice at recess that she did not want to be friends with my daughter.  This struck me as odd because they are in kindergarten.  How rude!  With that said, I am not one to coddle and I believe in comforting my child but letting her experience the real world.  In the real world we come across people who don't like us for whatever reason.  I had talked to the girls Mom yesterday previous to my daughter telling me this and we discussed a future play-date.  Now I am conflicted.  I don't really want to force my daughter into a play-date with someone who does not like her but I am also thinking that they are only kindergartners and will be in the same school system, church and sports leagues.  So, would you encourage a play-date or just tell your child there are other fish in the sea?

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Have the playdate, see how it goes. A different setting could help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM
This

Quoting PinkParadox:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM

keep the play-date.... it could have been since it was at recess and other girls were around and the other girl was "acting cool"

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I am thinking this too.  One thing I noticed yesterday was that the girl was painfully shy.  I almost wonder if my daughter was too forward for her.  My daughter is shy as well but very point-blank.  She told me that she straight up asked the girl twice if she wanted to be friends, 'hi, do you want to be friends" and the girl said no.  So I wonder if my daughter was just too forward?

Quoting PinkParadox:

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Yes, I remember those acting cool days.  I actually remember telling a girl I didn't like her in 3rd grade on the playground.  I had that flashback while I was talking about this with my daughter and I felt so guilty and like a bully!  Amazing that 20+ years later I could feel that way.  I am trying to teach my daughter to just accept people and base her opinion of them on the way that person treats her and other people. 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

keep the play-date.... it could have been since it was at recess and other girls were around and the other girl was "acting cool"

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Kids that age could be saying they don't want to be friends for any reason.  Does your daughter want to go?  If she says yes, I would let her, if not, put it off.  They could very well become better friends in the future, meaning next week.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN